Thinking of buying a Pistol... ideas?

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:49 pm
I'm seriously considering buying a pistol, as my shotgun is starting to bore me (only a little). I can settle for a 9mm, but would prefer a .40 or .45. Budget is no more than $900. I'd LIKE to buy American, but I'm open to import brands.

So far I've looked at:
S&W 410 (fired it, loved it)
S&W 908
Ruger P944
Springfield XD40 (buddy owns one, swears by it)

Any ideas?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,554 • Replies: 22
No top replies

wvpeach

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 12:55 pm
@Freeman15,
You'll never get bored with a good 22/250 semi automatic with a couple of 50 round clips. Fiberglass stock and a nice scope. Fun to play around with

Cheap to shoot and gets the job done.

As for pistols I like my 357 . Its also cheap enough for target practice.

Check out the price of ammo , if you want to practice a lot.

We have guns that ammo costs $3 a round for. They don't get shot much.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:05 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;37800 wrote:
You'll never get bored with a good 22/250 semi automatic with a couple of 50 round clips. Fiberglass stock and a nice scope. Fun to play around with

I love .22's. I once fired two S&W 22S's (one in each hand) at the range, and it felt like an action movie (if the bad guys were......a hill). .22LR is fun.

.357 SIG, or .357 Mag?
mlurp

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:12 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;37800 wrote:

Now thats sure sign of a believer. Power guns. looool Sorry I am joking.
I have 2 shot guns. 2 pistoles and a 30 30 lever action with scope. Oh yes my favorite a spiked bayonet, SKS with choice of 10, 20 or 30 round clips.
Every firearm has over 300 rounds of ammo.
But I miss my S&W 357 6" er. This 9MM Rugar just doesn't have the range or knock down power of the 357. But it has a 30 round clip as well as 3, 15 round clips.
Now before buying a firearm one needs to address what they want it for. How much they are willing to spend.
And most important do you really need one?

I have Jesus, to protect me. But to protect others I have my firearms. Which I have owned for over 15 years.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 01:29 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;37806 wrote:
Now thats sure sign of a believer. Power guns. looool Sorry I am joking.
I have 2 shot guns. 2 pistoles and a 30 30 lever action with scope. Oh yes my favorite a spiked bayonet, SKS with choice of 10, 20 or 30 round clips.
Every firearm has over 300 rounds of ammo.
But I miss my S&W 357 6" er. This 9MM Rugar just doesn't have the range or knock down power of the 357. But it has a 30 round clip as well as 3, 15 round clips.
Now before buying a firearm one needs to address what they want it for. How much they are willing to spend.
And most important do you really need one?

I have Jesus, to protect me. But to protect others I have my firearms. Which I have owned for over 15 years.

I've heard some negative things about Ruger's reliability, mostly with feed jams. Run into any of those?
rugonnacry

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 05:06 pm
@Freeman15,
.50 cal Desert eagle $999.99 @ Cash America Pawnshop In Humble Texas.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 07:35 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;37804 wrote:
I love .22's. I once fired two S&W 22S's (one in each hand) at the range, and it felt like an action movie (if the bad guys were......a hill). .22LR is fun.

.357 SIG, or .357 Mag?

Actually I have no idea what kind of 357 . Hubby is a gun collector having antiques that go back into the late 1700's .

I like the pistol I use because it has clips too and you can slap another six rounds in quick , or eight ( I forget which) and then it has the little expeller that throws out all the shells at once.

I rarely use it, hubby makes me practice with it a couple of times a year and then clean it ritualistically other wise it would just sit.

I like my 22/250 for in the woods I just throw the strap over my back and off I go. Pity the bear or mounatin lion that comes after me. I am not a good shot , but will put a hurting on it with that 50 round clip for sure as I am not that bad a shot either.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:39 pm
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;37852 wrote:
Actually I have no idea what kind of 357 . Hubby is a gun collector having antiques that go back into the late 1700's .

I like the pistol I use because it has clips too and you can slap another six rounds in quick , or eight ( I forget which) and then it has the little expeller that throws out all the shells at once.

I rarely use it, hubby makes me practice with it a couple of times a year and then clean it ritualistically other wise it would just sit.

I like my 22/250 for in the woods I just throw the strap over my back and off I go. Pity the bear or mounatin lion that comes after me. I am not a good shot , but will put a hurting on it with that 50 round clip for sure as I am not that bad a shot either.

I generally don't take my Remington 870 with me when I hike/backpack, but in addition to my standard knife, I usually carry a larger, fixed-blade.

If you're ejecting shells it's a .357 mag, which is an awesome load. 357 SIG is a high velocity 9mm.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 08:55 pm
@Freeman15,
Are you carrying, or just target shooting/home defense? For a firearm I always look at what I want it to do, and then look at the field of contestant.

As far as carrying for self defense, hands down, Glock. Comes in everything from 9mm to .45 and has subcompact, compact, and fullsize frames of all calibers. It is simple, and the most dependable handgun around.

If you are going to be punching paper, or looking into home defense, there's a lot of good choices. Beretta, Glock, S&W, Sig, Kimber...start thinking about features you'd like, and like to avoid.
briansol

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 09:57 pm
@Freeman15,
things to consider are the ranges around you. Here, you can pretty much only shoot a 22 with 'house' or low-grain count ammo. nothing bigger.

for home protection, and from a legal standpoint, its BEST to have the same gun that cops in your area carry. The closer you are to their weapon may save your ass in court chould the need ever arise to use it.

Although, texas is quite different than around here
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:09 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;37859 wrote:
Are you carrying, or just target shooting/home defense? For a firearm I always look at what I want it to do, and then look at the field of contestant.

As far as carrying for self defense, hands down, Glock. Comes in everything from 9mm to .45 and has subcompact, compact, and fullsize frames of all calibers. It is simple, and the most dependable handgun around.

If you are going to be punching paper, or looking into home defense, there's a lot of good choices. Beretta, Glock, S&W, Sig, Kimber...start thinking about features you'd like, and like to avoid.

No concealed carry, just for banging rounds off and home defense.

I want SA/DA, and no less than 10 in the magazine. Lever safety, and as I said earlier, preferably over .40 caliber.
mlurp

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:30 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;37815 wrote:
I've heard some negative things about Ruger's reliability, mostly with feed jams. Run into any of those?

On my first one I lived a county south of here and had miles of fields and the R.R. and the hill and bridge as a back drop. Sunny spring morning, cup of coffee and a clip were nice. But when I married and moved to IN. I put away the boy toys. I did take my step son shooting with my .58 cal black powder Kentucky rifle. Still have that too. But I jut got this P-89 and have only shot about 30 rounds through it. No jams. The other one I put better than a thousand rounds Thur it. So yes it stove piped a few times. But a 6 shot with the ability to hit at 100 feet or better. That would be my choice. And able to handle heavy loads.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 10:38 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;37866 wrote:
No concealed carry, just for banging rounds off and home defense.

I want SA/DA, and no less than 10 in the magazine. Lever safety, and as I said earlier, preferably over .40 caliber.

I'd go with a Kimber, or Springfield .45 (except the 10 round thing Sad ) . Only reason is you say you want an external safety, otherwise I'd go Glock or XD. I believe the M&P doesn't have a lever safety, but it does have safeties(sic?) simliar to the Glock, and XDs, and is quite honestly, one of the most comfortable pistols I have ever held. I'm not a huge fan of .40, but my dad has a Glock 22C and it is a damn nice shooter.

IMHO you should scrape the external safety requirement and go with a Glock. I am kind of biased towards them, but since I have well over 1000 rounds though mine and not one single failure I see no reason to not consider one.
Freeman15

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:06 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;37878 wrote:
I'd go with a Kimber, or Springfield .45 (except the 10 round thing Sad ) . Only reason is you say you want an external safety, otherwise I'd go Glock or XD. I believe the M&P doesn't have a lever safety, but it does have safeties(sic?) simliar to the Glock, and XDs, and is quite honestly, one of the most comfortable pistols I have ever held. I'm not a huge fan of .40, but my dad has a Glock 22C and it is a damn nice shooter.

IMHO you should scrape the external safety requirement and go with a Glock. I am kind of biased towards them, but since I have well over 1000 rounds though mine and not one single failure I see no reason to not consider one.

I'll have to go check one out (glock, that is). My buddy's dad is an avid pistol shooter, he's bound to have one. My only issue with Glocks is the DA only (no external hammer). In a home-defense situation, I want my first shot downrange fast. Kimbers are pretty pricey aren't they? My friend Larry has one, and it LOOKS nice (1911 reliability is unquestioned), but I've never fired it, and he said it set him back a chuck of change.

Glock 21 the one you'd tell me to look at? Or are the compact models easier to shoot? I've got large enough hands to accomodate the Deagle (I held one at Cabela's, bulky but do-able), but Glocks look kind of square.

I was learning towards the Smith and Wesson 410. Heard anything good/bad?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 17 Sep, 2007 11:28 pm
@Freeman15,
Kimbers will set you back in the 550-1200 range, depending, my brother just sold his for 600, but I'd say 650-800 is average. The good thing about the Glocks, and the XDs and M&P is that they all have safety systems that let you keep one in the pipe with perfect safety (of course if you have kids, that's a bad idea no matter what safety a firearm has). You can throw a locked and loaded Glock at a wall all day and it will not fire, same with the other two, they all have sequential safety systems that start at the trigger, so you keep your booger hook of the bang stick and you're fine. External safety can accidently but disengaged.

I'd look into a compact, or standard frame in the Glocks, or the 5" M&P, especially if you aren't carrying. The G22, or G23 for a .40, or the G21 in .45. The compacts still have a long enough sight base to make them comfortably accurate, of course the larger frame is going to have a large sight base, and hence be more accrurate at distance, though all are good with practice.

I had a S&W 459 a long time ago, not bad a pistol, but I am not a fan of S&W autos, they don't feel natural to me, but I REALLY like their wheel guns. About the only "bad" thing I have heard about them is weight. They seem reliable from what I have read.
0 Replies

tvsej

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 03:40 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;37859 wrote:

have to agree, so far mine has been a no nonsense pistol, 10 round clip on mine, plenty of power for self defense and 9mm is cheap. 45 cal. is also an op. A Glock is light and easy to take down and clean, no spring surprises, stays put, also i have dropped it in water dirt and mud and she keeps on ticking. my personal favorite i swear by it.
mlurp

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 11:31 am
@tvsej,
I still say a sure hit at 100 feet is better than any that have a reach of 50 feet or less no matter how many rounds inthe clip. Save the clip pistol for close range as it was designed for. And get a 6 shot revolver with a six inch barrel (or longer) to cover both situations.
Hunters do hunt with large caliber six shooters none hunt with clip type pistoles. So that says a lot. But then it comes down to what you are going to use it for, how much you want to spend and how comfortable it feels to you. Not every 3 and a half inch barrel shooter like James Bond can hit anything past 20 feet.
92b16vx

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 12:06 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;37974 wrote:
I still say a sure hit at 100 feet is better than any that have a reach of 50 feet or less no matter how many rounds inth eclip. save the clip pistol for close range as it was designed for. And get a 6 shot revolver with a six inch barrel (or longer) to cover both situations.
Hunters do hunt with large caliber six shooters none hunt with clip type pistoles. So that says a lot. But then it comes down to what you are going to use it for, how much you want to spend and how comfortable it feels to you. Not every 3 and a half inch barrel shooter like James Bond can hit anything past 20 feet.

Most self defense situations are going to be a lot closer than that, ranging from 0-5m. Try explaining to a judge that you had to use deadly force on a perp that was 50'+ away. In a clutch situation something as simple as not getting off an extenal safety can get you killed, it's happened. Effective employment and stopping power at close distance are the two top priorities when selecting a self defense weapon, especially for the home. You don't want something that is going to over penetrate and kill your neighbors kids, and you don't want something that's going to go through and through and leave the perp still coming at you. For strictly home defense, there's no sub for a shortbarrelled shotgun, but they aren't too much fun for long at the range punching paper.
wvpeach

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 06:59 pm
@Freeman15,
As I said hubby is a collector from his youth. Let that suffice as this is the internet and the patriot act is in full effect.

Lets just say I fought for a couple of years to get to call the pistol I have as my own. Hubby didn't want to give it up even though he has a few similar to it. He finally took the pearl handles off it and put back on the wooden ones and gave it to me one day.

I just like how easy it is to shoot.

Oh hubby just walked in and says it is a 38 special taurus. Oops .

Still a nice pistol. But there is no telling if its stock , hubby is always buying conversion kits and changing this and that he loves his toys and that is what they are toys to him.

Freeman15;37858 wrote:
I generally don't take my Remington 870 with me when I hike/backpack, but in addition to my standard knife, I usually carry a larger, fixed-blade.

If you're ejecting shells it's a .357 mag, which is an awesome load. 357 SIG is a high velocity 9mm.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Tue 18 Sep, 2007 07:02 pm
@Freeman15,
hubby and I both have concealed and carry permits and try to avoid states on vacation that do not comply. That means we are having to stay closer and closer to home. We camp a lot and have had some incidents while camping that were a little alarming.
0 Replies