Military Spending

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 19 May, 2010 09:55 pm
@Anton Artaud,
Anton Artaud;71855 wrote:

That is the 60K question. You can't. Either they are interested or they are not.

I guess we should just throw up our hands and give up.

Quote:
With all of the illegal immigration, often the children are more educated than the parents at just the 5th grade. This was not the case 50 years ago.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

Are you saying it's impossible to improve education?
Quote:

It is possible to improve the education system--oh yes. Return to all of the standards we had in 1960. That also means that if a student earned an "F", fail the student. Have them repeat a grade. That was done until the Liberals got a hold of the system.

What the **** are you talking about? It was Bush that started the no child left behind bullcrap. But your more interested in pointing fingers than finding a solution.

Again, between the 1950's and 1960's there was nothing wrong with education.

Quote:

You got a bingo--no test--no course--no program can get anyone to want to learn.

No, but an understanding that an education is necessary to get anywhere in life will get people to take their education seriously. Good teachers can get children interested in their education.

Quote:

OK--no changing the topic criteria. It is one thing to say money will not improve poor grades and another not to give them money at all--that's silly. Education had money in the 1960's and satisfied the basics.

Okay so tell me why funding some things help education and why others don't. Draw the line for me.

Quote:
Look if "Bob" does not want to learn to read, offering him a new improved library isn't going to matter.

I agree, but I'm not just talking about better facilities.

We need to understand WHY kids don't pay attention in school.

Quote:
Educators know this--I said it's the parents but then there are many cultures teaching that education is not important. Some live in ghettos and feel that good grades is "buying" into the evil system. Others find that drugs is a more practical and easiest way to make big money. Joining gangs offers security and will ensure a better life than doing it only own.

Parents are not the only factor that determines academic success.

Quote:
There are many reasons for poor grades and none can be changed by money

By relieving over-burdened, under-funded, overcrowded schools, we can improve test scores. That is a fact.

Quote:
Remember the topic. There is no cause and effect here. You said rather than spending money on the military, we should devote this money toward education. No one said, they were ever linked.

A dollar spent on the military is a dollar that ISN'T spent on education or healthcare. The point was that we are spending too much on military.
Anton Artaud

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:30 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;71885 wrote:
I guess we should just throw up our hands and give up.

That was suggested in the book called "The Bell Curve" in 1994. It said that many programs to educate certain segments of our country was a waste of money and other resources because of their reduced IQ. We were trying to educate people with information requiring an IQ in the normal range to students that fell far below normal.

Any beat cop will agree that while these people cannot raise themselves much beyond dish washer or in warehouse work, they find these jobs beneath them and refuse to apply reverting to crime. Or, they attend government programs for educational advancements far exceeding their mental capacity.

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

In decades past, parents could assist their children up to and including the 12th grade. When the parents are illiterate, they are unable to help their children with homework and test preparation. That was the point.

Are you saying it's impossible to improve education?

What the *** are you talking about? It was Bush that started the no child left behind bullcrap. But your more interested in pointing fingers than finding a solution.

Ah--you don't follow dialog well do you. I was talking about the 1960's, decades before Bush. Bush started "no child left behind" alright but that has nothing to do with the liberal teachers union of the 1960's demanding that a student cannot fail a grade without parental consent. What had to happen? We began having a rise of students repeating classes. If this continued, the system would implode.

Now, decades later, we were faced with uneducated students graduating with a high school diploma. How many high school graduates working at a "Jack in the Box" can make change or calculate local tax without the cash register? What a joke and Liberal started it in the late 1960's.

After extensive debate, the liberal teachers unions reluctantly approved of the "no child left behind" program. Bush did not like it but something had to be done.

Again, between the 1950's and 1960's there was nothing wrong with education.

No, but an understanding that an education is necessary to get anywhere in life will get people to take their education seriously. Good teachers can get children interested in their education.

I said if and when they truly believe that education is necessary to get anywhere in life, they will take education seriously. But I also said that is not happening much of the time. Many cultures look down in education and even intelligence.

Also good teachers can get students eager to learn to be interested but when students don't care--they could be the best teachers on the planet and it won't matter.

Okay so tell me why funding some things help education and why others don't. Draw the line for me.

The line I drew is to return to the 1960's. Match the common curriculum of the nation during the 1960's along with grading standards. While any education system costs money, you will be eliminating unnecessary programs and focusing on education that will help students obtain jobs.

Please Google: 20 Ridiculous College Courses--have fun. There is no excuse for this nonsense.

I agree, but I'm not just talking about better facilities.

Facilities cannot make a difference with those who don't want to learn.

We need to understand WHY kids don't pay attention in school.

Parents are not the only factor that determines academic success.

No, parents are not the only factor but they are responsible for the child's attitude toward education. That is the most influential factor regarding the foundation for developing an academic future. If children are taught that education is a waste of time, all the facilities in the world cannot make a difference.

By relieving over-burdened, under-funded, overcrowded schools, we can improve test scores. That is a fact.

Ah--have you read anything I have written? That is left-wing propaganda and nothing more. Your intelligent, think for yourself. Don't be a billboard for any organized ideology.

Again, we spend more money on education than any other country in the world and student performance has been in the statistical lower 1/3 for decades.

A dollar spent on the military is a dollar that ISN'T spent on education or healthcare. The point was that we are spending too much on military.

Health Care maybe but not education --it doesn't matter. But, if we channeled more money in that direction, is it worth reducing our ability to defend ourselves and our allies???

Furthermore, if we transfered this money to health care, someone will say,
"A dollar spent on health care is a dollar that ISN'T spent on ............."
0 Replies