Obama: Quoted 10/27/2007

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:22 am
If reality inconveniences your opinion, you change your opinion. You do not disregard reality.

Remember Sesame Street? "One of these things is doin it's own thing..."

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/Silverchild79/barrackflag.jpg

According to the United States Code, Title 36,
Chapter 10, Sec.

During rendition of the national anthem when the
flag is displayed, all present
except those in uniform are expected to stand at
attention facing the flag
with the right hand over the heart.

'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said.

'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message.

You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose.

I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'

Barrack Obama
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,397 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:47 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;57922 wrote:
If reality inconveniences your opinion, you change your opinion. You do not disregard reality.

Remember Sesame Street? "One of these things is doin it's own thing..."

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c174/Silverchild79/barrackflag.jpg

Scraping the bottom of that barrel.

Quote:
According to the United States Code, Title 36,
Chapter 10, Sec.

During rendition of the national anthem when the
flag is displayed, all present
except those in uniform are expected to stand at
attention facing the flag
with the right hand over the heart.

Since when has the Right cared about US code? Eight years of violating federal code makes that sound hypocritical.

Also "expected" is not compulsory. Do I put my hand over my heart? No. But I do stand and face Old Glory.

Quote:
'As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides,' Obama said.

Flag pin. Most important thing in the world. Only atheists and terrorists don't wear one. /foxnews

Quote:
'There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message.

He's speaking truth. The Flag IS seen as oppressive to some people and the anthem WAS written during a war... literally.

Quote:
You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose.

Personal opinion. Nothing more.

Quote:
I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it.'[/I]

First off, those that are not servicemen do not salute the flag during the Anthem (duh, you know this). Secondly, I'd be saluting if the Anthem were 'More Human than Human'.

And headbanging.

Quote:
Barrack Obama

Spelled it wrong.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:49 am
@Silverchild79,
To the meat of the argument:

snopes.com: Barack Obama and the National Anthem
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 12:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
Why do you keep defending him, I could post a picture of him killing a baby and you'd claim he's just pro choice

Here's a man who wants to be our president but refuses to pay proper respect to our flag because he's afraid how it will be viewed by people in other countries, where are his priorities? Apparently he cares more about what people in the Middle East think about him respecting the flag then he cares about what people in American think about him in Muslim garb.

If he loved this country as much as the Democratic party would have us believe he would stand in solemn respect during flag ceremonies and then when the last note has sounded he can go to work, doing what he feels needs to be done to change the opinion of other countries toward our national imagery.

3rd party perceptions should never mold the loyalties of Americans nor their leaders. Obama should know that the "Bombs in the Air" referenced in the anthem refer to our own struggle for liberty, and no other conflict.

As a veteran I know this, I expect voters to know this (you apparently don't), and I certainly expect my president to understand this and support it.

Respect paid to the flag itself is done for one reason. It has nothing to do with 50 stars and 13 stripes and red states or blue states. In six years of military service I was only given one reason for paying respect to the flag.

The respect directed to the flag is not about the flag, it is in fact respect directed toward men and women who have died in the line of duty, combat or non combat, over the history of our country. From 1776 to 2008, when you stand and place your hand over your heart you pay your respects to the people who died in service of the country, regardless of the political integrity behind the original conflicts.

I have no respect for any American who will not do this, even less for someone who's running for president and doesn't understand what the ceremony embodies. There's no opinion to be found here, that's what the ceremony is about, by design, end of story, goodnight. If it's taken a different way by anybody it's out of ignorance.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:28 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;57926 wrote:
Why do you keep defending him, I could post a picture of him killing a baby and you'd claim he's just pro choice

Because I am not swayed by the Right-wing superficial crap. Aww, he didn't put his hand over his heart, that doesn't mean he's gonna tear the flag down and piss on it! But, of course, that's the reason for all these mindless postings.

McCain Asks Supporters to Invade Liberal Blogs, But Few Respond | Threat Level from Wired.com

Isn't there Smile

I wonder how you can defend a president that killed thousands in an illicit war AND continues to violate federal law.

Quote:
Here's a man who wants to be our president but refuses to pay proper respect to our flag because he's afraid how it will be viewed by people in other countries, where are his priorities? Apparently he cares more about what people in the Middle East think about him respecting the flag then he cares about what people in American think about him in Muslim garb.

We see how America has taken to his "Muslim garb".

Quote:
If he loved this country as much as the Democratic party would have us believe he would stand in solemn respect during flag ceremonies and then when the last note has sounded he can go to work, doing what he feels needs to be done to change the opinion of other countries toward our national imagery.

The ol Patriotism curveball. Worked for Kerry and the medals. "OMG HE HATEZ THE COUNTRYZ!!!!!!" Typical. Superficial. Rightwing. Bullshit.

Quote:
3rd party perceptions should never mold the loyalties of Americans nor their leaders. Obama should know that the "Bombs in the Air" referenced in the anthem refer to our own struggle for liberty, and no other conflict.

As a veteran I know this, I expect voters to know this (you apparently don't), and I certainly expect my president to understand this and support it.

I know quite well what the Anthem stands for, TYVM.

Quote:
Respect paid to the flag itself is done for one reason. It has nothing to do with 50 stars and 13 stripes and red states or blue states. In six years of military service I was only given one reason for paying respect to the flag.

The respect directed to the flag is not about the flag, it is in fact respect directed toward men and women who have died in the line of duty, combat or non combat, over the history of our country. From 1776 to 2008, when you stand and place your hand over your heart you pay your respects to the people who died in service of the country, regardless of the political integrity behind the original conflicts.

And you don't call sending our men and women to die in an illicit war disrespect?

Quote:
I have no respect for any American who will not do this, even less for someone who's running for president and doesn't understand what the ceremony embodies. There's no opinion to be found here, that's what the ceremony is about, by design, end of story, goodnight. If it's taken a different way by anybody it's out of ignorance.

But you respect someone who squanders the freedoms those servicemen fought for?
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:52 pm
@Silverchild79,
"Modern custom does not require a hand over the heart, said Anne Garside, director of communication for the Maryland Historical Society, home of the original manuscript of The Star-Spangled Banner."

"I think the bottom line is that you show respect with your demeanor," she said. "Whether you put your hand over your heart, hold your hat at shoulder level or waist level, is really in this day and age irrelevant."

But THIS is the good part!!!!!!

Back in October 2007, one of the hottest e-mail forwards was a picture capturing Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama standing in front of a (at an Iowa political event) with his hands clasped in front of him during the playing of the U.S. national anthem (while other persons on the platform with him stood with their hands placed over their hearts). This photographic brouhaha soon mutated into a (false) claim that Barack Obama "refused to put his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance" and then into the (even more false) claim that "he refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance" at all (rumors which the Obama campaign soon provided evidence to negate).

While this controversy was all the rage on the Internet, political columnist John Semmens included a bit at the end of one of his satirical "Semi-News" columns (found on the web site of The Arizona Conservative) offering a mock explanation from the Senator about his non-hand-over-heart stance, poking fun at Obama by having him voice the opinion that "the American flag is a symbol of oppression" and that the U.S. national anthem is too "bellicose" and should be replaced by something gentler like "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing."

This bit of satire evidently came off as too believable to some readers, as it has since been excerpted from Semmens' column and forwarded via e-mail (without attribution) as a genuine statement from Senator Obama. However topical it might be, it's just a bit of political commentary-cum-humor, though, not the Senator's own words.

SOURCE: snopes.com: Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

http://www.danielmountain.com/liveleak/2005/jan/buzzsaw_files/sheeple.jpg
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 01:57 pm
@Silverchild79,
Original satire article: John Semmens118

Becuse any articles that include "To monitor compliance, the City says it will deploy a cadre of obese inspectors who will attempt to order high calorie meals at eateries around the city. “Any waiter that doesn’t spend at least five minutes trying to talk one of our inspectors out of his bad choice will be issued a citation,” Bloomberg explained. The fine for a first offense is $500." MUST be real!

Whaddaya expect guys, these people still think he's a Muslim.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 02:03 pm
@Silverchild79,
I'm not slinging right wing spin

go back and look at the original post in this thiread

I put a picture of Barack Obama during the national anthem up, and a quote of him explaining himself. Which you took offense too, when reality becomes offensive your aren't spending enough time in it my friend.

I don't follow conservative blogs or other crap, I watch the news, read the paper, form my own opinions. I love my country and I'm fiercely loyal and I act like it

no ammount of "But but, W did this, W did that!" you can post will detract from the fact that Barack Obama flatly isn't loyal to the country he's running for the presidency of.
Sabz5150

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2008 03:11 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;57930 wrote:

I put a picture of Barack Obama during the national anthem up, and a quote of him explaining himself. Which you took offense too, when reality becomes offensive your aren't spending enough time in it my friend.

it's just a bit of political commentary-cum-humor, though, not the Senator's own words

though, not the Senator's own words

not the Senator's own words

Check the above links. What you are posting has been falsified by many different sources. I even posted the satire!

This photographic brouhaha soon mutated into a (false) claim that Barack Obama "refused to put his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance"

a (false) claim that Barack Obama "refused to put his hand over his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance"

a (false) claim

Quote:
I don't follow conservative blogs or other crap, I watch the news, read the paper, form my own opinions. I love my country and I'm fiercely loyal and I act like it

By posting spun satire that, OMG!, wound up being passed through conservative blogs and email VER-F*CK-BATIM.

Quote:
no ammount of "But but, W did this, W did that!" you can post will detract from the fact that Barack Obama flatly isn't loyal to the country he's running for the presidency of.

I don't define loyalty by lapel pins, hand placement or any other superficial means. I'm sorry that you do.
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 04:51 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;57930 wrote:

Does wrapping yourself in the Stars & stripes and singing the national anthem make you a good president ? "barack obama isn't loyal too the country he's running for the presidency of " Why is he running then ?
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 08:46 pm
@Silverchild79,
yeah, so? Is this the best you can come up with?

[SIZE="5"]OH mY GoD hE ISnT WEaRiNG A PIn!?!!![/SIZE] :spaz:
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2008 05:56 pm
@Silverchild79,
I noticed that Obama DID sing along with the anthem, I have no problem with him not placing his hand over his heart. Did you notice the man on the far right in the video looks like he didn't have his hand over his heart either?
Maybe they were protesting the terrible rendition of the anthem by the singer?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 03:55 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Actually i don't believe it was the national anthem they were playing it was the star spangled banner.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 09:25 am
@Silverchild79,
No need, the entire thing is a sham. Satire turned false rumor a'la conservative!

http://imagechan.com/images/busted.jpeg
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 10:11 am
@Silverchild79,
Because I like to kill things until they are sufficiently dead...

Obama Nabbed by the Patriot Police - Fact Checker
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 06:24 pm
@Sabz5150,
A few more myths debunked....this is what happens when you take these rogue E-Mails seriously.

Fight the Smears | The truth about Barack Obama's faith

Fight the Smears | The truth about Michelle

Fight the Smears | Barack Obama Loves His Flag and His Country
0 Replies