Bristol Palin: Abstinence for all teens 'not realistic'

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 02:58 am
Bristol Palin: Abstinence for all teens 'not realistic' - CNN.com

In her first interview since giving birth, the teenage daughter of Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin said having a child is not "glamorous," and that telling young people to be abstinent is "not realistic at all."

Could have told you that, Bristol. On both accounts.

In retrospect, Bristol could be an excellent voice for planned parenthood.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 837 • Replies: 14
No top replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 04:12 am
@Sabz5150,
But wouldn't the world be a better place if all teens practiced it? If they would wait until they made sure they could provide a decent home life for any unwanted pregnancies?

Planned Parenthood - another name for "Just have an abortion"!
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 04:35 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64047 wrote:
But wouldn't the world be a better place if all teens practiced it? If they would wait until they made sure they could provide a decent home life for any unwanted pregnancies?

Planned Parenthood - another name for "Just have an abortion"!

And the world would be better if there was no killing.

Snap back to reality.

Abstinence - another name for "This is what GOD says!"
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:43 am
@Sabz5150,
Abstinence - another name for "Personal Responsibility"
xexon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:12 am
@westernmom,
It wasn't that long ago that teens were married off to start their own families. It was normal. "Christian" normal.

We have allowed religious values to intrude into government policy making. This whole thing was started by conservative Christians and it should have ended with them. It didn't. Enter the "Neocons", whose power base consist largely of zionist Christians who vote.

Palin said the right thing. For once.

x
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:13 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64058 wrote:
Abstinence - another name for "Personal Responsibility"

Obviously not.

"Personal responsibility" is being responsible in your actions. Abstinence is merely a way to force religion and ideals upon others in the guise of being responsible.

http://www.halibut.com/~cstaley/images/spade.gif

See that? It's a spade.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:21 am
@Sabz5150,
If I chose abstinence I am taking personal responsiblity for my personal actions. It has nothing to do with "religion" or God. It has to do with not wanting a pregnancy that I may not be ready for or not wanting to contract a disease, or not wanting to have that type of relationship with another person, or not wanting to worry about using birth control and potential of risking cancer, or a whole host of other reasons why a person prefers not to have sex!

Where is God in all of that? Why are you always so worried about what other may or may not force on you? Think for yourself once in awhile!
xexon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:28 am
@Sabz5150,
It was started by conservative Christians, repackaged for non believers and made public policy costing taxpayer dollars to sustain.

It still quacks like a duck though.

x
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:31 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64063 wrote:
If I chose abstinence I am taking personal responsiblity for my personal actions. It has nothing to do with "religion" or God. It has to do with not wanting a pregnancy that I may not be ready for or not wanting to contract a disease, or not wanting to have that type of relationship with another person, or not wanting to worry about using birth control and potential of risking cancer, or a whole host of other reasons why a person prefers not to have sex!

Where is God in all of that? Why are you always so worried about what other may or may not force on you? Think for yourself once in awhile!

Because you WILL force it upon others.

If *YOU* want to abstain, fine. But you have ZERO RIGHT to force public schools or other people to push it on others.
westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:42 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;64066 wrote:
Because you WILL force it upon others.

If *YOU* want to abstain, fine. But you have ZERO RIGHT to force public schools or other people to push it on others.

I totally agree with for once! Just like I agree that if I want to have public prayer I should be able to do it. If I want to see the Ten Commandments in front of my courthouse I should be able to. If I want to display a Nativity Scene I should be able to do it.

If I want to vote for a law such as Prop 8 I should be able to do so and not be called un-American.

Practicing abstinance is a personal perogative.

I get so tired of you guys spouting off about Christians and what we have forced on you. Look back. It is the majority that rules and if you live in a nation that has a majority of Christians you will get laws that reflect that background. Muslim countries have laws that reflect their beliefs.

Quit your whining. You are gaining everyday on having Christian ethics shoved into the ground while you stomp on them.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:57 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64072 wrote:
I totally agree with for once! Just like I agree that if I want to have public prayer I should be able to do it. If I want to see the Ten Commandments in front of my courthouse I should be able to. If I want to display a Nativity Scene I should be able to do it.

Abstain all you want.

Pray all you want.

Display yourself a nativity scene on your property. Lots of people do it.

But the Ten Commandments in/on government property is a violation of the establishment clause. Sorry on that one. That's why the Koran or Veda is not on display.

Quote:
If I want to vote for a law such as Prop 8 I should be able to do so and not be called un-American.

And I should be able to vote to remove a religious display from government property without the same. I should also be able to voice a dissenting opinion without the same. However that wasn't always the case.

Quote:
Practicing abstinance is a personal perogative.

And nothing more. So your abstinence only sex "education" does not fly.

Quote:
I get so tired of you guys spouting off about Christians and what we have forced on you. Look back. It is the majority that rules and if you live in a nation that has a majority of Christians you will get laws that reflect that background. Muslim countries have laws that reflect their beliefs.

And Muslim countries let their religion and politics intertwine. Answers a lot of questions.

The funny thing is that the Constitution says that laws will not be based upon religious influence.

Quote:
Quit your whining. You are gaining everyday on having Christian ethics shoved into the ground while you stomp on them.

We keep religion out of places where it ought not be. Science classrooms, for example. We do not inhibit your prayer (even at school people prayed), nor do we tell you that you cannot worship.

We stand up to government display of religious symbols. We stand up to science being pushed aside for dogma. These things we DO reject and WILL continue to reject.
0 Replies

xexon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 07:07 am
@Sabz5150,
How are Christian ethics different from my own?

Were we to compare good deeds performed in the world, I'll hold my own with the Pope or Simon Peter any day of the week.

It's the person, not the belief system that's important.

Religious intrusion in law flips that around.

I had to grow up in the biblebelt, okay? I've seen what religion does when it seeps into the local power structures. If you're not of that religion, you're automatically a 2nd class citizen in your own land.

Kinda like the way the Jews treat the Palestinians.

x
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 09:55 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64047 wrote:
But wouldn't the world be a better place [SIZE="6"]if[/SIZE] all teens practiced it?

that's a big "if"....

Unfortunately they don't, so the question is irrelevant. If they are going to have sex I'd rather they were at least safe about it, something abstinence programs often deny.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:26 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;64089 wrote:
that's a big "if"....

Unfortunately they don't, so the question is irrelevant. If they are going to have sex I'd rather they were at least safe about it, something abstinence programs often deny.

Abstinence is good as a personal goal. As an educational medium, it fails miserably. Every bit of research verifies this.

Again, it's all about religion.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 01:09 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64072 wrote:

And if I don't want the ten commandments in front of a courthouse under what circumstances do you wants take precedence over mine?

Quote:
I get so tired of you guys spouting off about Christians and what we have forced on you. Look back. It is the majority that rules and if you live in a nation that has a majority of Christians you will get laws that reflect that background.

Except for this little thing called separation of church and state. We do not live in a society run by mob rule. The framers of the constitution were very clear that the will of the majority cannot be used to subjugate the minority.

Majoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Muslim countries have laws that reflect their beliefs.

Oh, I'm so glad you would like to emulate Muslim countries, but trust me when I say the rest of us don't. Muslim countries are theocracies, they can do that, the United States is not a theocracy, we have laws against using majority religion and imposing it on the people.

You lack even a fundamental understanding of constitutional concepts.
0 Replies