Selling Citizenship?

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 01:49 pm
YouTube - Should We Sell American Citizenship? - Michael Sandel

Now, this does raise some good questions.

I-What is the 'meaning' of citizenship?

II-What reasons are there for limiting entrance?

III- How should we determine whom to let in?
A-is citizenship a right, a reward, an advantage, or something else?
1If it is a right, how can we justify denying entrance to people?
2If it is a reward, then what it is a reward for?

IV- Should birth = citizenship? Why or why not?

thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Whip

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2009 02:23 pm
@JBeukema,
Ask the framers of the Constitution of these United States. I agree with them. Period. I have nothing more to say on this topic.
mimidamnit

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:45 pm
@Whip,
Whip;67271 wrote:
Ask the framers of the Constitution of these United States. I agree with them. Period. I have nothing more to say on this topic.

if u cant pull it out of the big book.. u wont discuss it? :dunno:.. the framers said leave it up to the states.. but we are not doing that are we?.. sell citizenship.. im sure it happens already.. the only immigration people are fussing about is coming from mexico.. i wrote an essay in 11th grade about immigration.. and made a 98%.. highest in the class.. and all i said rounded out to.. if they can make the same contribution that an "american" could.. why not allow them to come here... but on a probationary permit.. if they dont hold to it.. and they become dependent on the government.. their probationary period ends and they go home.. and i think that should go for all nationalities that want to come to america.. as for what to do with the americans that make no viable contribution.. eh.. i wish i knew lol.:p
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:53 pm
@mimidamnit,
Citizenship is no more an award than your birth certificate is an award. It's main purpose is for documentation and legal concerns.

I do believe that if someone wishes to make a better life for themself they should be able.

What happened to:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.. :dunno:
David cv

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 02:03 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;67407 wrote:
What happened to:

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.. :dunno:

300,000,000 people.
mimidamnit

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 06:21 am
@David cv,
David;67682 wrote:
300,000,000 people.

then maybe they should have put a cap on the number of heads they'll let in lol
0 Replies

Willie cv

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:02 am
@mimidamnit,
mimidamnit;67406 wrote:
if u cant pull it out of the big book.. u wont discuss it? :dunno:.. the framers said leave it up to the states.. but we are not doing that are we?.. sell citizenship.. im sure it happens already.. the only immigration people are fussing about is coming from mexico.. i wrote an essay in 11th grade about immigration.. and made a 98%.. highest in the class.. and all i said rounded out to.. if they can make the same contribution that an "american" could.. why not allow them to come here... but on a probationary permit.. if they dont hold to it.. and they become dependent on the government.. their probationary period ends and they go home.. and i think that should go for all nationalities that want to come to america.. as for what to do with the americans that make no viable contribution.. eh.. i wish i knew lol.:p

Where does it say citizenship will be left up to the states?
0 Replies