study shows felons are smarter than liberals

Reagaknight

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:06 pm
@oleo,
oleo wrote:
I shouldn't have told you "screw you," I apologize... that was very MSNBC of me.

You got th news channels wrong, but I fixed it. Smile

Your welcome.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 14 Jul, 2007 10:00 am
@oleo,
oleo;26373 wrote:
I shouldn't have told you "screw you," I apologize... that was very FOX News of me.

You just went up 10 points in my book. But, being the iconoclastic sort, you likely do not care one way or the other. In any event, it was proper.
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 06:54 pm
@socalgolfguy,
I wonder how income/poverty ties into it. It's no secret that more poor people are in jail, and more poor people vote democratic. Just because there's a trend doesn't mean there's a cause-effect relationship.
socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 09:14 am
@socalgolfguy,
No one is claiming cause-effect. It is simply a fact that felons favor the liberal perspective, since they seem to show more comfort to the thugs than the conservatives who prefer them incarcerated.
Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 02:35 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27065 wrote:
No one is claiming cause-effect. It is simply a fact that felons favor the liberal perspective, since they seem to show more comfort to the thugs than the conservatives who prefer them incarcerated.

That's claiming a cause-effect relationship. :p
92b16vx

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:42 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;26271 wrote:
I think it's illegal to posess drugs not to do them?

HOw exactly are you going to do a drug unless you take possesion of it? "Hey, throw some coke up my nose so I don't have possesion!!"
Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 03:47 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;27130 wrote:
HOw exactly are you going to do a drug unless you take possesion of it? "Hey, throw some coke up my nose so I don't have possesion!!"

Well, how far do we take this? I have lots of serotonin and opiates already coursing through my bloodstream. In certain forms, both are illegal drugs. If the cocaine has been absorbed by the body, the no, you don't really have possession of cocaine, but rather, of it's constituent parts.
92b16vx

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:04 pm
@Arterion,
Arterion;27134 wrote:
Well, how far do we take this? I have lots of serotonin and opiates already coursing through my bloodstream. In certain forms, both are illegal drugs. If the cocaine has been absorbed by the body, the no, you don't really have possession of cocaine, but rather, of it's constituent parts.

You had to have possession of it to introduce it into your blood stream. No one is calling your bodies natural chemical responses illegal drugs, or drugs prescribed to you.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 04:57 pm
@Arterion,
Arterion;27099 wrote:
That's claiming a cause-effect relationship. :p

No, it's like choosing your mother over your father.
Arterion

Reply Thu 19 Jul, 2007 10:05 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27150 wrote:
No, it's like choosing your mother over your father.

That doesn't even make sense.
?

Saying "more felons are democrats because xxxxxxx" is establishing a cause-effect relationship. I'm saying, if it's even true (Ann Coulter lies more often than Bush -- a feat in itself), that it could be for some other reason. e.g. Poor people are mostly democratic. Poor people make up most of the prison population, thus, poverty is to blame, not political bent.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:47 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27034 wrote:
I wonder how income/poverty ties into it. It's no secret that more poor people are in jail, and more poor people vote democratic. Just because there's a trend doesn't mean there's a cause-effect relationship.

Doesn't mean there isn't, but trends are trends. Cause and effect will follow the example given not the opposite.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27180 wrote:
That doesn't even make sense.
?

Saying "more felons are democrats because xxxxxxx" is establishing a cause-effect relationship. I'm saying, if it's even true (Ann Coulter lies more often than Bush -- a feat in itself), that it could be for some other reason. e.g. Poor people are mostly democratic. Poor people make up most of the prison population, thus, poverty is to blame, not political bent.

No, poverty is not to blame. If that were true all poor people would be criminals.

When you were little, did your mother coddle you when you were sad..? And did you father not tell you to get off your ass and accomplish something..? Well, the libs mother the weak while the repubs want them to accomplish something useful.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 11:38 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27222 wrote:
No, poverty is not to blame. If that were true all poor people would be criminals.

When you were little, did your mother coddle you when you were sad..? And did you father not tell you to get off your ass and accomplish something..? Well, the libs mother the weak while the repubs want them to accomplish something useful.

your right ian,not all poor people are criminals,but if you are from a poor background,you probably stay in a deprived area,where schools are not as good,and gangs and drugs are rife,living in a better area and going to better schools,certainly does help,as for the libs are weak and repubs wanting to accomplish something useful,thats another sweeping generalisation,clinton,obama and edwards are all wealthy,and would be better of under the republicans,tax wise,but are willing to pay more for others benefit.
Arterion

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 06:55 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27222 wrote:

The absolute absurdity and wrongness of that statement just baffles me.

Just because there's a cause-effect relationship between two things doesn't mean one thing will ALWAYS follow another thing. It can just make it much more likely. Let's try the "logic" elsewhere:

No, <something> is not to blame. If that were true all <something> people would be <something_else>.

No, unprotected sex is not to blame. If that were true, all people who have unprotected sex would have HIV.

No, coffee is not to blame. If that were true, all coffee drinkers would be unable to fall asleep.

Poverty IS to blame for most violent crimes. Seriously. There have been studies proving this. Many, many studies.

Poverty, Income Inequality, and Violent Crime: A Meta-Analysis of Recent Aggregate Data Studies -- Hsieh and Pugh 18 (2): 182 -- Criminal Justice Review

Critical Thinking 101 is in order, I think.
Drnaline

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;27227 wrote:
your right ian,not all poor people are criminals,but if you are from a poor background,you probably stay in a deprived area,where schools are not as good,and gangs and drugs are rife,living in a better area and going to better schools,certainly does help,as for the libs are weak and repubs wanting to accomplish something useful,thats another sweeping generalisation,clinton,obama and edwards are all wealthy,and would be better of under the republicans,tax wise,but are willing to pay more for others benefit.
Quote:
thats another sweeping generalisation,clinton,obama and edwards are all wealthy,and would be better of under the republicans,tax wise,but are willing to pay more for others benefit.
Talk about another sweeping generalization?
socalgolfguy

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 11:29 am
@Arterion,
Arterion;27276 wrote:
The absolute absurdity and wrongness of that statement just baffles me.

Just because there's a cause-effect relationship between two things doesn't mean one thing will ALWAYS follow another thing. It can just make it much more likely. Let's try the "logic" elsewhere:

No, <something> is not to blame. If that were true all <something> people would be <something_else>.

No, unprotected sex is not to blame. If that were true, all people who have unprotected sex would have HIV.

No, coffee is not to blame. If that were true, all coffee drinkers would be unable to fall asleep.

Poverty IS to blame for most violent crimes. Seriously. There have been studies proving this. Many, many studies.

Poverty, Income Inequality, and Violent Crime: A Meta-Analysis of Recent Aggregate Data Studies -- Hsieh and Pugh 18 (2): 182 -- Criminal Justice Review

Critical Thinking 101 is in order, I think.

Criminals are responsible for crime.

Do you think guns are to blame for shooting deaths, too?
scooby-doo cv

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 10:27 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;27343 wrote:
Talk about another sweeping generalization?

would they not be better off,under the republicans tax/wise ?
0 Replies

Arterion

Reply Sun 22 Jul, 2007 09:50 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;27346 wrote:
Criminals are responsible for crime.

Do you think guns are to blame for shooting deaths, too?

By your logic above, death would be to blame for shooting deaths.
socalgolfguy

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 03:55 pm
@Arterion,
Arterion;27489 wrote:
By your logic above, death would be to blame for shooting deaths.

I appreciate that you are quite clever, but the fact remains that criminals cause crime, not poverty. My family two genrations ago were dirt poor but completely honest. To say that they would become criminals due to their situation is arrogant even for a big city intellectual. You also know very well that weapons are useless without the proper curcimstances in place for humankind to employ them.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 06:35 pm
@socalgolfguy,
Well said Socal, Arterion?
0 Replies