REUNITED: Pseudo-Democracy and Media Control

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 09:16 am
STORY 1

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- The Iraqi Governing Council announced a timetable Monday to select a provisional legislative body by the end of May and a provisional Iraqi government "no later than the end of June."

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/meast/11/24/sprj.irq.main/index.html

STORY 2

The chief editor of al-Arabiya satellite channel has rejected charges that the station incited murder by airing a Saddam Hussein tape calling for attacks on Iraqi officials.

Salah Negm branded "unfair" the US-installed Iraqi Governing Council's Monday decision to ban the Arabic-language broadcaster from working in Iraq for an unspecified period of time.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/DEAA1AC4-1E6C-4390-AB37-8162012BAC3C.htm

So there you have it folks. Just in time for the installation of democracy in Iraq: both major Arab media outlets have been banned. Imagine if the CBC was banned in Canada. Think about it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 714 • Replies: 7
No top replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Thu 4 Dec, 2003 12:03 pm
Dear Bugger20,

May I ask you to give a list of conduct of media that justifies ban.Because,I feel that the ban is justified.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 06:56 am
Videos of Osama
They show them on all the news stations in the USA. Are those stations going to be banned tto?
0 Replies

K VEE SHANKER

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 08:28 am
Re: Videos of Osama
pistoff wrote:
They show them on all the news stations in the USA. Are those stations going to be banned tto?

Your reply implies that they are only settling some old score.Agreeing that none should be singled out amongst a bunch, the basic question remains that should not anyone be responsible in their business?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:22 am
Let's see now -- we are attempting to impose democracy on Iraq -- which is a joke in any case -- and our beginnings include:

Banning certain media...

...and refusing to allow open elections of leadership because we don't like the people we think will get elected.

Hey...the war was started by a moron. You gotta expect moronic turns of events.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:36 pm
democracy?
Rolling Eyes

This reminds me of a statement by Ford. "The people can chose any color of my car as long as it is black."
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 05:39 pm
Unfortuntely, Pistoff, it reminds me of something a bit less benign.

It reminds me of the mentality during the Vietnam years of: "We are gonna save these people from communism if we hafta kill every goddam one of 'em."
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 5 Dec, 2003 09:06 pm
Those people.
I always like statements that start off with "you people" or " those people". Let's face it, Iraqis are as expendibable as poor folk in the USA. Iraq needs property for the Multi-corps and those people are takiing up way too much land space. Let the Military do some pacification of the territory and have some land clearance. Send as many as possible to Allaha to be sorted, eh. The less the population knows the better.
0 Replies