Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:27 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;45540 wrote:
You want me to prove the tangibility of the universe?

If you can't prove it, then don't make absolute statements!

You say that perhaps time is not an issue to such a race... wouldn't you think a species that advanced would be able to sneak past our (what to them would be) ancient technology?

Who says they'd want to sneak past our technology? if they had traveled that far i'd think they'd want to do more than just "observe us"...

Given your theory, a species that lives in the same universe as us (living under the same limitations in physics) would have to be able to manipulate time to their needs. That, or they could use other theoretical methods of traveling (folding space, that in itself kind of requires the universe to be tangible). Again, a species that advanced could sneak past a species that has barely even started space travel.

again, who says they'd want to?

It's kind of like Google Earth'ing a tribe in the rainforest. They have no clue they're being watched or any concept of how it's done, but they are.

Watching from afar is not the same as visiting!

replies in bold!
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:41 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;45544 wrote:
replies in bold!

The absolute statement was not to say that there is a proven edge of the universe, but to show that the distance you proposed is MASSIVE.

It's like "driving halfway around the planet". You don't mean it literally Smile

They'd want to observe first. If we found a species that were less advanced than us, with absolutely no concept of how we or any of our technology works, you'd have a whole lotta question marks about how'd they react to your appearance. Would they welcome with open arms, or loaded ones?

How would people from the 10th century react to you if you simply appeared out of nowhere with your cellphone and laptop in hand... and talk about strange clothing! It'd be about like that, except instead of a TARDIS you'd have an Enterprise.

Also, who says they'd first show themselves now? Maybe they dropped by a hundred or so million years ago... not much to talk to back then, just a bunch of hungry dinosaurs who probably wouldn't have much to say anywho. How about just a few thousand years ago? Still, don't want to talk to people worshipping suns, eating each other for dinner and nailing themselves to wooden crosses.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:51 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;45545 wrote:
The absolute statement was not to say that there is a proven edge of the universe, but to show that the distance you proposed is MASSIVE.

we have yet to know how big the universe actually is, so the distance i proposed may not actually be that massive in comparison

It's like "driving halfway around the planet". You don't mean it literally Smile

i thought you meant a literal edge, if you didn't mean it that way, perhaps you shouldn't have tried to use big bang to prove a metaphorical edge

They'd want to observe first. If we found a species that were less advanced than us, with absolutely no concept of how we or any of our technology works, you'd have a whole lotta question marks about how'd they react to your appearance. Would they welcome with open arms, or loaded ones?

they probably would want to observe us first but that doesn't mean that they have visited us!

Also, who says they'd first show themselves now? Maybe they dropped by a hundred or so million years ago... not much to talk to back then, just a bunch of hungry dinosaurs who probably wouldn't have much to say anywho. How about just a few thousand years ago? Still, don't want to talk to people worshipping suns, eating each other for dinner and nailing themselves to wooden crosses.

i'm just saying all of those UFO sightings and claims of abduction are completely ridiculous!

replies in bold (again)
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;45547 wrote:
replies in bold (again)
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:41 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;45551 wrote:

look, as i said before "i just don't think aliens have visted us"!

i'm not here to change your mind, just note that there is no evidence for "Alien visitation" so whatever you decide to believe is "Faith-based"
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:21 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;45554 wrote:
look, as i said before "i just don't think aliens have visted us"!

i'm not here to change your mind, just note that there is no evidence for "Alien visitation" so whatever you decide to believe is "Faith-based"

I'm very aware of that. I'm just making sure you know I don't think Star Wars is real.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:12 am
@mlurp,
Quote:
Who knows... if they're observing us, maybe they're doing it as something on the side. We have eight other planets and 90 some moons that could have something more valuable than a pre-interstellar travel species.

LOL some people like to observe animals as entertainment, why can't they enjoy it aswell? Of course we are still struggling with the question of their existence, so it would be too soon to start considering their interests.
0 Replies