Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:54 am
This is an interesting article on Jon Huntsman, the republican governor of Utah and a possible contender for president in 2012. He believes that the way to bring back the Republican party is to move it to the center. I agree and think that a Republican party led by ppl like him would be competitive. Republicans are on the wrong side of issues like stem cells and civil unions. Yet, many Republicans believe that their problems stem from not being conservative enough. What do you think? Do you think the Republican party is better served by becoming more conservative or less? And what do you think of Jon Huntsman?

Huntsman takes aim at GOP - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 761 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:37 pm
@NotHereForLong,
NotHereForLong;64422 wrote:
This is an interesting article on Jon Huntsman, the republican governor of Utah and a possible contender for president in 2012. He believes that the way to bring back the Republican party is to move it to the center. I agree and think that a Republican party led by ppl like him would be competitive. Republicans are on the wrong side of issues like stem cells and civil unions. Yet, many Republicans believe that their problems stem from not being conservative enough. What do you think? Do you think the Republican party is better served by becoming more conservative or less? And what do you think of Jon Huntsman?

Huntsman takes aim at GOP - Jonathan Martin - POLITICO.com

I think there may be a lot of truth to that. It is this polarization of politics, i think, that is the root of many problems. But as long as the US vs THEM mantra exists progress will be greatly hindered.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:56 pm
@NotHereForLong,
Once conservatives learn to shelve their religion when it comes to political and social issues, they might get somewhere.
0 Replies

NotHereForLong

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 11:56 pm
@NotHereForLong,
Democrats hold a ten point gap in party affiliation-
38% of Americans are democrats
28% are republicans
29% are independants

Democrats widen gap in party affiliation, polls find - International Herald Tribune

On civil unions, i've seen polls showing 6 in 10 Americans are in favor. And that number may rise over time because younger people are more likely to support civil unions than older ppl. On stem cells, 7 in 10 Americans are in favor of allowing them to be used for research.
0 Replies