Mitt Romney's Muslim blunder

jeffh83

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 09:34 am
If elected, Mitt Romney sees no room for Muslims in his cabinet. Now substitute Muslims for another religion, say Jews and what do you get?
If elected, Mitt Romney sees no room for Muslims in his cabinet. Now substitute Muslims for another religion, say Jews and what do you get?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,708 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 04:37 pm
@jeffh83,
how can anyone vote for someone who openly discriminates?
Freeman15

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 11:39 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
What he said, and what he meant (and coincidentally, what all RATIONAL opponents of the former Governor have accepted) is that he didn't feel he needed a Muslim in his cabinet based solely on the idea of discriptive representation. He claims (and we have no evidence to the contrary), that he would nominate cabinet members based on merit, and I don't know that principle to be a "bad" thing.

Muslims are one percent of the US population. Having a Muslim member of a cabinet for the sake of having a Muslim would be OVER representation.
jeffh83

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:14 am
@jeffh83,
Results: More than half of over 580 voters call Romney a racist:
Pics, videos and audio about politics
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 02:59 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;46928 wrote:
What he said, and what he meant (and coincidentally, what all RATIONAL opponents of the former Governor have accepted) is that he didn't feel he needed a Muslim in his cabinet based solely on the idea of discriptive representation. He claims (and we have no evidence to the contrary), that he would nominate cabinet members based on merit, and I don't know that principle to be a "bad" thing.

Muslims are one percent of the US population. Having a Muslim member of a cabinet for the sake of having a Muslim would be OVER representation.

but if there was a highly qualified muslim would he put him/her in the cabinent?
Freeman15

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 04:23 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46972 wrote:
but if there was a highly qualified muslim would he put him/her in the cabinent?

Based on his statements, probably. Nobody asked him that follow-up question because they WANTED to label him a racist. It's bad journalism, plain and simple.

I agree with Romney on........it's not important how stupid his ideas are, the point is that the man was treated unfairly after making a perfectly reasonable statement. I really hate people who throw the word "racist" around, especially when the question referred to a nominee's religion.... (hint, there are white muslims too).
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:46 pm
@jeffh83,
jeffh83;46935 wrote:
Results: More than half of over 580 voters call Romney a racist:
Pics, videos and audio about politics

they dont make a bit of sense anyway, race and religion have NOTHING to do with one another.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:04 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46887 wrote:

That depends on whom you're discriminating against. It's okay to discriminate against anyone who intends to chop off your head, while screaming, "GOD IS GREAT. GOD IS GREAT." In this case, DISCRIMINATION IS GREAT. Very Happy
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:05 pm
@jeffh83,
I understand Romney's propensity to discriminate. I discriminate against Mormons.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 04:53 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;47369 wrote:
That depends on whom you're discriminating against. It's okay to discriminate against anyone who intends to chop off your head, while screaming, "GOD IS GREAT. GOD IS GREAT." In this case, DISCRIMINATION IS GREAT. Very Happy

that isn't discrimination my friend, hating someone who wishes you harm is justified, but to say an entire race or religion wishes you harm is discriminatory speculation!
socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:33 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;46887 wrote:

Check your political landscape my friend. Political discrimination and double standards are rampant. Every racial and ethnic group be they white, black, brown, yellow or red will always seek one of their own before looking elsewhere. The only exceptions are when they are pandering for votes. Hillary is a master at it.
DurtySanches

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:35 pm
@jeffh83,
Where did he say "an entire race"? He said "It's okay to discriminate against anyone who intends to chop off your head". You like reading into stuff?
DurtySanches

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:40 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;47829 wrote:
Check your political landscape my friend. Political discrimination and double standards are rampant. Every racial and ethnic group be they white, black, brown, yellow or red will always seek one of their own before looking elsewhere. The only exceptions are when they are pandering for votes. Hillary is a master at it.
I doubt there is a day that goes by that anyone doesn't discriminate in one way or another. It is in our nature.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:16 pm
@DurtySanches,
DurtySanches;47830 wrote:
Where did he say "an entire race"? He said "It's okay to discriminate against anyone who intends to chop off your head". You like reading into stuff?

He's said it before and although he didn't explictly state this time i know what he is talking about!
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 02:47 am
@jeffh83,
He doesn't see the need to have a member of a RELIGION so he's a RACIST? These people surely smoke crack far too often.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 10:42 am
@klyph,
klyph;47897 wrote:
He doesn't see the need to have a member of a RELIGION so he's a RACIST? These people surely smoke crack far too often.

A lot of people say racist when talking about religion simply becuase the word "religionist" sounds silly, and becaue "bigot" isn't in their vocabulary.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 12:01 pm
@DurtySanches,
DurtySanches;47831 wrote:
I doubt there is a day that goes by that anyone doesn't discriminate in one way or another. It is in our nature.

It's a matter of self preservation going back to the earliest days of civilization. It's in our DNA. We could change it but no one wants it bad enough to step up. Take the matter of the UCLA football coach being fired. The major point on local talk radio is that he was fired because he was black and failed. I say he was fired because he failed, period. It seems those that preach intolerance and the least tolerant of all.

As I stated here many times before, over the years I employed individuals of every ethnicity, even had a dwarf on my payroll for a time. All those relationships were based on a fair day's pay for a fair day's work. Still, some on this forum would think of me as nothing more than an overseer, using and abusing those that served me as I served them. To them, I say go to work and get a life. Make your parents proud.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 06:20 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;47809 wrote:
that isn't discrimination my friend, hating someone who wishes you harm is justified, but to say an entire race or religion wishes you harm is discriminatory speculation!

You go first. Go ahead. You board the commercial aircraft full of crazy Imams. Go ahead. I'll stay back, holding down the fort.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 8 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;48026 wrote:
You go first. Go ahead. You board the commercial aircraft full of crazy Imams. Go ahead. I'll stay back, holding down the fort.

You're pathetic if you're afraid to board a plane just because some muslims are on it!
socalgolfguy

Reply Sun 9 Dec, 2007 12:57 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;48034 wrote:
You're pathetic if you're afraid to board a plane just because some muslims are on it!

Fatal, he did not say muslims, he said crazy imams.