bisurge

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2009 09:44 am
I hate all those people that continually talk about how all the troops are there to fight 100 Al Queda and less than 10,000 Taliban members. Because their sphere of influence reaches many, MANY civilians. Especially religious conservatives/radicals. That's what's first.
Second, I'm disappointed Obama wants to appease the rightists. Honestly, some of them have good ideas, but many of their politicians and leaders want Obama to fail simply because he's left-wing.
Third, I'm angry at all the war supporters not supporting this. Hypocrites. Why don't you support this? Is it because Fox News doesn't? Shouldn't you be happy for the troop surge? You were for the war, just not more troops? Why, is the draft finally looking to close to your own life and family?
That leads me to my fourth point. For all the war supporters, we should have 2 things. For them. 1. A mandatory draft for both genders. 2. A wartime tax. Rich people investing in those companies helping "rebuild" Afghanistan and Iraq and bomb Afghanistan and Iraq are getting richer because of their investments. Those companies are getting money from both the US and the foreign governments to do what they're doing. Part of it goes to investors, of course. What complete BS. Give them a wartime tax and see who will support it. Give those political snobs a mandatory draft for both genders and see who will support it. See who will support it when the people already supporting it have their money taken away and possibly their sons and daughters.
(That's why I don't think McCain is a bad person, just a bad politician.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,060 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Whatever cv

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 02:59 am
@bisurge,
Here's your reality check.

Pentagon Pouring Your Money Into Afghanistan: Are They Preparing for a Very Long War? | | AlterNet

Quote:
In fiscal year 2009, for example, the civilian U.S. Agency for International Development awarded $20 million in contracts for work in Afghanistan, while the U.S. Army alone awarded $2.2 billion -- $834 million of it for construction projects. In fact, according to Walter Pincus of the Washington Post, the Pentagon has spent "roughly $2.7 billion on construction over the past three fiscal years" in that country and, "if its request is approved as part of the fiscal 2010 defense appropriations bill, it would spend another $1.3 billion on more than 100 projects at 40 sites across the country, according to a Senate report on the legislation."

Bogged Down at Bagram

Nowhere has the building boom been more apparent than Bagram Air Base, a key military site used by the Soviet Union during its occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s. In its American incarnation, the base has significantly expanded from its old Soviet days and, in just the last two years, the population of the more than 5,000 acre compound has doubled to 20,000 troops, in addition to thousands of coalition forces and civilian contractors. To keep up with its exponential growth rate, more than $200 million in construction projects are planned or in-progress at this moment on just the Air Force section of the base. "Seven days a week, concrete trucks rumble along the dusty perimeter road of this air base as bulldozers and backhoes reshape the rocky earth," Chuck Crumbo of The State reported recently. "Hundreds of laborers slap mortar onto bricks as they build barracks and offices. Four concrete plants on the base have operated around the clock for 18 months to keep up with the construction needs."

The base already boasts fast food favorites Burger King, a combination Pizza Hut/Bojangles, and Popeyes as well as a day spa and shops selling jewelry, cell phones and, of course, Afghan rugs. In the near future, notes Pincus, "the military is planning to build a $30 million passenger terminal and adjacent cargo facility to handle the flow of troops, many of whom arrive at the base north of Kabul before moving on to other sites." In addition, according to the Associated Press, the base command is "acquiring more land next year on the east side to expand" even further.

To handle the influx of troops already being dispatched by the Obama administration (with more expected once the president decides on his long-term war plans) "new dormitories" are going up at Bagram, according to David Axe of the Washington Times. The base's population will also increase in the near future, thanks to a project-in-progress recently profiled in The Freedom Builder, an Army Corps of Engineers publication: the MILCON Bagram Theatre Internment Facility (TIF) currently being built at a cost of $60 million by a team of more than 1,000 Filipinos, Indians, Sri Lankans, and Afghans. When completed, it will consist of 19 buildings and 16 guard towers designed to hold more than 1,000 detainees on the sprawling base which has long been notorious for the torture and even murder of prisoners within its confines.

While the United States officially insists that it is not setting up permanent bases in Afghanistan, the scale and permanency of the construction underway at Bagram seems to suggest, at the least, a very long stay. According to published reports, in fact, the new terminal facilities for the complex aren't even slated to be operational until 2011.

The rich are just stealing taxes in Afghanistan since Iraq is shutting down.,
0 Replies

bisurge

Reply Mon 28 Dec, 2009 05:17 am
@bisurge,
Nice find. I thought the rich were making money off of investing in resources and in "rebuilding" places.
But how is that a reality check? (sorry I'm not good with terms like those)
Whatever cv

Reply Sat 2 Jan, 2010 09:45 am
@bisurge,
bisurge;69420 wrote:
Nice find. I thought the rich were making money off of investing in resources and in "rebuilding" places.
But how is that a reality check? (sorry I'm not good with terms like those)

They are. There's a pipeline being built in Afghanistan. That's why the contractors out number the troops 12 to 1

The Afghan Pipeline You Don't Know About

Quote:
bisurge

Reply Wed 6 Jan, 2010 03:46 pm
@Whatever cv,
Whatever!;69454 wrote:
They are. There's a pipeline being built in Afghanistan. That's why the contractors out number the troops 12 to 1

The Afghan Pipeline You Don't Know About

There's more than just pipelines. There's just a whole reconstruction of Afghanistan (including oil fields) that wasn't even put up to bid.
Here's one example.
BearingPoint Wins Afghanistan Rebuilding Contract -- Outsourcing -- InformationWeek
Now tell me it isn't coincidence that the army is giving these contracts away to big American corporations? Maybe boost American economy? Or make the rich richer in this case. Give the stockholders what they came for. Give the CEOs the rest. Hopefully let some trickle down to the lower employees before these big businessmen plug up the holes.
Now here's an even more ridiculous one.
Halliburton Watch
A no-bid $7 billion contract to extinguish oil fires and rebuild Iraq's oil infrastructure. How ridiculous. That's just complete crap. We don't see these making headline news.
How about Blackwater?
Blackwater CIA Updates Civilianism News
Quote:
Obviously, Blackwater is now protecting the oil companies.

That's what should be noted. They're protecting oil companies, not governments. They're guarding the CIA and oil fields. What? How about protecting the Iraqi government?
0 Replies