More Hate Crimes- Hangman's noose found on NYC prof's door

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:33 am
This is for all of you pretenders, who want to deny that this is a racist country, and want to minimize the perpetration of hate crimes as "blown out of proportion"
Reprint from a Yahoo Group post:

blAck americaweb.com
Hangman's noose found on NYC prof's door

Date: Wednesday, October 10, 2007
By: ADAM GOLDMAN -- Associated Press Writer, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) The president of Columbia University's Teachers College sent an e-mail to students and faculty members deploring the discovery of a hangman's noose on the office door of a black professor.

Police are investigating the incident as a hate crime, and Columbia planned a town hall meeting Wednesday afternoon for faculty and students to address the incident.

The university did not immediately say which professor was targeted, but she was identified in the local media as Madonna Constantine, a professor of psychology and education and author of a book entitled "Addressing Racism: Facilitating Cultural Competence in Mental Health and Educational Settings."

Students said Constantine, who is black, teaches a class on racial justice.

Calls to the publicist for Teachers College and Constantine's office were not immediately returned.

"You would think, Columbia being such a diverse campus and New York being such a diverse city, it shouldn't happen here," said student Mikayla Graham.

In the message to the college's 5,000 students and 150 faculty members explaining why police were on campus Tuesday, college president Susan H. Fuhrman said: "The Teachers College community and I deplore this hateful act, which violates every Teachers College and societal norm."

Teachers College, founded in 1887, describes itself as the nation's oldest and largest graduate school of education.

According to its Web page, the college brought black teachers from the South to New York for training in the early part of the 20th century, when schools in the South were segregated.

The college has a diverse student body, including students from nearly 80 countries. The racial breakdown is 12 percent black, 11 percent Asian American and 7 percent Hispanic.

The hangman's noose was discovered Tuesday morning, in an echo of other recent incidents involving the symbol reviled by many for its association with lynchings in the Old South.

Last year in Jena, La., three white students hung nooses from a big oak tree outside Jena High School. They were suspended but not prosecuted.

Racial tensions rose and a white student was beaten unconscious three months later. Recently, thousands of people protested the arrests of six black students in the incident.

Columbia has been the site of other campus turmoil, most recently last month when Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was invited to speak, prompting protests by groups angry over his statements questioning the existence of the Holocaust.

Last fall, Columbia was in the spotlight when a group of students stormed a stage to silence a speech by Jim Gilchrist, the founder of a group opposed to illegal immigration.

--
When people who are honestly mistaken learn the truth, they will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest! : Anonymous
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,737 • Replies: 97
No top replies

Freeman15

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:32 am
@aaronssongs,
You just don't think this through do you?

If you grant the government the authority to punish people for their beliefs concerning race, you open the door for them to punish people for their political/religious beliefs as well. Hanging a noose is idiotic and wrong, and could be considered assault in most states (assault meaning threat of violent action or causing a victim to feel endangered), but the motivation for a malicious act shouldn't matter in sentencing. If you shoot a man because he is Asian, or because you don't like him, you still shot him, and only the act and intent need be considered.

Did a crime occur?
Did the suspect INTEND to commit the crime, and did he act without durress?

Those are the only questions with which our legal system need concern itself. If you want to find out WHY people hate, or try to change other people's opinions, that's a job for sociologists and everyday citizens. Hate crime legislation has gotten us to the point where some radical Christian sects can't even express their religious views (which I find weird and cultish) because they believe homosexuals go to hell.

What happened at Columbia should be treated as an assault (since a threatening atmosphere was created), and if anybody is caught, they should be tried for it (though it will be a hard case to make). You have to have faith in free speech and reject the politics of censorship.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:47 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41278 wrote:

If you grant the government the authority to punish people for their beliefs concerning race, you open the door for them to punish people for their political/religious beliefs as well. Hanging a noose is idiotic and wrong, and could be considered assault in most states (assault meaning threat of violent action or causing a victim to feel endangered), but the motivation for a malicious act shouldn't matter in sentencing. If you shoot a man because he is Asian, or because you don't like him, you still shot him, and only the act and intent need be considered.

Did a crime occur?

Those are the only questions with which our legal system need concern itself. If you want to find out WHY people hate, or try to change other people's opinions, that's a job for sociologists and everyday citizens. Hate crime legislation has gotten us to the point where some radical Christian sects can't even express their religious views (which I find weird and cultish) because they believe homosexuals go to hell.

What happened at Columbia should be treated as an assault (since a threatening atmosphere was created), and if anybody is caught, they should be tried for it (though it will be a hard case to make). You have to have faith in free speech and reject the politics of censorship.

Think it through???????? I shouldn't have to "think it through"...you, obviously, didn't. You know what? I guess I'll never understand someone like you. You want me to subvert the indignity, injustice, and the horrific symbolism personified in "a noose, hanging on a tree, or on someone's door".
By your word, the Jews should have gone on with their dinner and prayers on Krystallnacht, and gotten over themselves.
I was quiet in my youth...I let things go by. I pretended that injustice and racism, and criminality didn't bother me. Well, no longer...being an artist, I am called to speak out against injustice...and I will, at every turn. No heartless, vacuous shell of a human being will make me think otherwise.
If I need to call upon the government to bring to justice those who would dare mock the First Amendment, and use it to instill hate and fear in those of us who stand in the light, then I will do so with all of my being. Go directly to Hell.
Freeman15

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41300 wrote:
Think it through???????? I shouldn't have to "think it through"...you, obviously, didn't. You know what? I guess I'll never understand someone like you. You want me to subvert the indignity, injustice, and the horrific symbolism personified in "a noose, hanging on a tree, or on someone's door".
By your word, the Jews should have gone on with their dinner and prayers on Krystallnacht, and gotten over themselves.
I was quiet in my youth...I let things go by. I pretended that injustice and racism, and criminality didn't bother me. Well, no longer...being an artist, I am called to speak out against injustice...and I will, at every turn. No heartless, vacuous shell of a human being will make me think otherwise.
If I need to call upon the government to bring to justice those who would dare mock the First Amendment, and use it to instill hate and fear in those of us who stand in the light, then I will do so with all of my being. Go directly to Hell.

Admins, don't ban him for flaming me, he's just emotional and incapable of rational argument.

Krystallnacht was very obviously a violation of the Jews rights to liberty and property, and was threatening to their lives in many cases. You lack any measurable cognitive abilities if you equate hanging a noose on a door to demolishing property and threatening people directly.

We as society have no right to punish people for what they think, PERIOD. If we all listened to you, there would be jailtime if somebody said the word, "jigaboo". You'd probably like that. but then what happens when other groups start claiming that words offend THEM? Now we're arresting people for preaching their faith, expressing their ideas, and generally exercising their right to be free. ALL SPEECH must be permitted, even if you don't agree with it. You seem to support liberty when it suits your agenda, and it disgusts everyone on this board with any semblance of understanding as to what true liberty is.

You're an artist so it's your duty to fight against racism and bigotry? What have you done lately? You have every right to try to change the public's perspective concerning racism, but you are quite simply being pretentious, bordering on the practice of douchebaggery, and this is why you so often get shot down factually AND philosophically.

So tell me, if I am a Democrat, and I kick the hell out of a Green because his party steals votes from mine, should I be charged with a hate crime?

What if I'm a gay man, and I assault a Christian for his belief that I will go to hell?

Or what if I'm one of six black people who viciously assault a white person because his opinion was different than mine?

Do these cases not also qualify as hate crimes under your definition? They seek to silence opposition to an opinion, impact a larger audience than simply the victim, and are violent in nature. Clearly if you're in favor of hate crime legislation you can agree that all of the above warrant more jail time than a case in which one white man assaults another white man because the victim slept with the perp's wife.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:41 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41312 wrote:
Admins, don't ban him for flaming me, he's just emotional and incapable of rational argument.

I don't need you to defend me....taking you to task is worth being banned, if that is the case...I get so sick and tired of "white people" wanting to hold people of color to the letter of the law, while they absolutely bear no responsibility for their own faux pas and misdeeds.
Just where do you get off telling black people that nooses are of no consequence, and that it shouldn't affect us on a visceral level?
It's like telling Jews at Dachau, not to be bothered by the ovens there...the intent is clear. Make no mistake...nooses, in this day and time, signify absolutely nothing but "lynching", as it applies to black people. It doesn't mean "happy damn birthday"...or "come to my bar mitzvah"...it means "remember this nig.., you might be next".....and how disgusting of you to be trying to justify it.
You have no shame....instead of jigaboo, why didn't you just use the word, "nigger", because that is exactly what you meant...and you should be held to the letter of the same law that I am....and should be banned...I'm calling for it. Do not think you can use such a crass and crude analogy, and get away with plying a "racial epithet" "on the cool"....you are not that clever, though you may be that stupid. And people have the audacity to call me a racist, at every turn...I'm sure your crude remarks will go unanswered...such, is typical of this board, and I'm already accustomed to it.
Call the nearest black person " a jigaboo" and see what happens to you, you coward.
It's people like you that are bucking for a racial war....keep on, you might get what you're asking for and more.

Do me a big favor....do not respond to anymore of my posts...and I'll do likewise. You are beneath contempt, and should be ignored.End of line
Freeman15

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm
@aaronssongs,
And the reason black America is in the toilet is.....
0 Replies

mlurp

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:45 pm
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41278 wrote:

Did a crime occur?

gee Freeman15 right up front it is stated, QUOTE: This is for all of you pretenders, who want to deny that this is a racist country, and want to minimize the perpetration of hate crimes as "blown out of proportion" END QUOTE. We are a partial racism country. I myself think more dark skinned inter city people are more raciest than most of the countries people. I feel that way here in Topeka. Places I used to go when I lived in Kansas, before I wouldn't dare go to now! In Indiana, I was surprised in the southwest were I lived there was very little racism. But visiting other veterans when I had to go to Indy, they were very racist. So I stopped visiting them. I grew up with dark skinned as friends. One of my best friends was and I loved his sister. But she had a boyfriend another older than me white guy. And I have several Viet-Nam buddies who are and we get along great. Skin color isn't important to me period. But to some it is a big issue.
back in Georgia while I was 7 years old in 1954, me and mom were riding the bus home and a dark skinneed lady got on and while moving to the rear of the bus I stood up and offered her my seat. When we got off the bus my mother tried to explain that doing that could cause problems, I didn't understand as we had some military friends who came over for dinner several times and I had a few friends who came over that were black. So she just let it go. When I was older Iasked her about it again. And then understood. but it didn't change my mind. And my mother wasn't a racist, She was worried somebody would have known her. What I understood was why I had to insist to the black woman to take my seat.
And yes by Federal law it is being investigated as a crime. You ever hear of Hate crime?
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 07:05 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;41342 wrote:
gee Freeman15 right up front it is stated, QUOTE: This is for all of you pretenders, who want to deny that this is a racist country, and want to minimize the perpetration of hate crimes as "blown out of proportion" END QUOTE. We are a partial racism country. I myself think more dark skinned inter city people are more raciest than most of the countries people. I feel that way here in Topeka. Places I used to go when I lived in Kansas, before I wouldn't dare go to now! In Indiana, I was surprised in the southwest were I lived there was very little racism. But visiting other veterans when I had to go to Indy, they were very racist. So I stopped visiting them. I grew up with dark skinned as friends. One of my best friends was and I loved his sister. But she had a boyfriend another older than me white guy. And I have several Viet-Nam buddies who are and we get along great. Skin color isn't important to me period. But to some it is a big issue.
back in Georgia while I was 7 years old in 1954, me and mom were riding the bus home and a dark skinneed lady got on and while moving to the rear of the bus I stood up and offered her my seat. When we got off the bus my mother tried to explain that doing that could cause problems, I didn't understand as we had some military friends who came over for dinner several times and I had a few friends who came over that were black. So she just let it go. When I was older Iasked her about it again. And then understood. but it didn't change my mind. And my mother wasn't a racist, She was worried somebody would have known her. What I understood was why I had to insist to the black woman to take my seat.
And yes by Federal law it is being investigated as a crime. You ever hear of Hate crime?

Very telling that he would associate "people" with "a toilet"...Speaks volumes.
mlurp

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:56 pm
@aaronssongs,
Sorry but Iam slow at times? :dunno: what you mean, Who is refering to a toilet. i am at a lose here.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:16 pm
@mlurp,
mlurp;41377 wrote:
Sorry but Iam slow at times? :dunno: what you mean, Who is refering to a toilet. i am at a lose here.

Freeman15;41323 wrote:

People on this site have been banned for less. If this isn't racist, then I don't know what would be.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 12:11 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41383 wrote:
People on this site have been banned for less. If this isn't racist, then I don't know what would be.

Race is a social construct, so being "racist" is really a matter of an interpretation of that construct. I reject contemporary "blacks" because the constructed norms of that group are those of lethargy, crime, and irresponsibility. You make apologies for such a construct, and so you and others like you are the reason so many American blacks play into the idea of "black". You'd understand this if you had even the slightest hint of formal education in sociology or political science.
mlurp

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:40 pm
@Freeman15,
Re: More Hate Crimes- Hangman's noose found on NYC prof's door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally stated by mlurp
aaronssongs Re: More Hate Crimes- Hangman's noose found on NYC prof's door

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote: Yesterday, 12:16 AM #10
aaronssongs

Originally stated by mlurp
Sorry but Iam slow at times? what you mean, Who is refering to a toilet. i am at a lose here.

Quote:
Originally stated by Freeman15

Very telling that he would associate "people" with "a toilet"...Speaks volumes.

Just took looking upwards a few posts. That is what I meant! but don't worry It Don't Mean nothing.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:25 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41300 wrote:

Fortunately for America, the 1st Amendment doesn't just protect love, peace, and harmonic ideals.
0 Replies

AMERICAFIRST cv

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:10 am
@aaronssongs,
Daddy,Daddy, that mean man call me a name!!where have the grown folks gone??
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 09:45 am
@AMERICAFIRST cv,
AMERICAFIRST;41625 wrote:
Daddy,Daddy, that mean man call me a name!!where have the grown folks gone??

The grown folks haven't gone anywhere...they've been here....Some have common sense, others couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. Some have good intentions, others, good hearts....but some do more devilment than the law would allow, and need to be locked up or institutionalized.
It's bad enough that some people still use words that hurt...words that have a history of hurt...but its worse that some people think it permissible to use objects of hate, which have symbolism, such as "nooses". If it is beyond your comprehension that this kind of stuff hits people of color on a visceral level that cannot be denied...well, then I can't help you. But it's not in your realm to say that black people shouldn't be bothered by such...my recommendation is don't bring it up...don't use words of hate...certainly don't display any nooses...and we'll all get along...or pretend to.
If you feel emboldened, and can't contain yourself...you might say the wrong thing, or exhibit the wrong behavior in the midst of the wrong people, and suffer some consequences. Blame yourself, for being stupid....The First Amendment guarantees your freedom of speech...your common sense should govern when and how you use that freedom.

Excuse me if I find your quotation ("GOD BLESS AMERICA AND ALL THAT DEFEND HER!!!") a little disingenuous, if not downright comical. All that I have said previously is to defend "black people" from hatespeech and symbols of hate. The Declaration of Independence states that we all are entitled to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness"...and I can't think about being happy when somebody is bandying about " a noose" ( "hanging from a tree", no less), and telling me that it's no big deal...or someone calling me the "n" word, and me having to keep my arms folded, instead of beating the crap out somebody. If that's the America you're talking about, then you and it can go to the devil. That is not the America I envisioned from listening to JFK give his inaugural address, Jan 20, 1961. Or listening to Martin Luther King give his "I have a Dream" speech..."live"....that is the only America worth defending.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 10:57 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;41264 wrote:
The hangman's noose was discovered Tuesday morning, in an echo of other recent incidents involving the symbol reviled by many for its association with lynchings in the Old South.

People keep making these allusions ON illusions.

The lynch was invented in, oh, i don't know... since at LEAST the 15th century. That's when the term was coined, so it was years before then that the hangings started.
source: Lynching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just because a lynch was found, and just because the professor was black, doesn't mean it was a hate crime.

Options that everyone seems to overlook:
-it could have been a black student (or even faculty) to leave it.
-it could have been totally random (i couldn't tell you half the college professor names from my own school, and a non ethnic name such as 'jackson' could easily be both white or black.)
-it could have been a prop for some Joan of Arc burning at the stake skit (doubtful... but i hope you catch my drift on it)

Everyone keeps jumping to conclusions that its a hate crime.

What if a black student left a noose on a white professors door?

how ould people react to that?
Freeman15

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:14 am
@briansol,
Aaron has the makings of a despot. You can say what you want......so long as it follows my rules and societal assumptions.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:21 am
@briansol,
briansol;41684 wrote:
People keep making these allusions ON illusions.

The lynch was invented in, oh, i don't know... since at LEAST the 15th century. That's when the term was coined, so it was years before then that the hangings started.
source: Lynching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just because a lynch was found, and just because the professor was black, doesn't mean it was a hate crime.
Options that everyone seems to overlook:
-it could have been a black student (or even faculty) to leave it.
-it could have been totally random (i couldn't tell you half the college professor names from my own school, and a non ethnic name such as 'jackson' could easily be both white or black.)
-it could have been a prop for some Joan of Arc burning at the stake skit (doubtful... but i hope you catch my drift on it)

Everyone keeps jumping to conclusions that its a hate crime.
What if a black student left a noose on a white professors door?

how would people react to that?

Briansol,
Seems I have given you way too much credit for having some semblance of "brains"...because you have none.
Given the fact that an atmosphere of hate and suspicion exist, due to the happenings in Jena, for someone to hang a noose on a professor's door, could not be construed as anything other than "a hate crime"...That's what it is...get over it. Because you think that it is not, does not change what others believe about it. Many think it is a hate crime to hang a noose...so do I.

And in your desperation to minimize or diminish the severity of the act, you grasp for straws by suggesting that another "black student" could have left the noose, or some faculty member....while in the realm of possibility, it would be highly unlikely, as there would be nothing to gain from it. While a "white"student might gain some satisfaction at being able to intimidate a professor, or fostering notoriety.
Your suggestion of it being "random", doesn't ring true, either...the person who did it, knew exactly what they were doing, and what result they were seeking.

You can choose to believe that there is no extraterrestrial life. That there is, doesn't change the fact that you were wrong in your assumption or belief.
Just because you don't think that "hanging a noose" doesn't constitute a "hate crime"...does not mean that it isn't. Doesn't matter what you think anyway....it matters what the majority believe.

If a black student hung a noose on a white professor's door, it would not have the same significance, because lynching wasn't particular to being 'white" and in the South. It was never used as a tool of intimidation and fear, as it was with blacks. It's a moot point. The fact that you would offer it up as an example shows either an incredible lack of sensitivity and understanding on your part....or the sensibilities of a moron.
aaronssongs

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:38 am
@Freeman15,
Freeman15;41696 wrote:
Aaron has the makings of a despot. You can say what you want......so long as it follows my rules and societal assumptions.
briansol

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 11:43 am
@aaronssongs,
I'm just playing devil's advocate here, pointing out othersides of what REALLY might have happened.

Not once did I say "I believe".

aaronssongs;41701 wrote:
Briansol,
Given the fact that an atmosphere of hate and suspicion exist, due to the happenings in Jena,

NO to NYC.... that's pretty damn far away to correlate events.

possible, but probably not connected in any way (or, no more than "video games cause violence")

Quote:

for someone to hang a noose on a professor's door, could not be construed as anything other than "a hate crime"...That's what it is...get over it.

Really?

What if this professor was the school play director, and the noose was a prop that was left out, so the janitor found it and put it there?

(again, agreed, doubtful)

but the fact of the matter is, "A noose on a door Does NOT equal hate crime RIGHT AWAY, NO QUESTIONS ASKED"

it needs to be investigated.

Quote:

Because you think that it is not, does not change what others believe about it. Many think it is a hate crime to hang a noose...so do I.

I think that if after court hearings and a suspect is on trial, and it comes out that he is a racist or it was a racist joke, then yes, i believe it should be tried as a hate crime.

If its the janitor, i would think a verbal warning to be more prudent with props would suffice.

But to assume..... as the saying goes, makes an ass out of you and me.

Quote:

And in your desperation to minimize or diminish the severity of the act, you grasp for straws by suggesting that another "black student" could have left the noose, or some faculty member....while in the realm of possibility, it would be highly unlikely, as there would be nothing to gain from it. While a "white"student might gain some satisfaction at being able to intimidate a professor, or fostering notoriety.
Your suggestion of it being "random", doesn't ring true, either...the person who did it, knew exactly what they were doing, and what result they were seeking.

again, while unlikely, it IS probable and possible.

with no facts on the table, its just as likely to be ANYTHING at this point.

Quote:

You can choose to believe that there is no extraterrestrial life. That there is, doesn't change the fact that you were wrong in your assumption or belief.

hey! don't bring aliens into this! lol

Quote:

Just because you don't think that "hanging a noose" doesn't constitute a "hate crime"...does not mean that it isn't.
Doesn't matter what you think anyway....it matters what the majority believe.

really?

1 man = hung jury.

so there, my friend, it does matter.

ever see 12 angry men?

1 man.

Quote:
If a black student hung a noose on a white professor's door, it would not have the same significance, because lynching wasn't particular to being 'white" and in the South.

just like it's ok for blacks to call other blacks "niggers", but if a white guy does it, it's a hate crime?

if i shouldn't do it, they shouldn't either, right?

or does it MATTER because of ones SKIN color that makes it OK?

Quote:

It was never used as a tool of intimidation and fear, as it was with blacks. It's a moot point. The fact that you would offer it up as an example shows either an incredible lack of sensitivity and understanding on your part....or the sensibilities of a moron.

no, it's this whole "its ok for one group but not ok for another group" crap that is bullshit to me.

if Eminem started using "nigger" in his raps like Lil' whoever, it would be a huge problem... but its ok for jay-z because he's black?

its ok for a black guy to put a noose on a white professors door, but not for a white guy to put it on a black professors door?

It's this reverse in-equality that fucks up race relations in America.