The Politics of Hypocrisy- Condi Rice's "Friend"

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 05:52 pm
The Gist

Condi's "Closest Female Friend"

Yesterday on the show I had an interesting conversation with Washington Post diplomatic correspondent Glenn Kessler, whose new book is The Confidante: Condoleezza Rice and the Creation of the Bush Legacy.

There have long been questions about Rice's sexual orientation and her personal life in general. As Kessler notes, "She has built a wall of privacy around her that is never breached." But Kessler had access to Rice's closest friends and to Rice herself, and he reveals some eyebrow-raising information that hasn't been out there before.

In the book and on the show, Kessler described how Rice's "closest male friend" is openly gay, a man by the name of Coit D. Blacker, a Stanford professor (Rice was provost at Stanford in the late 1990s for six years) and a Democrat who served in the Clinton administration. Blacker, whose partner is also mentioned, advised Al Gore's campaign in 2000, while his close friend Rice became a chief confidante to a president who has tried to make gays into second class citizens in the U.S. Constitution. But wait, it gets better.

Rice's "closest female friend" is a woman named Randy Bean (pictured here), who is unmarried and whose sexual orientation is not stated. She is described as a "liberal progressive;" she's a documentary filmmaker who works at Standford University and once worked for Bill Moyers. She and Rice and Blacker (again, who has a partner) are discussed as a "second family," a term Bean uses, also saying that, "on friends, [Rice] goes narrow and deep."

According to newly revealed information in the book (which Kessler found through real estate records), the two women, Rice and Bean (yes, hilarious), own a home together and have a line of credit together. Bean explains this to Kessler by saying that she had some medical bills that drained her financially years ago, and Rice and Blacker helped her out by buying the house with Bean. But over time Blacker sold his share of the house to Rice and Bean, and then Rice would later get the line of credit with Bean to do some renovations on the home. Kessler, when pressed, said he did not know if this meant there was something more to the relationship between the women beyond a friendship.

Where to begin?

For the record, in the book Kessler goes into the long-discussed rumors about Rice and the few times her sexual orientation has been gossiped about or discussed in the media, but he also talks about how single, older (heterosexual) women often "unfairly" have their sexual orientation questioned, and says in the book that Rice has been the target of "nasty attacks" in this regard. He mentions that she was linked to a man once -- back in college. Even if Rice is heterosexual, however, it is fascinating and mind-boggling that this woman whose best male friend is an openly gay liberal and whose best female "friend" is a "liberal progressive," would work for a president who has opposed every gay rights initiative and tried to enshrine religious hatred in the Constitution. What does it say about them as well?

Kessler, who is even-handed (and the bulk of whose book is about foreign policy, where he offers many interesting new insights, which we also discussed at length), reminded me that Rice doesn't work on the domestic side and only works on foreign policy, so she can't be held responsible for Bush's positions on those issues. But to me, that's like someone who worked for Mussolini saying, "I only helped to get the trains to run on time." (Though Rice hasn't even been that effective.)

Oh, and I thought you'd get a kick out of this passage:

After she became secretary of state, she came to a party at Blacker's house, kicked off her shoes, and began dancing through the night to rock and and roll. Blacker, who is gay, wanted to show his partner how tight her behind is; he postulated that if he aimed a quarter at her butt, it would bounce off like a rocket. He was right. Rice, who was dancing, didn't realize what he had done until everyone began laughing hysterically. She was flattered -- and proud.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,247 • Replies: 48
No top replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 06:01 pm
@aaronssongs,
Let me guess. She's gay and your offended?
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:38 pm
@aaronssongs,
Yet ANOTHER intelligent well thought out response from the epitome of brain damaged republican thinking. Good job of showing an example of what you people are all about.

Bet you're all going to feel good when the dems take over. A NEW President. A Democratic house and senate. The dems in control to clean up the MESS of republican ****. AGAIN!

Leaving you republicans to peck for bird seed with the pidegons. ROFLMAO!!!!!!
aaronssongs

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:15 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;38409 wrote:
Yet ANOTHER intelligent well thought out response from the epitome of brain damaged republican thinking. Good job of showing an example of what you people are all about.

Bet you're all going to feel good when the dems take over. A NEW President. A Democratic house and senate. The dems in control to clean up the MESS of republican ****. AGAIN!

Leaving you republicans to peck for bird seed with the pidegons. ROFLMAO!!!!!!

Notice I didn't even dignify that post with a response...and never again...
there are no rules or honor when they play the game...it must be a "Republican thing".
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:27 am
@aaronssongs,
Quote:
Notice I didn't even dignify that post with a response...and never again...
there are no rules or honor when they play the game...it must be a "Republican thing".

Again-- HOGWASH!
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:45 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38475 wrote:
Again-- HOGWASH!

Your response is hogwash... You're not as sophisticated as I once thought.
And I absolutely know the definition of "bane"...perhaps , it's a good thing that you posted it...there are so many here that have a phobia surrounding dictionaries. But do justice , and don't take me out of context ( another Republican dirty trick) : Conservatives' bane, thank you.
Red cv

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 06:43 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38490 wrote:
Your response is hogwash... You're not as sophisticated as I once thought.
And I absolutely know the definition of "bane"...perhaps , it's a good thing that you posted it...there are so many here that have a phobia surrounding dictionaries. But do justice , and don't take me out of context ( another Republican dirty trick) : Conservatives' bane, thank you.

Yet another personal attack by this skunk, I mean fine poster. God forbid we treat him as he does the rest of us.

Note to Brian; banning original members for nothing and pandering to newbies is going to be this forums undoing.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 07:07 pm
@Red cv,
Red;38543 wrote:
Yet another personal attack by this skunk, I mean fine poster. God forbid we treat him as he does the rest of us.

Note to Brian; banning original members for nothing and pandering to newbies is going to be this forums undoing.

Red, darling...shall we go back through all of the threads to look at your vile attacks upon, not only myself (though I seem to be your favorite prey), but many others? Let's not be hypocritical, shall we?
0 Replies

crackface mcgee

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:58 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38490 wrote:
You're not as sophisticated as I once thought.

Aaron, for the love of God, please get over your obsession with "sophistication". Really, aren't you old enough that you should be beyond this insatiable need to impress others?

Regarding Condi Rice's alleged "hypocrisy", the one significant factor missing here is an anti-gay allegation. Where is it? Not that I take the report about her and her "friends" with more than a grain of salt, but your accusation is missing a crucial element. Do you not realize the glaring omission?
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:14 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38554 wrote:
Aaron, for the love of God, please get over your obsession with "sophistication". Really, aren't you old enough that you should be beyond this insatiable need to impress others?

Regarding Condi Rice's alleged "hypocrisy", the one significant factor missing here is an anti-gay allegation. Where is it? Not that I take the report about her and her "friends" with more than a grain of salt, but your accusation is missing a crucial element. Do you not realize the glaring omission?

Crackface,
I'm not obsessed with "sophistication"...one either has it , or one don't.
Back in '97, when I came back to myself (better than ever), following the death of my mom, I got over trying to please others and I never have been one who needs to impress, as I realize "actions speak louder than words"...once again, I point out your "fear of a black hat"....my accomplishments are many...I have supped with kings and paupers...don't hate me for being me...hate yourself for your failure to get into acceptance....that someone might be better than or know more than you.
crackface mcgee

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:18 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38558 wrote:
I realize "actions speak louder than words".

Following this claim, you should stop talking about sophistication and just be your sophisticated self. If it's true, we'll recognize it. If you continue to claim in with words, we'll doubt it. We've been through this already.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:23 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38560 wrote:
Following this claim, you should stop talking about sophistication and just be your sophisticated self. If it's true, we'll recognize it. If you continue to claim in with words, we'll doubt it. We've been through this already.

Excuse me....who are you? The subject would never come up, if I hadn't been castigated, demeaned, talked about, called a liar, ridiculed, and made to feel "less than"....since so many jumped on that bandwagon....don't cry foul now that I've decided to speak up and out....just as it may have been hard on my ears to hear....I hope I'm serving up the same plate of displeasure.
get over it...and get back on topic.
0 Replies

crackface mcgee

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 09:59 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38554 wrote:

Aaron, you asked to get back on topic, but you completely ignored the last paragraph of my first post on this thread and decided to focus on yourself. So address the portion relevant to the initial post! I attempted to do so and you ignored it.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 11:30 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38565 wrote:
Aaron, you asked to get back on topic, but you completely ignored the last paragraph of my first post on this thread and decided to focus on yourself. So address the portion relevant to the initial post! I attempted to do so and you ignored it.

As a "self-professed" sophisticate....I choose not to engage in speculation...I care not what her (Rice's) proclivities are...I choose to focus on the hypocrisy displayed by Republicans, in general...as you recall, the democrats won back Congress ( despite all the good it's done), primarily behind George Allen's "macaca crack", and Mark Foley's late night emails. The height of racism and hypocrisy and moral compasses gone haywire. Hallmarks of the Republican party.
0 Replies

crackface mcgee

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 07:35 am
@aaronssongs,
I am not asking you to speculate. I am asking you to give me some facts. Quote an anti-gay statement that Rice has made. Give us something concrete here. Maybe she has made one, but I cannot imagine why you would omit it.

Give a little more credit to those reading your post - the attack is clearly on Condoleeza Rice. And you have NOTHING to back up your claim of her hypocrisy. If you "care not what her proclivities are", then why do you post an article about her sexual orientation?

If the purpose of this is nothing more than "Aaron hates Republicans", believe me, we all knew that. Or maybe you just have a tabloid mentality. Regardless, no opinions have been swayed because of this, and the article is not even interesting. FUA may have pumped his fist and said "YES!". If that is of value to you, then congratulations.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 10:30 am
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38581 wrote:
I am not asking you to speculate. I am asking you to give me some facts. Quote an anti-gay statement that Rice has made. Give us something concrete here. Maybe she has made one, but I cannot imagine why you would omit it.

Give a little more credit to those reading your post - the attack is clearly on Condoleeza Rice. And you have NOTHING to back up your claim of her hypocrisy. If you "care not what her proclivities are", then why do you post an article about her sexual orientation?

If the purpose of this is nothing more than "Aaron hates Republicans", believe me, we all knew that. Or maybe you just have a tabloid mentality. Regardless, no opinions have been swayed because of this, and the article is not even interesting. FUA may have pumped his fist and said "YES!". If that is of value to you, then congratulations.

Zoom, over your head. The hypocrisy lies less with Condie Rice, than it does with the entire Republican party/Ultra-right-wing conservative mindset/Christian Right/Moral Majority nut cases.
If Condie Rice is indeed a lesbian, as the piece suggests, then perhaps she feels she must live a double life, because of her party's hard core, inflexible stance against homosexuality...which is sad. She has to tote the party line, while lying about who she really is , and what she's really about....because if they knew...she'd hardly be Sec. of State....she'd hardly be a maid, making the beds in the bedrooms of the White House....background checks, you know.
No, the hypocrisy lies with the party stance......gays are everywhere, in high places, in low places, in the clergy, in the military..some are lawyers, some are bankers, some are Indian chiefs...if you get my point. For the party to discriminate against bona fide members of the party is the height of hypocrisy, and the ultimate insult.
Neanderthals.
crackface mcgee

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 11:57 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;38594 wrote:
Zoom, over your head. The hypocrisy lies less with Condie Rice, than it does with the entire Republican party/Ultra-right-wing conservative mindset/Christian Right/Moral Majority nut cases.
If Condie Rice is indeed a lesbian, as the piece suggests, then perhaps she feels she must live a double life, because of her party's hard core, inflexible stance against homosexuality...which is sad. She has to tote the party line, while lying about who she really is , and what she's really about....because if they knew...she'd hardly be Sec. of State....she'd hardly be a maid, making the beds in the bedrooms of the White House....background checks, you know.
No, the hypocrisy lies with the party stance......gays are everywhere, in high places, in low places, in the clergy, in the military..some are lawyers, some are bankers, some are Indian chiefs...if you get my point. For the party to discriminate against bona fide members of the party is the height of hypocrisy, and the ultimate insult.
Neanderthals.

Opinions....propaganda.
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 01:27 pm
@crackface mcgee,
crackface_mcgee;38596 wrote:
Opinions....propaganda.

Whatever!
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 03:04 pm
@Red cv,
Red;38543 wrote:

Oh REALLY???

Want some examples of the "original members" decorum? :eek:
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2007 03:22 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;38604 wrote:
Oh REALLY???

Want some examples of the "original members" decorum? :eek:

Fed Up,
I'm here to testify.....they almost drove me to tears...until I woke up, and realized, I had to "man up", and fight them back, with my intellect and my way with language. As you can see, quite a number of them, backed the hell up.
And contrary to popular belief, I'm not even like that...i hate to fight...in my circles, I'm known as a mediator. But these folks could turn Shirley Temple into a banshee.
I dare anyone to go back through the threads and just see the hate and the vitriol...there are some black hearts in here. Some even profess to be Christian...and Christ, himself, no doubt, would cast them into the fire....I might not be far behind..but I wouldn't be first. (before y'all go there...
It's a g.d. forum....state your convictions...state why you believe the way that you do....but I'll be g.d. if you ought to be in the business of telling other folk how to be...when your a.. is a sinner, just like me. (smoke comes out of ears)