Stevens loses Alaska Senate seat to Democrat

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 09:24 pm
GOP's Stevens loses Alaska Senate seat - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - Sen. Ted Stevens, the longest serving Republican in Senate history, narrowly lost his re-election bid Tuesday, marking the downfall of a pillar of the U.S. Senate and Alaska icon who apparently couldn't survive his conviction on federal corruption charges. His defeat to Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich moves Senate Democrats closer to a filibuster-proof 60-vote majority.

This puts a rather large hole in Palin's thoughts on sliding over to the Senate.

58 seats, two more up in the air. This could get very interesting.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 798 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Musky Hunter

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 02:45 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;62530 wrote:
GOP's Stevens loses Alaska Senate seat - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

WASHINGTON - Sen. Ted Stevens, the longest serving Republican in Senate history, narrowly lost his re-election bid Tuesday, marking the downfall of a pillar of the U.S. Senate and Alaska icon who apparently couldn't survive his conviction on federal corruption charges. His defeat to Anchorage Mayor Mark Begich moves Senate Democrats closer to a filibuster-proof 60-vote majority.

This puts a rather large hole in Palin's thoughts on sliding over to the Senate.

58 seats, two more up in the air. This could get very interesting.

I would think that there would be several moderate Democrats and Independents who, while wanting a majority of the Senate to be Democrat, would not really want there to be a "supermajority" if they sat back and thought about it.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 20 Nov, 2008 08:51 pm
@Musky Hunter,
Musky Hunter;62533 wrote:
I would think that there would be several moderate Democrats and Independents who, while wanting a majority of the Senate to be Democrat, would not really want there to be a "supermajority" if they sat back and thought about it.

You'd think the same thing about the Republicans...

A supermajority will not happen. The dems will pull 59 seats, not one more.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 05:54 am
@Sabz5150,
Is he going to jail for his crimes ?
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 06:02 am
@scooby-doo cv,
He has been convicted... that's usually the next step. However we know that they usually don't do the time, that's for the peasants. The powerful only enforce the law on others.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:50 am
@Sabz5150,
Speaking as an independent, I believe that any political or judicial figure that breaks the law should be jailed for the maximum term of their sentence. To violate the public trust for personal gain is inexcusable. I met Randy "Duke" Cunningham several times and found him to be a likeable and savvy politician but when he was found guilty of accepting kickbacks he was out of my book. Accept no excuses. Frankly, they all should be kicked to the curb. If I had my way, all the incumbents would be tossed.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:22 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;62563 wrote:
Speaking as an independent, I believe that any political or judicial figure that breaks the law should be jailed for the maximum term of their sentence. To violate the public trust for personal gain is inexcusable. I met Randy "Duke" Cunningham several times and found him to be a likeable and savvy politician but when he was found guilty of accepting kickbacks he was out of my book. Accept no excuses. Frankly, they all should be kicked to the curb. If I had my way, all the incumbents would be tossed.

Well done socal :thumbup: although you are not an independant !
socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:24 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;62571 wrote:
Well done socal :thumbup: although you are not an independant !

Thank you, my good friend. But, I am probably the most independent person on this site. As I have said many times KICK THEM ALL TO THE CURB. We yanks had the opportunity to throw out all the incumbents and backed down like a bunch of little girls.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:38 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;62574 wrote:
Thank you, my good friend. But, I am probably the most independent person on this site. As I have said many times KICK THEM ALL TO THE CURB. We yanks had the opportunity to throw out all the incumbents and backed down like a bunch of little girls.

"I am probably the most independent person on this site" :rollinglaugh:

Your taking that a bit to far Very Happy
socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 06:39 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;62580 wrote:
"I am probably the most independent person on this site" :rollinglaugh:

Your taking that a bit to far Very Happy

Not far enough. I think all the men on this site have let their seeds dry up.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:07 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;62582 wrote:
Not far enough. I think all the men on this site have let their seeds dry up.

Socal you voted for George Bush :eek: there is no excuse for that Very Happy
socalgolfguy

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 07:36 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;62588 wrote:
Socal you voted for George Bush :eek: there is no excuse for that Very Happy

I HAD to...Gore is a liar making $millions from his phony green scam and Kerry, well, he's just too much of a weenie.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2008 08:02 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;62574 wrote:

You have yet to show this outside of wanting criminals jailed. Otherwise you're rather right slanted.

Case in point: Duran Duran.
0 Replies