Super Delegates - Why?

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:03 am
Questions for the Dems on this forum:

- Question #1: Why are there Super Delegates?
- Question #2: Should the Super Delegates exercise their own "better informed" judgements to select the candidate they feel is best for the Democratic nomination, even if this means chosing Clinton over Obama regardless of Obama's lead among elected delegates?
- Question #3: If the answer to Question #2 is no, which in essence is saying that the Super Delegates should simply "rubber stamp" the votes of the elected delegates, this takes me back to Question #1.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,066 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:29 am
@crackface mcgee,
A decision needs to be made, and it needs to be made now. If the Dems want ANY chance of getting their asses in the hot seat, they need to finish this.
crackface mcgee

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 08:11 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;56674 wrote:
A decision needs to be made, and it needs to be made now. If the Dems want ANY chance of getting their asses in the hot seat, they need to finish this.

So do you think there should be Super Delegates? If so, on what do you think they should base their vote? Based on personal judgement or based on the majority of elected delegates? If the latter, again...why have Super Delegates?

In my opinion, this is a firm example of the flawed Democratic party's notion that elected officials (a.k.a., "the government") should remove the decision-making power from the American people themselves. Apparently, the DNC thinks that to some degree, their own party's insiders know what's better for the people than do the people themselves.

The inevitable chaos that will be caused by this Super Delegate system is a firm example of how ineffective this "big government" approach can be. Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

I would be curious to hear a Democrat's opinion on the existence of Super Delegates. I have heard many Democrat's opinions on how the Super Delegates should vote, but have heard none admit that this is a bad idea altogether.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 02:37 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;56675 wrote:
So do you think there should be Super Delegates? If so, on what do you think they should base their vote? Based on personal judgement or based on the majority of elected delegates? If the latter, again...why have Super Delegates?

Me? No. The decision should have been made MONTHS AGO.

Quote:
In my opinion, this is a firm example of the flawed Democratic party's notion that elected officials (a.k.a., "the government") should remove the decision-making power from the American people themselves. Apparently, the DNC thinks that to some degree, their own party's insiders know what's better for the people than do the people themselves.

This is just stupid people doing stupid stuff. It's costing them, too.

If you wanna know about the gov't thinking their insiders know what's better for the people... look real hard at the PATRIOT Act.

Quote:
The inevitable chaos that will be caused by this Super Delegate system is a firm example of how ineffective this "big government" approach can be. Democrats are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

Big government how? Gov't today is bigger than ever, at least in snooping in people's lives all the while getting immunity for otherwise illegal acts.

Quote:
I would be curious to hear a Democrat's opinion on the existence of Super Delegates. I have heard many Democrat's opinions on how the Super Delegates should vote, but have heard none admit that this is a bad idea altogether.

Can't give you a Dem's opinion, but I will give my own: The idea is stupid.

Just so ya know, McGee, I haven't been all over here today... been away from my PC for about roughly 80% of the day. (reference your aggression thread).
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 04:40 pm
@Sabz5150,
I want change. I want Obama. I want change. I want Obama.
crackface mcgee

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 05:09 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;56723 wrote:
I want change. I want Obama. I want change. I want Obama.

You forgot to include the word "hope" in your post. Isn't that another buzzword overused by that seemingly empty vessel?
Reagaknight

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 06:37 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;56735 wrote:
You forgot to include the word "hope" in your post. Isn't that another buzzword overused by that seemingly empty vessel?

BLASPHEMY!!! Yes we can! Yes we can! You can't stop hope, it's too audacious!
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 07:22 pm
@crackface mcgee,
The abused will abuse. See sig Smile

I want more of the same! More of the same! For the Fatherland!

This is fun!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:30 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;56671 wrote:

- Question #2: Should the Super Delegates exercise their own "better informed" judgements to select the candidate they feel is best for the Democratic nomination, even if this means chosing Clinton over Obama regardless of Obama's lead among elected delegates?
- Question #3: If the answer to Question #2 is no, which in essence is saying that the Super Delegates should simply "rubber stamp" the votes of the elected delegates, this takes me back to Question #1.

To keep populist madmen such as Obama from becoming prez. The crazy mob really can't be trusted, at least half the time. Our founders knew that.:no:
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 07:37 pm
@Pinochet73,
If not for the Supers, imagine how easily I could win the Presidency:

"I promise to pull our troops out of Iraq within ONE week."

"I promise everyone a monthly Government check for at least $200, for the rest of everyone's life."

"I promise to completely open the borders of the U.S. to Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, and China."

"I promise to make everyone's life perfect through direct, expensive, unlimited government intervention."

"I promise to get America off oil. completely, within ONE year."

"I promise to avenge non-Europeans by harassing European-Americans."

"I promise......."

"I promise......."

"I promise......."

"I promise......."

"VOTE FOR ME.":bigok:
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:04 am
@crackface mcgee,
I'll vote for you! Hell, I've always wanted to see the political version of slamming a Veyron into a concrete wall at 250 miles per hour.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:37 am
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;56671 wrote:

It appears to me the Dems set it up that way for that explicit purpose. Another fact not many dems talkabout. How superdelegates can mulitply, assign other delegates, nice huh.
Obama may yet get the rug yanked out from under him, boy!! Would make for some nice race riots. But i'm sure some Hussein supporters will FEEL it justified?
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:45 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;56674 wrote:

Better write your Congressman. Funny how dems like to talk about how mean repugs are in elections. The you see the bitch that's on husseins back. And wonder if there is any worse. But you probably approved of the Sklintons before right, were you of the opinion that billieboy was the first black president, LOL.
DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:54 am
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;56675 wrote:

Quote:
Liberalism at it's finest.
Quote:
And How! I love it. No matter who wins the nomination, there's going to be millions of pissed of Dems. The Democrats culture of corruption is alive and well.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:04 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;56872 wrote:
Better write your Congressman. Funny how dems like to talk about how mean repugs are in elections. The you see the *** that's on husseins back. And wonder if there is any worse. But you probably approved of the Sklintons before right, were you of the opinion that billieboy was the first black president, LOL.

You don't think I've voiced my opinion to my reps? Oh ye of little faith.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:12 am
@crackface mcgee,
My reps get plenty from me.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
@crackface mcgee,
Looks like the rug is gettin ready!

Obama says no debates with Clinton between now and Indiana

Obama says no debates with Clinton between now and Indiana - Yahoo! News

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama on Sunday brushed aside a challenge from Hillary Rodham Clinton to debate before the May 6 primaries in Indiana and North Carolina.

On Saturday, Clinton said she wants Obama to face off with her in a debate without a moderator, Lincoln-Douglas style.

"I'm not ducking. We've had 21" debates, Obama said on "Fox News Sunday."

"For two weeks, two big states, we want to make sure we're talking to as many voters on the ground, taking questions from voters," he said. "We're not going to have debates between now and Indiana."

The more open style of debating where each side presents an argument gets its name from the famed debates that took place during the 1858 U.S. Senate race in Illinois between Republican Abraham Lincoln and Democrat Stephen Douglas.

Trailing in delegates and the popular vote, Clinton has been stepping up the pressure on Obama for more debates in advance of primaries on May 6 in Indiana and North Carolina.
She's not trailing any more.

This is the part that perked my ears.
Quote:
Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean said superdelegates should make known their choices on the Democratic nominee for president by the end of June. Ultimately, he said he believes their decisions will be based on who is more electable, rather than necessarily who has the most pledged delegates, because that is what party rules stipulate.

"This is essentially pretty close to a tie here," Dean said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

"What's going to happen in the last nine primaries is there's going to be some feeling at some point that one of these candidates is more likely to win than the other and that person will get the nomination. I can't tell you who that is, I have no idea who that is, but that's what's going to happen," Dean said.
Writings on the wall. Break out the riot gear.
0 Replies