Need some help?!

Reply Wed 13 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
I was wondering if anyone knew an event in time that could have been prevented by limited our freedom of speech?Wink:spot:
If you do can u please email me at [email][email protected][/email]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,277 • Replies: 51
No top replies

briansol

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 03:05 am
@justwanthappinessandpeace,
martin luther king comes to mind...
billcompugeek

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 06:55 am
@briansol,
The slavery abolitionists. Wikipedia would be a good start.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 12:30 pm
I think this belongs in social issues as it's about freedom of expression rather then specifically religion

it's cool cause your new, but please think before you post

glad ur here :-)
0 Replies

justwanthappinessandpeace

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 05:17 pm
that is not what i am talking about i am talking about bad racial events that happened, because of our speech not being limited! Please help?????
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:01 pm
well

The 1st ammendment protects protestors, during the rodney king riots a white trucker was pulled from his truck and beaten by a group of protestors

Los Angeles riots of 1992 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll see if any more wander into my thoughts
Reagaknight

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 07:08 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;53426 wrote:
well

The 1st ammendment protects protestors, during the rodney king riots a white trucker was pulled from his truck and beaten by a group of protestors

Los Angeles riots of 1992 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll see if any more wander into my thoughts

That's a helluva stretch, if protestors are commiting a crime, bye-bye first amendment protection.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:05 pm
justwanthappinessandpeace;53360 wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knew an event in time that could have been prevented by limited our freedom of speech?Wink:spot:
If you do can u please email me at [email][email protected][/email]

Interesting question. Help me understand it better: "What major event in US (or human) history could have been prevented by limitations on our freedom of speech?"

911. Yeah. If we lived in a closed society, one locked up tighter than a frog's butt, OBL wouldn't have even known about the WTC. Also, to cite just one of millions of examples -- hostile foreign research and development. It's aided massively by open-source information circulating in our free society.

Reply Thu 14 Feb, 2008 08:30 pm
@Pinochet73,
ok not 911, i want to no what event major event in U.S. history could have been avoided if our freedom of sppech had been limited :dunno:
billcompugeek

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 03:26 am
I've got to go back to slavery abolitionist movement or the civil rights movement. The counter argument would be that people would perhaps talk and make speeches and protest anyway in open defiance of laws limiting freedom of speech.

Lots of religious leaders are credited with starting the abolitionist movement before the American Civil war, and Martin Luther King, also a religious leader, was given a lot of credit for the civil rights movement.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 05:58 am
justwanthappinessandpeace;53440 wrote:
ok not 911, i want to no what event major event in U.S. history could have been avoided if our freedom of sppech had been limited :dunno:

No offense, but I consider this a veiled, rhetorical question, based on a pre-determined strategy of some sort. You definitely have an agenda, and I'm not falling for it. WHAT WILL YOU ULTIMATELY SAY ABOUT BUSH OR THE PATRIOT ACT OR WHATEVER ELSE IS REALLY BOTHERING YOU??? Just spit it out. :mad:
billcompugeek

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 08:54 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;53452 wrote:
No offense, but I consider this a veiled, rhetorical question, based on a pre-determined strategy of some sort. You definitely have an agenda, and I'm not falling for it. WHAT WILL YOU ULTIMATELY SAY ABOUT BUSH OR THE PATRIOT ACT OR WHATEVER ELSE IS REALLY BOTHERING YOU??? Just spit it out. :mad:

Don't be silly, can't you tell it is someone who just wants us to do their school work for them?:cig:

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 02:16 pm
@billcompugeek,
billcompugeek;53460 wrote:
Don't be silly, can't you tell it is someone who just wants us to do their school work for them?:cig:

:damnit:You no it i need it to write an essay. Thanks 4 ur help but if you think of anything else post any way maybe i will put it in my essay!!! :240:
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Fri 15 Feb, 2008 04:01 pm
how about the whole vietnam protests?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 16 Feb, 2008 01:42 pm
@billcompugeek,
billcompugeek;53460 wrote:

The question is deliberately crafted to produce 'no' for an answer, and hence, attack Bush and his Patriot Act. Don't fall for it. Fight your Commie professor like a crazed banchee.:cussing::cussing::cussing:
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 04:19 pm
justwanthappinessandpeace;53440 wrote:

I am under the impression that limiting freedom of speech is not beneficial in any way.
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 08:12 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Kumbayaaa, my Lord. Kumbayaaa.:3some:Somebody cry'n, my Lord. Kumbayaaaaaa.:cry:Kumbayaaa, my Lord. Kumbayaaaa.:240:Oh, Lord......kumba---Whaaaa?????:wtf::rocketwhore:DIE, MF. FRIG'N DIE!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:43 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53576 wrote:
I am under the impression that limiting freedom of speech is not beneficial in any way.

I suspect you and Scoob would agree that anything that hurts America would be a good thing, including whatever the heck this silly question is asking of us.Laughing:cussing:Laughing
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 05:46 am
@Pinochet73,
Our Constitution has regularly been trampled upon during times of war for public safety and the common good. It's old news. Radicals hate the practice, but it's usually been done to protect Americans, and has had good results. Think of Lincoln and his suspension of Habeas Grabass, for example.:headbang:
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 19 Feb, 2008 05:07 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;53587 wrote:
I suspect you and Scoob would agree that anything that hurts America would be a good thing, including whatever the heck this silly question is asking of us.Laughing:cussing:Laughing

wow, you bite even when you don't know what the question is.