Thinking of buying a Pistol... ideas?

Freeman15

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 10:41 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;37984 wrote:
Most self defense situations are going to be a lot closer than that, ranging from 0-5m. Try explaining to a judge that you had to use deadly force on a perp that was 50'+ away. In a clutch situation something as simple as not getting off an extenal safety can get you killed, it's happened. Effective employment and stopping power at close distance are the two top priorities when selecting a self defense weapon, especially for the home. You don't want something that is going to over penetrate and kill your neighbors kids, and you don't want something that's going to go through and through and leave the perp still coming at you. For strictly home defense, there's no sub for a shortbarrelled shotgun, but they aren't too much fun for long at the range punching paper.

Glock 22 is looking REALLY good to me, will probably be a christmas gift to myself (though the G38 also looks tempting). My Remington 870 has 4 rounds of double in it at all times, and it kept by my bedroom door, but my apartment is small enough to make a pistol a more convenient avenue of self defense.

I'm going to lose the external safety, and stick with Glocks. I've only found a pittifully few number of negative reviews on them. Good call 92.
kmchugh

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 05:34 am
@Freeman15,
If you are serious, find a dealer with a range co-located. Every person is different, every hand is different, every handgun is different. many dealers will allow you to test fire different firearms to find out which fits you best. That said:

The Glocks are outstanding firearms, both for paper hole punching and home defense. Good enough that many police departments and agencies are now using them. Very reliable.

My personal favorite is the Sig .45. Fits my hand perfectly, is highly reliable, and fires a round with significant knock down power. (Actually, having joined the Army before the age of the Beretta, I would have said the Colt Model 1911. However, it has the drawback of only having a 7 round mag. On the other hand, if you need more than that in the mag, you are probably in more trouble than you can handle alone.)

I currently don't own either of those. I have a Smith 9mm. I bought it after test firing a number of different 9's. I didn't really care for the Beretta that the military bought. Didn't feel right in the hand, but could qualify expert with it every time. It also is revealing some flaw in design, and it's long term reliability is questionable at best.

Best advice is find the one that fits you best. If you have not had training in firearm usage, get it, including some in instinctive shooting if you can find a qualified instructor.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 09:06 am
@kmchugh,
kmchugh;38579 wrote:
If you are serious, find a dealer with a range co-located. Every person is different, every hand is different, every handgun is different. many dealers will allow you to test fire different firearms to find out which fits you best. That said:

The Glocks are outstanding firearms, both for paper hole punching and home defense. Good enough that many police departments and agencies are now using them. Very reliable.

My personal favorite is the Sig .45. Fits my hand perfectly, is highly reliable, and fires a round with significant knock down power. (Actually, having joined the Army before the age of the Beretta, I would have said the Colt Model 1911. However, it has the drawback of only having a 7 round mag. On the other hand, if you need more than that in the mag, you are probably in more trouble than you can handle alone.)

I currently don't own either of those. I have a Smith 9mm. I bought it after test firing a number of different 9's. I didn't really care for the Beretta that the military bought. Didn't feel right in the hand, but could qualify expert with it every time. It also is revealing some flaw in design, and it's long term reliability is questionable at best.

Best advice is find the one that fits you best. If you have not had training in firearm usage, get it, including some in instinctive shooting if you can find a qualified instructor.

I qualified with the M9 when I was a midshipman, and I've been shooting pistols for a while, so I know how to operate them well. I just never had the desire to own one until recently. I'm heading to Sportsman's Warehouse today to put my mits on a Glock 38, Glock 22, and Springfield XD40. My friend Chris offered to let me fire his XD40 sometime next week, and swears by it (he carries it concealed). We'll see how they feel. Thanks for the reply.
0 Replies