A Solution For Illegal Immigrants?

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 07:59 am
Legislation that could grant legal status to hundreds of thousands of undocumented high school graduates is creating a schism among Latino educators and others who have typically favored legalization efforts.

At issue is a component of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors Act, or DREAM Act, a bill that could be voted on in the Senate by next week as an amendment to a Department of Defense authorization bill.
The proposed legislation, a version of which was first introduced in 2001, would make high school graduates who arrived in the United States illegally at 15 or younger and who have lived here at least five years, eligible for conditional legal status provided they attend two years of college or serve two years in the military.

After six years, those who meet "the conditions" could obtain legal permanent resident status.

It is the military service component that has landed some Latino supporters of legalization measures on the same side of the proposal as the immigration restriction lobby, which decries the DREAM Act as amnesty.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Military -- Military aspect of immigrant bill eyed
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,618 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Freeman15

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 10:17 am
This bill is unnecessary because a solution already exists, deport all illegal immigrants one finds. All this bill will do is lower the number of "illegal immigrants" on paper, because many of them will have been granted resident status. It does nothing to stem the flow of unskilled labor into this country, and it certainly doesn't protect America from the dregs of Mexico.

No residency, no citizenship, no amnesty, no exceptions. If you're here illegally, and you're caught, you need to be sent home. If you invited someone into your home, and they stayed past their welcome, you wouldn't yell at them for overstaying, and then ask them to move in. These people either jumped the border or overstayed their visas, both actions demonstrate a complete lack of respect for this country or our laws. Deport them all, and use the fines from their employers to finance the operation.
hatukazi

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:44 am
@Freeman15,
my perspective on illegal immigrants might be a little different, it annoys me that here is a whole group of people who have all done something illegal just to enter this country, yet THEY get an opportunity to be full legal.
I dont.
due to my own actions in the PAST, I am (still) a felon.
I will NEVER have an opportunity to be a full legal citizen again.
I was born in this country and told I had unalienable rights based on that fact.
I have not committed any crimes for years now, but the fact is I can not support my family as a felon because of the discrimination that comes from me being FORCED to disclose this on a job application. (no right to privacy either, if I lie I can be checked up on)
I have no desire to commit crimes anymore, my kids are too important to me, but I think that Americans should be afforded the same opportunities that are shown to outsiders.
AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:21 am
@hatukazi,
Anyone that agrees that illegals should have the same right as Americas, these people don't care anything about the kids nor their childerns childern..
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:09 am
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;41502 wrote:
my perspective on illegal immigrants might be a little different, it annoys me that here is a whole group of people who have all done something illegal just to enter this country, yet THEY get an opportunity to be full legal.
I dont.
I was born in this country and told I had unalienable rights based on that fact.
I have not committed any crimes for years now, but the fact is I can not support my family as a felon because of the discrimination that comes from me being FORCED to disclose this on a job application. (no right to privacy either, if I lie I can be checked up on)
I have no desire to commit crimes anymore, my kids are too important to me, but I think that Americans should be afforded the same opportunities that are shown to outsiders.

I feel you. I made mistakes, in my youth, and they have cost me dearly.
I can at least vote, but finding a apartment, getting a job, have proved problematic, at times...this shouldn't be...else what is the point in rehabilitation, or paying one's debt to society?
I certainly don't feel that illegals should be granted the same rights as bona fide Americans, but I think we should pick and choose who should stay, and for valid reasons...some illegals here are extremely skilled and talented, and that should be taken into account...unskilled laborers are at the bottom of the proverbial barrel, and should be the first to go, after the criminal elements are removed.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:16 am
@FedUpAmerican,
agreed.

i think the whole felon thing is too damn picky.

Felonies range anywhere from arson to bashing mailboxes. Certainly, i would not have a problem working with someone who bashed mailboxes in..... and as long as he was past his fire-starter stage, no problem there either.

murder, armed robbery, etc... i have a harder time with... and rightfully so.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:59 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41493 wrote:
This bill is unnecessary because a solution already exists, deport all illegal immigrants one finds. All this bill will do is lower the number of "illegal immigrants" on paper, because many of them will have been granted resident status. It does nothing to stem the flow of unskilled labor into this country, and it certainly doesn't protect America from the dregs of Mexico.

No residency, no citizenship, no amnesty, no exceptions. If you're here illegally, and you're caught, you need to be sent home. If you invited someone into your home, and they stayed past their welcome, you wouldn't yell at them for overstaying, and then ask them to move in. These people either jumped the border or overstayed their visas, both actions demonstrate a complete lack of respect for this country or our laws. Deport them all, and use the fines from their employers to finance the operation.

Great post Freeman15... I agree completely with you no this.
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:04 pm
@hatukazi,
Not knowing tthe crime but still you deserve the right to raise your family and I believe you have paid the price of your crime, am I right. Then there should be a process where one by one each felon could regain the proper status and be removed from a list. Now there are a few crimes this might not apply to. But I am not the judge of what these should be. May the Lord, bless you with a better chance at life and work.

hatukazi;41502 wrote:
I dont.
hatukazi

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 01:03 pm
@mlurp,
at the time, I thought I was just stealing. I was not trying to victimize anyone, illegal immigrants face the same dillema, just trying to make something for their families, they dont come here with the intention of harming anyone yet they do.
I am sure most of them dont mean to.
FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 01:19 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
That doesn't make it right.

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. Period.

Whether it is "meant to" or not.
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 01:50 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
I think offering them a path to citizenship like this is viable. I would say 4 years of military service or 2 years of college. During that time they recieve no US federal aid or social security services and they must pass an English language and history exam once the college/military portion is completed

but we're still getting ahead of ourselves

where's our damn border fence?
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:01 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;42115 wrote:
That doesn't make it right.

ILLEGAL is ILLEGAL. Period.

Whether it is "meant to" or not.

whoops, I didnt say it was right, Also I have an issue with illegal immigrants being afforded opportunuties that I myself am not.

obviously the border guards and INS were not doing their jobs for the last few years or so, when is someone going to hold them accountable for us having ANY problems with immigration?
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 06:50 pm
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;42111 wrote:
at the time, I thought I was just stealing. I was not trying to victimize anyone, illegal immigrants face the same dillema, just trying to make something for their families, they dont come here with the intention of harming anyone yet they do.
I am sure most of them dont mean to.

I went with the wife twice to Mexico. Had a camera taken from the room. And when we went outside the tourist area I was fearful. I believe some do plan on a life of crime here. they have contacts who send for them. They bring drugs over the boarder/under it. And the Mexican mafia is real and planted in this country. Not most but some come for the crime. In their own country armed robbery gains them nothing. Same for strong arm robbery. Yes I believe some do come just to make it by way of crime. Our laws send them back with very little jail time. Much less than their country and in our jails they have more than they had at home in so many cases. But of the thousands each day no not the most of them. But enough to make life here very hard on the citizen. just how many times has one saw a TV report on them doing crime in America. Each one is costly and it has to stop.
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 07:10 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
the sad fact is (at least in MN) when someone from Mexico gets sentenced to prison, they can file and be deported without completion of their sentence. Then those that come here to commit crime can just cross the border again.... and again.... and again.

shouldn't some part of the solution rest on the border patrol that let them in in the first place?
mlurp

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:03 pm
@hatukazi,
The boarder patrol doesn't make the policy. maybe this might help this disussion.
Dobbs: Big media hide truth about immigration
POSTED: 1:39 p.m. EDT, April 25, 2007
By Lou Dobbs
CNN

Adjust font size:
Editor's note: Lou Dobbs' commentary appears weekly on CNN.com.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- The Bush administration and the leadership of the Democratic Party are preparing to take another legislative leap at imposing a massive illegal alien amnesty on American citizens.

And the mainstream media are complicit in advancing this thinly veiled blanket amnesty. Instead of asking and answering important questions about why our immigration laws aren't being enforced and why we're permitting pervasive document fraud, the national media seem hell-bent on trying to obfuscate the issue, shamelessly playing with language, equating legal immigration with illegal immigration while obviously trying to preserve the illusion of objectivity.

Too often, the language of the national media describes illegal immigration as "migration" and illegal aliens as "undocumented immigrants," even though many of them have lots of documents, most of which are fraudulent or stolen. Some media outlets have taken to calling illegal aliens "entrants." Whether such language is meant to engender sympathy or to intentionally blur the distinction between legal and illegal, the mainstream media are taking sides in this debate.

The Arizona Republic, for example, used "undocumented immigrant" more than 80 times in 36 separate stories in the past month alone; the term appeared as many as 12 times in one article on "migration," according to our Lexis-Nexis search. At the same time, "illegal alien" appeared a total of only nine times during that span, with seven of the references coming from readers' opinions, one from a quotation and one from an editorial.

The mainstream media report as if America would no longer be a welcoming nation if we stopped illegal immigration. Nothing could be further from the truth. Why do the national media conveniently and routinely neglect to report that the United States brings in more lawful immigrants than the countries of the rest of the world combined? Each year, we accept 2 million immigrants legally. We give a million legal immigrants permanent residency every year. We bestow citizenship on 700,000 people a year and provide almost half a million work-related visas a year.

Illegal immigration, in fact, has the potential to change the course of American history: Demographers at the Brookings Institution and the Population Reference Bureau paint a troubling picture of the future of our democracy. As more illegal aliens cross our borders and settle in large states like California, Texas and Florida, congressional seats will be redistributed to these bigger states following each decennial Census. States with low levels of immigration will ultimately lose seats as a result. Unfortunately for American citizens, this seismic shift in political representation will be decided by noncitizens that cannot vote.

Congress will soon take up so-called comprehensive immigration reform, and a bipartisan House bill would probably admit 400,000 guest workers a year. And since any plan calling for eventual legalization would include family members who live outside the United States, the legislation would open our borders to tens of millions of people. The Heritage Foundation's Robert Rector estimated that the 2006 version of the McCain-Kennedy bill would have added an additional 66 million immigrants over the next 20 years. The bill may change, but that estimate has yet to be refuted.

There's no question this type of mass immigration would have a calamitous effect on working citizens and their families. Professor Carol Swain, professor of law and political science at Vanderbilt University and author of "Debating Immigration," would like to see more people speak up for the sectors of society most affected by illegal immigration.

"How many African-American leaders have you seen come out and address the impact that high levels of illegal immigration [are] having in the communities when it comes to jobs, when it comes to education, when it comes to health care?" she asked. "And often, these low-skilled, low-wage workers compete in the same sectors for jobs."

Let's have a vigorous open debate on illegal immigration in this country, and let's begin with the facts. Estimates of illegal aliens in this country range from 12 million to 20 million people. Why doesn't our government know how many there are?

Shouldn't this Congress and this president at least recognize that the industries in which illegal aliens are employed in the greatest percentages also are suffering the largest wage declines? And shouldn't there be an economic impact statement researched and delivered to this Congress, this president and the rest of us before any legislation granting amnesty is even considered?

Shouldn't we first bring the facts of illegal immigration out of the shadows?

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the writer.
Dobbs:*Big media hide truth about immigration - CNN.com
hatukazi

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 05:28 pm
@mlurp,
that makes a lot of sense, the people of this country need to know the truth.
and then congress should vote by citizens feelings on the subject.

as a kind of side note, have you ever noticed when people on TV speak out on this issue and others, they choose the most ignorant bigoted people to place in the national spotlight? so when you speak out on a real issue with a real, valid point, you are automatically associated with the idiots?
mlurp

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:23 pm
@hatukazi,
Yea the elite have gotten us fooled and mixed up nicely.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 01:55 am
@hatukazi,
hatukazi;42111 wrote:
at the time, I thought I was just stealing. I was not trying to victimize anyone,

I don't know what you stole, but stealing is victimizing somebody, if it didn't, you wouldn't be stealing. That said, I have no problem with the law reguarding someone that came to America, stole property that wasn't theirs, and can never be a citizen, tough ****, shouldn't have stolen it.

We do NOT need anymore ******* laws, we have laws, we need to enforce the ones we have. Fine employers to the point that they do not hire illegals. No jobs, less reason to come to America. Arrest and deport every single one that gets caught. No more "anchor babies", or free healthcare. The last thing we need is more legislature.
mlurp

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 11:26 am
@92b16vx,
Quote: We do NOT need anymore ***ing laws, we have laws, we need to enforce the ones we have. Fine employers to the point that they do not hire illegals. No jobs, less reason to come to America. Arrest and deport every single one that gets caught. No more "anchor babies", or free healthcare. The last thing we need is more legislature. End Quote.

I agree with this portion of your post. Now how to get the law makers, the enforcers and the White House to agree with it?
0 Replies

hatukazi

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:51 am
@FedUpAmerican,
Yahoo!

here's some more to shake your head at.
0 Replies