Supreme Court: Gun Ownership an Individual Right

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:03 am
Supreme Court: Gun Ownership an Individual Right : NPR

Surprised nobody else has tossed this up.

Say it with me everyone. Umm... duh.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,286 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Numpty

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 12:10 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;58103 wrote:

Shame really, a state tries to curb gun violence and reduce the amount of people killed and five idiots screw it up. Hope they go to all the funerals and personally apologies to the families of the people whom, had the ban still been in place would still be able kiss their loved one good by in the morning. Way to go :beat:
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2008 04:05 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;58116 wrote:
Shame really, a state tries to curb gun violence and reduce the amount of people killed and five idiots screw it up. Hope they go to all the funerals and personally apologies to the families of the people whom, had the ban still been in place would still be able kiss their loved one good by in the morning. Way to go :beat:

The true problem with guns in this country is that they are seen as something that wields ultimate power over another. Put a gun to someone's skull and see how receptive they are to your opinion on something. A gun makes you a BIG MAN, you're gangsta, or it's your "turrist huntin' permit".

The real amazing part is that the people who use the Constitution to back up their gun ownership, don't do it for the reasons the Constitution initially gives them that right in the first place! Otherwise none of the other infringements upon the Constitution would be happening. As long as it isn't the evil Muslims taking away their rights, they don't care.

I'm a liberal living on this side of the pond, and I have to agree with the SCOTUS on this. It is a right granted by the same Constitution I stand behind when I hear about wiretaps and retroactive immunity (NO BILL OF ATTAINER OR EX POST FACTO LAW SHALL BE PASSED*), so I have to defend the rest of it with the same vigor, regardless of my opinion on the subject. The Constitution isn't a pick and choose rulebook... if you want to live under one part, you have to live under all of it.

* Ex post facto law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 08:38 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;58116 wrote:
Yeah, remember how hitler tried to curb gun violence against jews and christians. First order of the day, disarm them. It reduced the number of his men being killed but it kinda multiplied the number of the ones being disarmed. Number goes anywhere from six to twelve million. How many funerals of criminals have you gone to when an individual with a firearm defended his person/family or home from a perpetrator? You wish them defenseless. Do you own a firearm? Someone enters your home with a gun, what do you do? Kneel and pray?
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2008 06:55 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;58103 wrote:

I love my guns, Baby. I love'm. Last week I fired a hundred rounds through a drawing of a human face I taped over my target. The people shooting next to me reacted as if I were another Oswald.Very Happy
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:02 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;58154 wrote:
I love my guns, Baby. I love'm. Last week I fired a hundred rounds through a drawing of a human face I taped over my target. The people shooting next to me reacted as if I were another Oswald.Very Happy

If we could only get people to be more interested in the rest of that document...
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:11 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;58125 wrote:
Yeah, remember how hitler tried to curb gun violence against jews and christians. First order of the day, disarm them. It reduced the number of his men being killed but it kinda multiplied the number of the ones being disarmed. Number goes anywhere from six to twelve million. How many funerals of criminals have you gone to when an individual with a firearm defended his person/family or home from a perpetrator? You wish them defenseless. Do you own a firearm? Someone enters your home with a gun, what do you do? Kneel and pray?

So are you saying the Bush administation or the American government in general are Like the Nazi's. I can see your point :thumbup:

Nope don't own a firearm. Completely illegal in this counrty, even the Olympic Pistol team has to train in another country.

Don't get me wrong if someone comes in your house as far as I am concerned it's open season on them. Though I do tend to lock my doors and windows Very Happy

Having said that Burglars tend to be after your cash and DVD player not sticking a gun in your ear and blowing you away.

You have grown up with guns and accept then in your life I haven't and don't want to or need to in mine. For me that is good and I feel safer for it.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 09:28 am
@Sabz5150,
Here's a good question:

Why can Joe Sixshooter walk around with his gun on his hip, even getting a concealed carry permit so he can hide his weapon from plain view... but I cannot carry a blade longer than a pissant? Why are swords, bows, etc. illegal? They are arms, and I have the right to bear them...

Or has this always been all about the gun?
0 Replies

Drakej

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 11:35 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;58120 wrote:

I'm a liberal living on this side of the pond, and I have to agree with the SCOTUS on this. It is a right granted by the same Constitution I stand behind when I hear about wiretaps and retroactive immunity (NO BILL OF ATTAINER OR EX POST FACTO LAW SHALL BE PASSED*), so I have to defend the rest of it with the same vigor, regardless of my opinion on the subject. The Constitution isn't a pick and choose rulebook... if you want to live under one part, you have to live under all of it.

* Ex post facto law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am glad that you look at it this way Sabz. I feel the same exact way, and more people need to think along these lines. I do not understand how someone can cherry pick which rights should be upheld and which should be discarded.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
@Drakej,
Drakej;58181 wrote:
I am glad that you look at it this way Sabz. I feel the same exact way, and more people need to think along these lines. I do not understand how someone can cherry pick which rights should be upheld and which should be discarded.

Because they either don't understand the importance of those concepts, or they refuse to swallow their pride.

Perhaps both.

Amendment two is in place to protect the other nine. Unfortunately people have forgotten this, degrading it into a "I WANT MAH GUNZ!" debacle. Otherwise they'd have used said guns to protect us from the violations of the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, eighth and tenth.

If these people fought as viciously for the rest of the Constitution as they did for their Number Two, there would be NO warrantless wiretapping (amendment four), there would be NO retroactive immunity (No Ex-Post Facto law shall be passed) and there would be NO torture or secret prisons (amendments five, six and eight).

Those simple facts make it perfectly clear that the whole thing isn't about protecting the Constitution or using your second amendment right in the manner that the Founders intended. I find that disappointing and outright insulting.

But... it's your right, and I will not infringe upon it.
DiversityDriven

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 06:32 am
@Numpty,
Numpty;58177 wrote:
So are you saying the Bush administation or the American government in general are Like the Nazi's. I can see your point :thumbup:

Nope don't own a firearm. Completely illegal in this counrty, even the Olympic Pistol team has to train in another country.

Don't get me wrong if someone comes in your house as far as I am concerned it's open season on them. Though I do tend to lock my doors and windows Very Happy

Having said that Burglars tend to be after your cash and DVD player not sticking a gun in your ear and blowing you away.

You have grown up with guns and accept then in your life I haven't and don't want to or need to in mine. For me that is good and I feel safer for it.
No, i'm saying, you are like a Nazi.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong if someone comes in your house as far as I am concerned it's open season on them.
So your opposed to killing with just guns? Every thing else is OK?
Drakej

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:45 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;58185 wrote:
Because they either don't understand the importance of those concepts, or they refuse to swallow their pride.

Perhaps both.

Amendment two is in place to protect the other nine. Unfortunately people have forgotten this, degrading it into a "I WANT MAH GUNZ!" debacle. Otherwise they'd have used said guns to protect us from the violations of the first, fourth, fifth, sixth, eighth and tenth.

If these people fought as viciously for the rest of the Constitution as they did for their Number Two, there would be NO warrantless wiretapping (amendment four), there would be NO retroactive immunity (No Ex-Post Facto law shall be passed) and there would be NO torture or secret prisons (amendments five, six and eight).

Those simple facts make it perfectly clear that the whole thing isn't about protecting the Constitution or using your second amendment right in the manner that the Founders intended. I find that disappointing and outright insulting.

But... it's your right, and I will not infringe upon it.

Believe me I am just as pissed off about being bent over by the feds as you are. I agree 100 percent that people need to defends the rest of the constitution with the same vigor as the 2nd. You are correct in the sense that the 2nd exists to make sure the government does not treed on the rest.
0 Replies

Numpty

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2008 10:50 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;58187 wrote:
No, i'm saying, you are like a Nazi.

That's a bit random, can you offer up any evidence to support this statement?

Bear in mind you're the Right wing Conservative and I happen to be a Liberal. Go figure!

Quote:
So your opposed to killing with just guns? Every thing else is OK?

Yup Very Happy

Well by open season I mean that i defend my property and my family, it would never be my intention to kill someone. I appreciate that potentially that may be the out come and that is something I would have to live with for the rest of my life.

It just appears that you think/ want the 'inevitable' out come to be the death of someone. As if that the only way to deal with the situation is by someone dying. Seems to me to be a none to christian way of thinking. 'Thou Shalt not Kill' spring to mind?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 07:47 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;58103 wrote:

I love my guns. Just bought a bunch of ammo online. Guns, baby. Guns. Yeah.....come and try to take'm from me, Hillary Bama. JUST COME AND TRY. "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FREN." :AR15firing::rocketwhore:
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2008 10:26 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;58233 wrote:
I love my guns. Just bought a bunch of ammo online. Guns, baby. Guns. Yeah.....come and try to take'm from me, Hillary Bama. JUST COME AND TRY. "SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FREN." :AR15firing::rocketwhore:

We know, we know... the precious.

I thought your religion didn't allow for "graven images" or idol worship.
0 Replies