Don't say I didn't call it

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 11:54 am
FBI Caused Delay in Terror Case Ahead of Senate Testimony | Threat Level from Wired.com

Counterterrorism officials in FBI headquarters slowed an investigation into a possible conspirator in the 2005 London bombings by forcing a field agent to return documents acquired from a U.S. university. Why? Because the agent received the documents through a lawful subpoena, while headquarters wanted him to demand the records under the USA Patriot Act, using a power the FBI did not have, but desperately wanted.

When a North Carolina State University lawyer correctly rejected the second records demand, the FBI obtained another subpoena. Two weeks later, the delay was cited by FBI director Robert Mueller in congressional testimony as proof that the USA Patriot Act needed to be expanded.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 702 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 03:20 pm
@Sabz5150,
thats the last thing we need.
Drakej

Reply Wed 16 Apr, 2008 07:23 pm
@Sabz5150,
I really enjoyed the part about the Cheif not being told that they had the documents in the first place and was also told that they should send out a "Letter" to get it.

On a side note, I read Threat Level and Danger Room every day. They have some pretty good **** on there.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:46 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;56226 wrote:
thats the last thing we need.

To hunt down true Islamic terrorists, it's a good idea. BUT......I'm worried about what Clinton/Obama will do with the Patriot Act once they seize power. I can see Obama letting the bad guys off the hook, while sicking the Feds on American patriots, under the same law. :no:
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 04:57 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56235 wrote:
To hunt down true Islamic terrorists, it's a good idea.

Obviously it's purpose was never to counter terrorism. They had the papers already, they had PERFECTLY LEGAL means in which to acquire them.

This is what we liberals are trying to tell you... there are 100% legal and constitutional methods to gather information and monitor terrorists that are fast, effective and give the guys in black the wiggle room they love. The FBI intentionally delayed a TERROR INVESTIGATION and used it to demand expanded power.

Look, you and I gotta agree here... when the top law enforcement offices are throwing sabots in their own machines just to get more authority... something is wrong. :thumbdown:

Quote:
BUT......I'm worried about what Clinton/Obama will do with the Patriot Act once they seize power. I can see Obama letting the bad guys off the hook, while sicking the Feds on American patriots, under the same law. :no:

They'll trash it. Ol Ron Paul wanted to set the PATRIOT Act on fire in front of the White House lawn. (Okay, I kid... but I'm sure we could convince him to do it).
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 03:53 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56235 wrote:
To hunt down true Islamic terrorists, it's a good idea. BUT......I'm worried about what Clinton/Obama will do with the Patriot Act once they seize power. I can see Obama letting the bad guys off the hook, while sicking the Feds on American patriots, under the same law. :no:

Name a single Islamic terrorist that has been caught as a result of the patriot act!
Drakej

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 09:25 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;56253 wrote:
Name a single Islamic terrorist that has been caught as a result of the patriot act!

Exactly. It is bullshit when the government says "Its a matter of National Security" and they do not allow any one to question any thing. Who the hell is watching the watcher? Nothing good has come from using the Patriot Act, if we would have caught someone with concrete evidence derived from the Patriot Act they would plaster that all over the media to show what a HUGE success it is and how we can all sleep better at night.
Numpty

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:42 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;56299 wrote:
Exactly. It is bull**** when the government says "Its a matter of National Security" and they do not allow any one to question any thing. Who the hell is watching the watcher? Nothing good has come from using the Patriot Act, if we would have caught someone with concrete evidence derived from the Patriot Act they would plaster that all over the media to show what a HUGE success it is and how we can all sleep better at night.

Got it in one,..in this country the Gov are trying to detain people for up to 48 days without trial so that they can gather more 'evidence',....that sound like 'we torture you until you give us what we want to hear' or what?

We lived in this country for 25 years with the threat of the IRA, many bombings on mainland UK, yet in all that time very little changed in the way we dealt with and impirisoned suspects, the security forces got their fair share of people, but since the bombing in London and the half arsed atttempt in Scotland nothing,...zip,...nadda.

And they will tell you the the 'measures' in place and the ones they want to put in place are there to protect us,....BULLFUCKINGSHIT, they are there to moinitor us.

Always hear this one,...'If you have nothing to hide why do you not want to be watched on CCTV?' (Closed Circuit Televison if no-one knew)

My Answer,....'If I have nothing to hide WHY do you need to watch me on CCTV?'
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:05 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;56253 wrote:

You. Don't forget, we're right outside, watching you, L.C.M.

WARNING: THIS AREA IS UNDER FBI SURVEILLANCE.:bigok:
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:07 pm
@Numpty,
Numpty;56440 wrote:
Got it in one,..in this country the Gov are trying to detain people for up to 48 days without trial so that they can gather more 'evidence',....that sound like 'we torture you until you give us what we want to hear' or what?

We lived in this country for 25 years with the threat of the IRA, many bombings on mainland UK, yet in all that time very little changed in the way we dealt with and impirisoned suspects, the security forces got their fair share of people, but since the bombing in London and the half arsed atttempt in Scotland nothing,...zip,...nadda.

And they will tell you the the 'measures' in place and the ones they want to put in place are there to protect us,....BULL***ING****, they are there to moinitor us.

Always hear this one,...'If you have nothing to hide why do you not want to be watched on CCTV?' (Closed Circuit Televison if no-one knew)

My Answer,....'If I have nothing to hide WHY do you need to watch me on CCTV?'

YOU have nothing to hide? I doubt that. Scotland Yard probably has everything you own bugged, and rightly so.:thumbsdown:
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:09 pm
@Drakej,
Drakej;56299 wrote:
Exactly. It is bull**** when the government says "Its a matter of National Security" and they do not allow any one to question any thing. Who the hell is watching the watcher? Nothing good has come from using the Patriot Act, if we would have caught someone with concrete evidence derived from the Patriot Act they would plaster that all over the media to show what a HUGE success it is and how we can all sleep better at night.

The Republicans have no axe to grind with you, Big D. Watch out for the Democrats, however; you fit their profile for The Grand Perpetrator of All Human Suffering. :27:
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 08:37 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;56222 wrote:
FBI Caused Delay in Terror Case Ahead of Senate Testimony | Threat Level from Wired.com

Counterterrorism officials in FBI headquarters slowed an investigation into a possible conspirator in the 2005 London bombings by forcing a field agent to return documents acquired from a U.S. university. Why? Because the agent received the documents through a lawful subpoena, while headquarters wanted him to demand the records under the USA Patriot Act, using a power the FBI did not have, but desperately wanted.

When a North Carolina State University lawyer correctly rejected the second records demand, the FBI obtained another subpoena. Two weeks later, the delay was cited by FBI director Robert Mueller in congressional testimony as proof that the USA Patriot Act needed to be expanded.
Sounds like a whole lot of speculation, how much of this can they prove? I'm sure another conspiracy is in the making.
Sabz5150

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:20 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;56475 wrote:
Sounds like a whole lot of speculation, how much of this can they prove? I'm sure another conspiracy is in the making.

All the documents are declassified. Read 'em for yourself, the proof is in the pudding.

Oh yeah, that's right, you don't like these "fact" things.
Numpty

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:24 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56448 wrote:
YOU have nothing to hide? I doubt that. Scotland Yard probably has everything you own bugged, and rightly so.:thumbsdown:

Yeah been shipping in the 'ole Columbian Marching Powder' for years now, using the revenue to fund the terror camp in my back yard with the intention of killing all the infidels. :beat:
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:32 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;56489 wrote:
All the documents are declassified. Read 'em for yourself, the proof is in the pudding.

Oh yeah, that's right, you don't like these "fact" things.

I haven't seen any facts, you? I've seen alot of what you construe to be fact.
Drakej

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;56494 wrote:

Visit Wired.com and visit the Threat Level blog. They hold enough integrity that military officials will actually speak to them. They have piles of evidence, if you take the time to actually look.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 02:16 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;56494 wrote:

Your idea of what a "Fact" is has already been shown to everyone here.

Your idea is wrong.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:50 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56447 wrote:
You. Don't forget, we're right outside, watching you, L.C.M.

WARNING: THIS AREA IS UNDER FBI SURVEILLANCE.:bigok:

I take it you can't name one, or you would've already.
0 Replies