BAGHDAD U.S. and Iraqi, Not for Freeman15

mlurp

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:19 pm
US, Iraqi forces detain militia fighters By STEVEN R. HURST, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 56 minutes ago

BAGHDAD - U.S. and Iraqi forces, backed by Polish army helicopters, swept through Shiite militia strongholds south of Baghdad on Saturday, rounding up dozens of militants and killing two. The prime minister met the provincial governor, who called for reinforcements to root out "the criminals."

Iraqi police said 30 suspected fighters linked to Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr's Mahdi Army were grabbed in a pre-dawn house-to-house search by U.S. and Iraqi raiders in two eastern neighborhoods in Diwaniyah, 80 miles south of Baghdad.

Rival Shiite militias are engaged in grabs for power in the oil-rich south of the country, as British forces are drawing down. But U.S. commanders have reported significant inroads against both Shiite militias and al-Qaida in Iraq fighters across the fertile agriculture belt nearer to the capital. They credit local residents, emboldened against the terror tactics of both al-Qaida and Shiite militants, with much of the success.

The residents have bought into a trend that started in Iraq's western Anbar province, where Sunni tribesmen rose up against al-Qaida and have methodically hunted them down in conjunction with U.S. forces.

South of the capital, Shiite militiamen are facing the same onslaught in communities where they have terrorized co-religionists.

On Diwaniyah's east side, U.S.-led ground forces backed by two Polish army helicopters came under fire from machine guns and an anti-tank grenade launcher, the military said.

Coalition forces reported no casualties but said two militants were killed in the sweep. The statement reporting the operation said the Polish helicopters were called in after ground forces were attacked with three roadside bombs and small-arms fire.

The governor of the Qadisiyah province, which includes Diwaniyah, met with Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki in Baghdad on Saturday to ask for help boosting security in the region.

Gov. Hamid al-Khudhari dismissed concerns of rising tensions between al-Sadr's group and the governor's party, the Supreme Islamic Iraqi Council, whose militia is known as the Badr Brigade. Al-Khudari replaced Gov. Mohammad al-Hassani, who was assassinated by a powerful roadside bomb in August. Mahdi Army militants were suspected in the attack.

"There have been outlawed armed groups trying to take control of the province for a long time," he said at a news conference after the meeting. "They are only criminals and we do not believe that there is political party that backs them."

Al-Sadr and SIIC leader Abdul-Aziz al-Hakim signed a truce earlier this month. Al-Khudari appeared at pains to give the impression that the cease-fire was holding, and that Shiite fighters involved in the turmoil had broken with al-Sadr.

"We do have problems in the local security forces that make it difficult to ensure security and we asked the prime minister to fill the gaps in this regard," he said without elaborating.

Police also clashed with gunmen in the Shiite holy city of Karbala, 50 miles south of Baghdad, during a raid in which they detained a Sadrist leader, local authorities said without identifying the suspect. Late Saturday, a mortar crashed near the Shiite shrine to Imam Al-Abbas in the city center, killing one person and wounding two, according to police and an Associated Press employee who was at the scene.

To the north of Diwaniyah, police broke into the house of a leading al-Qaida member in a village near Hillah. They captured Raed al-Alwani, who was wanted in the slayings of more than 100 Iraqis, according to a police officer in the region who spoke on condition of anonymity because he not authorized to release the information.

In all, at least 26 people were reported killed or found dead in attacks nationwide.

The U.S. military also announced that a U.S. soldier was killed and eight others wounded in a roadside bombing in eastern Baghdad on Thursday.

Near Baghdad, a roadside bomb hit a minibus full of Shiite civilians traveling to visit relatives south of the capital. Three passengers died and nine were wounded, police said.

The U.S. military said it killed one al-Qaida leader and detained three other members of the group Saturday morning during raids in the dangerous Dora neighborhood of south Baghdad. It also announced capturing what it termed four high-ranking militia leaders during Oct. 12-14 operations in near Iskandariyah, 30 miles from the capital. Use of the word militia indicated the men were rogue members of the Mahdi Army.

In the far north of Iraq, where Turkey is threatening to invade the autonomous Kurdish region to attack guerrilla camps of the separatist Kurdistan Workers' Party, rebel leader Murat Karayilan threatened to strike back by blowing up an oil pipeline running into Turkey.

"When Turkey starts a military operation against our bases, we will defend ourselves by targeting economic sites and one of our options is to hit the oil pipeline going from Kurdistan to Turkey," Karayilan said.

An estimated 15,000 Kurds, meanwhile, packed the streets of the border city of Zakho in northern Iraq to protest the Turkish threat and to warn they would defend their territory.

The protesters in Zakho waved the sunburst flag of Iraq's autonomous Kurdish region and unfurled banners reading: "No, no to the Turkish military incursion. Yes, yes to peace and security."

Kurdish rebel fighters operating from bases in the mountains of northern Iraq periodically cross the border to stage attacks in their war to win autonomy for Turkey's predominantly Kurdish southeast.
US, Iraqi forces detain militia fighters - Yahoo! News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 963 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Adam Bing

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:33 pm
@mlurp,
Mlurp, you are a Vietnam Vet. Give is an assessment please, on how the military campaign unravelled in Vietnam and whats happening in Iraq.

Please note I am not being cute. This is a genuine question to an expert who's been there. Rather than get bullshit from politicans, I'd much rather get it from a direct participant in one of the theaters.

My reading of history tells me that Vietnam too was riddled with intermittant successes and they did not make any difference to the ending. Would it be accurate to say the same is bound to happen in Iraq?

Please comment.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:39 pm
@Adam Bing,
I'm actually a little hurt that I was disallowed from posting in this thread. I cried a little.
aaronssongs

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42553 wrote:
I'm actually a little hurt that I was disallowed from posting in this thread. I cried a little.

Really? In the Wizard of Oz...it was the "cowardly lion", who cried...the tin man just "rusted".
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 11:26 am
@Adam Bing,
Adam Bing;42552 wrote:
Mlurp, you are a Vietnam Vet. Give is an assessment please, on how the military campaign unravelled in Vietnam and whats happening in Iraq.

Please note I am not being cute. This is a genuine question to an expert who's been there. Rather than get bull**** from politicans, I'd much rather get it from a direct participant in one of the theaters.

My reading of history tells me that Vietnam too was riddled with intermittant successes and they did not make any difference to the ending. Would it be accurate to say the same is bound to happen in Iraq?

Please comment.

its wonderful :thumbup: infact the british tourist board are running daily flights to baghdad :thumbup:
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;42553 wrote:
Don't cry your welcome at any of the boards threads.... lol
NEWS and not good... remember I am just posting it.. I didn't cause it nor support it. Link at the botom of the post which leads to more.

Bin Laden urges Iraq insurgents to unite 57 minutes ago

DUBAI (Reuters) - Osama bin Laden urged insurgent groups in Iraq to unite, saying divisions only helped the enemy, in an audio recording aired by Al Jazeera television on Monday.

ADVERTISEMENT

"The interest of the Islamic nation surpasses that of a group ... the interest of the (Islamic) nation is more important than that of a state," said a voice which sounded like the al Qaeda leader's.

"The strength of faith is in the strength of the bond between Muslims and not that of a tribe, nationalism or an organization.

"I advise ... our brothers, particularly those in al Qaeda wherever they may be, to avoid fanatically following a person or a group," he said.

Al Jazeera said the tape was entitled "message to the people of Iraq." It was not clear from the part of the tape aired when it had been recorded.

Bin Laden said he was addressing "mujahideen (holy warriors) in Iraq," Sunni Muslim militant groups fighting U.S.-led forces. Al Qaeda belongs to a school of Islam which regards members of Iraq's Shi'ite Muslim majority as heretics.

Al Jazeera said bin Laden urged Iraqi tribes to uphold their "tradition of resisting" occupation, in an apparent reference to the presence of British forces in Iraq in the last century.

The speaker warned insurgents against enemy attempts to drive wedges between groups by planting agents among them, and said such agents should be punished, but only after their guilt was established through thorough investigations.

Iraq's wing of al Qaeda is one of the key groups fighting U.S.-led forces and the Baghdad government. Bin Laden's followers have angered other Sunni groups and tribes through their hardline interpretations of Islam and indiscriminate killing of civilians.

Some Sunni groups have joined forces with al Qaeda to set up what they call an Islamic State in Iraq, but other groups and tribal leaders have rejected the move.

Last month, bin Laden issued three messages, including a video marking al Qaeda's September 11, 2001, attacks on New York and Washington in which about 3,000 people were killed.

Bin Laden said in the video that United States was vulnerable despite its power and insisted only conversion to Islam would end the conflict.

(Additional reporting by Firouz Sedarat)
Bin Laden urges Iraq insurgents to unite - Yahoo! News
0 Replies