• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,227 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:19 am
@Edna cv,
Too bad most of us are clueless about the inner workings of Estonian politics. Otherwise we might be able to comment intelligently on this subject.
It is obvious which side you are on, but we don't have all the story, do we?
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:04 pm
@Edna cv,
Edna;46706 wrote:

The Baltic States were horribly oppressed throughout the history of the USSR, and prior to that were ancillary states to the Polish, Lithuanian, and Russian Empires. It makes sense that a people who have been put down and oppressed throughout the entirety of their history would seek to establish a state strictly for themselves. I say good for them.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:02 pm
@Freeman15,
discrimination is wrong! and so is the opposite!
Pinochet73

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:54 pm
@Edna cv,
Edna;46706 wrote:

Very interesting. I just finished War in the Woods: Estonia's Struggle for Survival, 1944-1956 by Mart Laar. The book makes the Estonians look like saints. I was skeptical, knowing that many Eastern European peoples helped the Nazis kill Jews. :headbang:
Mihkel999

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 02:43 am
@Pinochet73,
Hi, made this account just to answer some of the misinformation
Since the first republic of Estonia in 1918-1940 we have treated jews with little discrimination and anger. If i remeber correctly we were even given a gold star from a jewish organization for being tolerant.
But I dont deny that there were and still are people in estonia who hate jews, russians and foreigners generally. Also some estonians did terrible things to jews during the WW2 and sholud be treated as criminals and mass murderes.
In todays Estonia we dont discriminate against jews or ethnic russians. Just a few months ago our prime minister opend a synagogue. But with ethnic russians it is more difficult. All they need to do to get a citizenship is to pass a test. Like you do in USA to get citizenship. Those who don't have citizenship have all the rights of ordinary estonians except the right to be elected in parliamentary or local elections. They have a right to vote though.

About the events in april. The monument to "the liberator of tallinn" or if you see it from our point of view, the occupier, was transported from the city center to a military cemetery not demolished. The so called defenders were nothing more then angry youth who were brainwashed by the russian media.

Why we see the soviets as occupiers? Because the soviets annexed Estonia in 1940, a year before the germans attacked. During that year we got a taste of soviet life and of Stalins rule. Thousand deported, many of our cultural elite killed. When the germans attacked we saw a chance for independence. We never fought because we belived in the germans cause but because we hoped that they were somehow better than the soviets.
Most of the estonians that fought for the germans enlisted olny when the soviets were nearing our estern border. Yes they joined a SS-divison , but only because the german policy didn't allow them to fight in the army. The Nuremburg trials cleared all the baltic SS-divison of any war crimes.
I hope this makes some sense:cool:
Apuu

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:09 am
@Mihkel999,
About this jewish talk I'd like to add (quotes from Jewish Virtual Library - Homepage):

On 12 February 1925, the dream was fulfilled. The Estonian government passed a law pertaining to the cultural autonomy of minority peoples. [...] In June 1926 the Jewish Cultural Council was elected and Jewish cultural autonomy was declared.[...] The cultural autonomy of minority peoples is an exceptional phenomenon in European cultural history. Jewish cultural autonomy was of great interest to global Jewish community. The Jewish National Endowment presented the Estonian government with a certificate of gratitude for this achievement.

[...]

From 1940 until 1988 the Estonian Jewish community, as elsewhere in the Soviet Union, had no organizations, associations nor even clubs.

In March 1988, the Jewish Cultural Society was established in Tallinn. It was the first of its kind in the entire Soviet Empire

But what Edna wrote us is utterly B/S. Quote: "In other words there is democracy just for native Estonians in Estonia."

Just google Estonia and freedom etc... Estonia is in the top10 or 20 of most of the "freedoms" (in the world). The only country who has problems with Estonian democracy is ... "big great free country" Russia. Connecting some dots?

Read for examplethe article written by Edward Lucas from "The Economist"

:lightbulb:
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 07:37 pm
@Mihkel999,
Mihkel999;46785 wrote:
Hi, made this account just to answer some of the misinformation
Since the first republic of Estonia in 1918-1940 we have treated jews with little discrimination and anger. If i remeber correctly we were even given a gold star from a jewish organization for being tolerant.
But I dont deny that there were and still are people in estonia who hate jews, russians and foreigners generally. Also some estonians did terrible things to jews during the WW2 and sholud be treated as criminals and mass murderes.
In todays Estonia we dont discriminate against jews or ethnic russians. Just a few months ago our prime minister opend a synagogue. But with ethnic russians it is more difficult. All they need to do to get a citizenship is to pass a test. Like you do in USA to get citizenship. Those who don't have citizenship have all the rights of ordinary estonians except the right to be elected in parliamentary or local elections. They have a right to vote though.

About the events in april. The monument to "the liberator of tallinn" or if you see it from our point of view, the occupier, was transported from the city center to a military cemetery not demolished. The so called defenders were nothing more then angry youth who were brainwashed by the russian media.

Why we see the soviets as occupiers? Because the soviets annexed Estonia in 1940, a year before the germans attacked. During that year we got a taste of soviet life and of Stalins rule. Thousand deported, many of our cultural elite killed. When the germans attacked we saw a chance for independence. We never fought because we belived in the germans cause but because we hoped that they were somehow better than the soviets.
Most of the estonians that fought for the germans enlisted olny when the soviets were nearing our estern border. Yes they joined a SS-divison , but only because the german policy didn't allow them to fight in the army. The Nuremburg trials cleared all the baltic SS-divison of any war crimes.
I hope this makes some sense:cool:

I like you because you hate Communism. Keep kicking butt. Screw the Soviets -- hard and deep.:thumbup:Very Happy:thumbup:
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 07:38 pm
@Apuu,
Apuu;46786 wrote:
About this jewish talk I'd like to add (quotes from Jewish Virtual Library - Homepage):

On 12 February 1925, the dream was fulfilled. The Estonian government passed a law pertaining to the cultural autonomy of minority peoples. [...] In June 1926 the Jewish Cultural Council was elected and Jewish cultural autonomy was declared.[...] The cultural autonomy of minority peoples is an exceptional phenomenon in European cultural history. Jewish cultural autonomy was of great interest to global Jewish community. The Jewish National Endowment presented the Estonian government with a certificate of gratitude for this achievement.

[...]

From 1940 until 1988 the Estonian Jewish community, as elsewhere in the Soviet Union, had no organizations, associations nor even clubs.

In March 1988, the Jewish Cultural Society was established in Tallinn. It was the first of its kind in the entire Soviet Empire

But what Edna wrote us is utterly B/S. Quote: "In other words there is democracy just for native Estonians in Estonia."

Just google Estonia and freedom etc... Estonia is in the top10 or 20 of most of the "freedoms" (in the world). The only country who has problems with Estonian democracy is ... "big great free country" Russia. Connecting some dots?

Read for examplethe article written by Edward Lucas from "The Economist"

:lightbulb:

Russia is a cesspool.:thumbdown:
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:20 pm
@Edna cv,
Look everybody, internet trolls.
Apuu

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:20 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;46921 wrote:
Look everybody, internet trolls.

Who is Troll? Many here were talking about a topc they didn't even bother to google about. So I saw the topic and answered... It's as easy as that :dunno:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 05:49 am
@Apuu,
Apuu;46930 wrote:
Who is Troll? Many here were talking about a topc they didn't even bother to google about. So I saw the topic and answered... It's as easy as that :dunno:

Nevermind him. You're doing a great thing by speaking up for the Baltic peoples. They fought long, hard guerrilla campaigns against Communism. They're heroes.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:19 pm
aaronssongs;47460 wrote:
Wow. For one who wears his diploma on his sleeve, at all times, you seem to be either incredibly naive, or totally ignorant of European history.
Try reading "Russka", by Edward Rutherfurd, which gives a comprehensive view of Russia from it's beginnings to its' fall.
Russia, itself, was an oppressed homeland...so the Baltic States, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania, were not any more "oppressed" than the whole of Russia, of which they were an integral part for the bulk of their individual histories. And as you "incorrectly stated", they were not ancillary states to the Polish, Lithuanian and Russian Empires....While in Latvia and most of Estonia Livonian Confederation was established, Lithuania established its own state as the Grand Duchy of Lithuania some time before 1252. It later was a major political power of the region. It was, in fact, it's own empire. After Livonian War in 16th century Confederation ceased to exist and its lands were incorporated into the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. In 1621 most of Duchy of Livonia was incorporated into Swedish empire. During the Great Northern War the Dominions of Sweden of Swedish Estonia and Swedish Livonia were conquered by Russia and then ceded by Sweden in the Treaty of Nystad in 1721. Russian Empire gained control of most of present day Baltic states in the 18th century when the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth was partitioned in three stages by Russian Empire (under Catherine the Great), Kingdom of Prussia, and the Habsburg Monarchy, while western parts of Lithuania were incoroporated into Prussia.

Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania became sovereign nations in the aftermath of World War I.
Given your prior racists remarks, I can easily understand you writing, "... It makes sense that a people who have been put down and oppressed throughout the entirety of their history would seek to establish a state strictly for themselves. I say good for them." Ethnic cleansing, so to speak...right up your alley. History may not have been your forte, but it was, and is mine.
Besides, when I was living in Chicago, I was very good friends with a Polish-American, who worked for the Secret Service, during WWII...who gave me the inner scoops on Eastern European history and culture. Say what? Talk about what you know about.

Aaron, you just justified my assertion. Latvia and Estonia have, historically, been ancillary states to the Polish, Russian, and LITHUANIAN Empires, I never said Lithuania was historically weak, but as per usual, you've decided to attack my intellect and claim that I support racism, baby-killing, punching the elderly, and NASCAR, you know, all the worst parts of the Bible.

The degree of autonomy a people seek is directly related to their historical sovereignty, look at Ukraine as an example. The Orange Revolution and the support for Yushenko was a total rejection of Russian influence, and ethnic Ukrainian is the primary language spoken in parliamentary proceedings, as well as domestic business. All of the former USSR with the exceptions of Kazakhstan (though they have revived their language) and Belarus have instituted extremely nationalistic regimes within their governments and societies, and the Baltics, who never really felt at home with the Soviets anyway, are an exceptionally strong case.

I suggest you read Alexnader Chubarov's Russia's Bitter Path to Modernity: A History of Soviet and Post-Soviet Eras, as he discusses in detail the secession of the Baltic states, their moves towards the West, and tensions between ethnic Estonians, Latvians, and Lithuanians and non-Baltic peoples.

I just wrote a paper intended for publication (one of my old professors is putting a journal together, I asked if I could chip in) examining Russian opposition to US hegemony in which resurgent nationalism is explored as one of the root motivations for Russian obstinacy concerning US global policy initiatives. Nationalism is a MAJOR FACTOR among oppressed people or people who feel disenchanted with multi-cultural society, and whether you like it or not, history has demonstrated that monoethnic societies tend to be more stable than multi-ethnic ones. Compare Ukraine to Rwanda, and you'll note that despite INCREDIBLE differentiation between Ukraine's Western and Eastern provinces concerning alignment (with the West favoring the EU, and the East favoring the CIS), due to a common nationality, the Orange Revolution was able to commence without major bloodshed.

Rwanda by contrast was mutli-ethnic, and despite democratic reforms, national feuds ultimately overshadowed substantive progress, and the world saw what happened. In nascent states, nationalism is IMPORTANT because it removes one less agitant from the myriad already on the table.

Do states comprised of a singular ethnicity always succeed? Absolutely not, Tajikistan is embroiled in a civil war presently and Turkmenistan is on the verge of economic collapse. I am merely saying that newly formed states, which the Baltic states are (not nations, STATES) tend to succeed more often than not when a singular ethnicity binds state actors. Once stability and governance are in place within a country, other ethnicities are generally included in government, though not always painlessly (see US, France, Britain, Spain, Italy.....you get the idea).

There, I was calm, respectful, and addressed your points. Please afford me the same courtesy and refrain from attacking me personally.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:04 pm
@Edna cv,
Keep fighting Communism. Down with Clinton, America's leading Commie.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2007 09:13 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47846 wrote:
Keep fighting Communism. Down with Clinton, America's leading Commie.

No, Sam Webb is.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 07:55 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48903 wrote:
No, Sam Webb is.

Webb? The author / rookie politican? He sucks....hard. :thumbdown:
0 Replies

DurtySanches

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46741 wrote:
discrimination is wrong! and so is the opposite!
Let me guess, you like riding the fence?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2007 09:55 pm
@DurtySanches,
DurtySanches;48962 wrote:
Let me guess, you like riding the fence?

what fence?
0 Replies