"Operation Iraqi Freedom" Vs. WWII

klyph

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 05:28 pm
In the news recently there was a controversy about estimates that we will have spent 2.4 trillion dollars on the Iraq war before it's over. I did some research into WW2 and found one estimate that stated in today's dollars, America spent about 3 trillion total.
Obviously this perplexed me how we can have spent nearly the same amount on two conflicts whose scale was so obviously disproportionate.

The purpose of this thread was to entertain anyone's thoughts/opinions on this subject and if you've done more in depth research, or found better sources to post them up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,681 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44451 wrote:
In the news recently there was a controversy about estimates that we will have spent 2.4 trillion dollars on the Iraq war before it's over. I did some research into WW2 and found one estimate that stated in today's dollars, America spent about 3 trillion total.
Obviously this perplexed me how we can have spent nearly the same amount on two conflicts whose scale was so obviously disproportionate.

The purpose of this thread was to entertain anyone's thoughts/opinions on this subject and if you've done more in depth research, or found better sources to post them up.

Your analysis is interesting, but a bit skewed. Consider VIETNAM, its cost in life and treasure, duration, outcome for the US, and outcome for the Vietnamese who helped America. Counter-insurgencies are costly, unpopular, and indecisive. Yet they must be fought, from time to time.
klyph

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:41 pm
@klyph,
I understand that it is expensive, but how have we spent so much on a conflict against one country that has neither an organized military nor an established infrastructure remotely comparable to the forces we fought in WW2? It doesn't add up for me. Where is all the money going?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:48 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44529 wrote:
I understand that it is expensive, but how have we spent so much on a conflict against one country that has neither an organized military nor an established infrastructure remotely comparable to the forces we fought in WW2? It doesn't add up for me. Where is all the money going?

Technology, we didn't have those big expensive missiles and stealth jets and satelite equipment back in WWII.....
klyph

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:52 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44532 wrote:
Technology, we didn't have those big expensive missiles and stealth jets and satelite equipment back in WWII.....

I find this argument illogical. If anything, technology should be making our war effort more streamlined and efficient.
Does it cost more to send a stealth bomber loaded with armaments to strike a target today than it did back in the 40's to organize an entire regiment of soldiers/tanks/support aircraft to launch the same level of assault?

I don't think that theory explains it at all.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:06 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44534 wrote:

Does it cost more to send a stealth bomber loaded with armaments to strike a target today than it did back in the 40's to organize an entire regiment of soldiers/tanks/support aircraft to launch the same level of assault?

You no idea how expensive those stealth bombs cost, also consider that gas is more expensive and each soldier is equiped with more expensive equipment like night vision alone is more expensive than all of the gear of a WWII soldier combined... the soldiers of WWII went into war with the bare minimum
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:15 pm
@klyph,
But the cost of transporting and outfitting an entire regimen, compared to firing a cruise missile?

I dunno, doesn't seem proportional in the way your describing it. How can you so easily accept the fact that a "conflict" against ONE country which doesn't even possess a respectable military can compare to a WORLD WAR? I don't see it.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:19 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44545 wrote:
But the cost of transporting and outfitting an entire regimen, compared to firing a cruise missile?

I dunno, doesn't seem proportional in the way your describing it. How can you so easily accept the fact that a "conflict" against ONE country which doesn't even possess a respectable military can compare to a WORLD WAR? I don't see it.

war is more expensive today:
guns are more expensive, uniforms are more expensive, vehicles are more expensive, fuel is more expensive, ships are more expensive, planes are more expensive, soldier pay is more expensive, misslies and bombs are more expensive, equipment is more expensive, food is more expensive etc....
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 10:22 pm
@klyph,
I did factor inflation :dunno:

Do you think it's acceptable that:
Quote:
a "conflict" against ONE country which doesn't even possess a respectable military can compare to a WORLD WAR?

Even if it IS significantly more expensive, the scale of those two conflicts is hardly comparable, save the apparent cost to execute.
rugonnacry

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:35 am
@klyph,
klyph;44549 wrote:
I did factor inflation :dunno:

Do you think it's acceptable that:

Even if it IS significantly more expensive, the scale of those two conflicts is hardly comparable, save the apparent cost to execute.

Negative, because costs are also in the rebuilding and the training. But lets skip that argument...
0 Replies

xjohnx

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 11:35 am
@klyph,
klyph;44529 wrote:

Private civilian contractors. We are spending billions a day paying them to do the exact same thing that in the past the military would do themselves.
klyph

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
@klyph,
I don't think anyone can deny that there is a shameless squandering of our resources happening. There can be a million reasons (there probably are) of WHY all this money is being spent, but the fact remains that we are destroying our economy to force our government system on a people who don't want it, nor deserve it.

The question stands, WHY? why did we spend this much? What have we accomplished?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:52 pm
@klyph,
klyph;44529 wrote:

It's a counter-insurgency. THEY ARE ALL MESSY. And they've been fought almost since the beginning of human history. :dunno:
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:55 pm
@xjohnx,
xjohnx;44586 wrote:
Private civilian contractors. We are spending billions a day paying them to do the exact same thing that in the past the military would do themselves.

Wrong. The job of the soldier is to fight, not hand out towels at the facility gym or book aircraft flights for TDY trips. But....you have a point. Government contracts are usually almost fraudulent. Contractors rip off our government, which lives with its pants down around its ankles.
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 06:56 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;44650 wrote:
It's a counter-insurgency. THEY ARE ALL MESSY. And they've been fought almost since the beginning of human history. :dunno:

he was just saying that money was being wasted, i have no idea how what you just said has anything to do with what he was talking about!
Pinochet73

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 07:04 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;44653 wrote:
he was just saying that money was being wasted, i have no idea how what you just said has anything to do with what he was talking about!

Well then get a clue. Counter-insurgencies are hard to figure out. They perplex and frustrate. They leave observers constantly asking, "Why are we doing this? What is this war all about? Who is our enemy? On what are we spending our money? Why are we here? How can we get out? Who has a better plan? Are we right? Why? Why? Why? Why?" A counter-insurgency is the nasty, dirty war nobody wants. PERIOD.
0 Replies

rugonnacry

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:04 pm
@klyph,
Can we stop calling the insurgents? WE are the insurgents you goofy little monkeys
RedOct

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:40 pm
@rugonnacry,
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 07:48 pm
@RedOct,
RedOct;44739 wrote:

is that including inflation?

5.4 billion in 1945 is not that same as 5.4 billion today!
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 08:16 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;44458 wrote:
Your analysis is interesting, but a bit skewed. Consider VIETNAM, its cost in life and treasure, duration, outcome for the US, and outcome for the Vietnamese who helped America. Counter-insurgencies are costly, unpopular, and indecisive. Yet they must be fought, from time to time.

Iraq isn't a counter-insurgency. There was no insurgency going on that we went to quill, WE STARTED IT!!!