Cheney and Obama are distant cousins: Mrs. Cheney

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:51 pm
Cheney and Obama are distant cousins: Mrs. Cheney

1 hour, 47 minutes ago

There's no sign of a family reunion planned, but U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney and Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama are distant cousins.

So says the vice president's wife, Lynne Cheney, who said she discovered that her husband of 43 years is eighth cousins with the senator from Illinois.

The two men could hardly be more different. Cheney is an advocate for pursuing the war in Iraq to try to stabilize the country, while Obama wants to get U.S. troops out of Iraq.

Mrs. Cheney told MSNBC on Tuesday that it was "an amazing American story that one ancestor ... could be responsible down the family line for lives that have taken such different and varied paths."

The common ancestor was Mareen Devall, who the Chicago Sun-Times said was a 17th century immigrant from France.

Mrs. Cheney said she discovered the link through family research for her new book, "Blue Skies, No Fences," about growing up in Wyoming.

(To read more about the U.S. political campaign, visit Reuters "Tales from the Trail: 2008" online at Tales from the Trail: 2008)

Someone be ready to do CPR on Obama.....just let Cheney go!@
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,114 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 05:59 pm
@aaronssongs,
this almost belongs in the Humor section

I remember some military friends and I grabbed lunch at a restaurant when one of the guys parents came to town. His name was Balue (yes like the bear). Well Snoden was attempting to chat up the waitress who humored him but wasn't feeling it. Snoden tried to play the nice guy game by clamming Balue was his cousin. This doesn't work so well because if Balue could have been any whiter I'd be surprised. Snoden was black, I mean dark skinned, like Eddie Murphy dark. The waitress knew he was lying and tried to call his bluff by asking him which side of the family he was from.

His response will forever be ingrained within my mind as one of the smoothest responses I've ever heard.

"The Dark Side"

LOL, cousins can be funny people
aaronssongs

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:30 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;42024 wrote:
this almost belongs in the Humor section

I remember some military friends and I grabbed lunch at a restaurant when one of the guys parents came to town. His name was Balue (yes like the bear). Well Snoden was attempting to chat up the waitress who humored him but wasn't feeling it. Snoden tried to play the nice guy game by clamming Balue was his cousin. This doesn't work so well because if Balue could have been any whiter I'd be surprised. Snoden was black, I mean dark skinned, like Eddie Murphy dark. The waitress knew he was lying and tried to call his bluff by asking him which side of the family he was from.

His response will forever be ingrained within my mind as one of the smoothest responses I've ever heard.

"The Dark Side"

LOL, cousins can be funny people

See, this is all interconnected to our conversation about the "N" word.
You see, the 1977 ground-breaking mini-series,. "Roots" brought out the deep dark secrets, pains, and heartaches we harbored as black people...when before our eyes, at least sterilized for TV, we saw the horrors of slavery, up close and personal...of families being separated by being sold off...of women being forced "sex slaves", and how the offspring of interracial unions were both ostracized by both black and white, and cherished and revered for their exotic mixes. How mulatto children became favored "house servants", and how the dark slaves were mistreated and relegated to being "field hands"...and how a divide was created between light skinned and dark-skinned blacks.
Most black people in America have relatives of all different shades, reflecting the intermixing, that happened years before.....small wonder that the politics of skin color are alive and well, today....hence it's exacerbation, subterfuge, and denial, connected to and by the "N" word, and it's continued usage and impact. It goes deep, and deeper still.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:26 pm
@aaronssongs,
Aww Roots, I need to pull that back out of my DVDcollection, haven't watched it in like 2 years

no, it was actually just a really funny story, & Snoden was a good friend and a funny ass dude
mlurp

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:30 pm
@Silverchild79,
Hey soldiers have no color difference if they are buddies. plain and simple. bounds are much deeper than any color isn't that right Silverchild79?
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 09:55 pm
@aaronssongs,
yup, I was blue, he was blue, that was it. The most common use of race in the military is a source of humor, think of it as a four year long episode of Cheppelle's Show
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:53 am
@aaronssongs,
I just heard Cheney invited his long lost cousin Obama on a quail hunting trip.
mlurp

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:46 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool He has to be smarter than to say yes cousin. looooooool
0 Replies