Obama saving money by flying around the country?

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 05:41 am
What's with flying to Denver to sign the stimulus package? Or flying to Indiana or Florida to talk about the stimulus package?

Doesn't it bother anyone that Obama jumps on Air Force One at the drop of the hat? I have seen estimates of the cost to fly that plane ranging from $36,000 to $58,000 per hour.

How many jobs could he have created for one day flying around? One hour could pay one year salary for one person!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 629 • Replies: 6
No top replies

xexon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:21 am
@westernmom,
This office has many perks, but his presence IS required in many places. He can't just go somewhere on an impulse . There has to be official business first. This qualifies.

We agreed to pay this when a president is elected. There really isn't any way around it. America is a large country and his time is short.

x
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64057 wrote:
What's with flying to Denver to sign the stimulus package? Or flying to Indiana or Florida to talk about the stimulus package?

Doesn't it bother anyone that Obama jumps on Air Force One at the drop of the hat? I have seen estimates of the cost to fly that plane ranging from $36,000 to $58,000 per hour.

How many jobs could he have created for one day flying around? One hour could pay one year salary for one person!!!

So Bush walked everywhere?

If not, why is this a problem now?
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:32 am
@westernmom,
True but these little trips to sell his stimulus packages and to sign the bill are really things that could have been handled from the White House. I would think he should practice a little thrift during these hard economic times that he loves to spout about.
0 Replies

westernmom

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:33 am
@westernmom,
I don't recall Bush making a half a dozen trips during his first couple of weeks in office. And, like you guys keep telling us, times are tough out there!
xexon

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:47 am
@westernmom,
The alternative is to be another Bush who either stays in protected company or is out of sight altogether.

At least Obama is a people person, and this interaction with regular folks is part of the change he said he would bring.

We'll see...

x
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2009 06:47 am
@westernmom,
westernmom;64069 wrote:
I don't recall Bush making a half a dozen trips during his first couple of weeks in office. And, like you guys keep telling us, times are tough out there!

And he has traveled -- visiting more places in his early presidency than even Clinton. Those stops almost always include at least one event with a crowd of cheering supporters, providing daily footage for cable television networks and evening broadcast newscasts.

CNN.com In-Depth Specials - George Bush - The First 100 Days

Jog the memory?
0 Replies