Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 873 • Replies: 9
No top replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:13 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;49589 wrote:
And there's a phone tap to prove it

Pakistan: Al-Qaida behind Bhutto killing - Yahoo! News

Al Queda also have links within the pakistani army,and have done for years.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 01:47 pm
@Silverchild79,
all the more reason to be alarmed and push for reform
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:12 pm
@Silverchild79,
Back Musharaff all the way. Give him whatever he needs to SIT ON THAT MESS OF A COUNTRY called Pakistan. In return, leverage permission for cross-border attacks from Afghanistan, pursuant to catching OBL and the rest of AQ.
g-man

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 09:51 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;49660 wrote:
Back Musharaff all the way. Give him whatever he needs to SIT ON THAT MESS OF A COUNTRY called Pakistan. In return, leverage permission for cross-border attacks from Afghanistan, pursuant to catching OBL and the rest of AQ.

In most issues that I have read your post Pinochet, I agree with you. I love the pursuit of Democracy. I want to disagree with your here. But in Pakistan it would take raw power to maintain any stable government. So, I must once again agree with your assessment lest anarchy reign. Which would best serve Al Queda.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2007 10:30 am
@g-man,
g-man;49666 wrote:
In most issues that I have read your post Pinochet, I agree with you. I love the pursuit of Democracy. I want to disagree with your here. But in Pakistan it would take raw power to maintain any stable government. So, I must once again agree with your assessment lest anarchy reign. Which would best serve Al Queda.

In a lot of ways, Saddam's raw power kept a lid on this stuff in Iraq. We can see now that the only effective way to keep a hold on those regions is sheer power.

Sheer power =! Democracy

Hence the big problem.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:25 am
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;49679 wrote:
In a lot of ways, Saddam's raw power kept a lid on this stuff in Iraq. We can see now that the only effective way to keep a hold on those regions is sheer power.

Sheer power =! Democracy

Hence the big problem.

Right. The only solution to Iraq is another dictator.
Sabz5150

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 04:49 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;49722 wrote:
Right. The only solution to Iraq is another dictator.

Unfortunately that is 100% counter-productive in our current situation. I was under the impression that the whole "war on terror" was to eliminate the terrorists and spread freedom.

Installing another iron fisted dictator does none of these.

It's a double edged sword, and an EXTREMELY sharp one at that. You keep a lid on the nutcases, but at the expense of freedom of the people.

Democracy will NEVER stand for that. Every time we've installed a dictator, we've had to take him down for whatever reason. Saddam Hussein, the Ayatollah of Iran, these are examples of our botched attempts to both contain and control a portion of the world. Federal training of Osama Bin Laden to fight the Russians is another big one.

The funniest thing is that the guys that installed these bastards are the ones now dealing with them.

And at the bottom of the brick, the people under these dictators see a corrupt government propped up by America, as long as that government does what we say. If they don't, we bomb the bejesus out of them (the people AND government), and install another corrupt government.

*THIS* creates the issue we have right now.
Pinochet73

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:30 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;49679 wrote:

Sheer power =! Democracy

Hence the big problem.

Exactly. They only understand power. They respect only what they fear, which is indicative of a horribly primitive mindset. They're not ready or possibly even suited for democracy.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 07:32 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;50040 wrote:
Unfortunately that is 100% counter-productive in our current situation. I was under the impression that the whole "war on terror" was to eliminate the terrorists and spread freedom.

Installing another iron fisted dictator does none of these.

It's a double edged sword, and an EXTREMELY sharp one at that. You keep a lid on the nutcases, but at the expense of freedom of the people.

Democracy will NEVER stand for that. Every time we've installed a dictator, we've had to take him down for whatever reason. Saddam Hussein, the Ayatollah of Iran, these are examples of our botched attempts to both contain and control a portion of the world. Federal training of Osama Bin Laden to fight the Russians is another big one.

The funniest thing is that the guys that installed these bastards are the ones now dealing with them.

And at the bottom of the brick, the people under these dictators see a corrupt government propped up by America, as long as that government does what we say. If they don't, we bomb the bejesus out of them (the people AND government), and install another corrupt government.

*THIS* creates the issue we have right now.

Right. The alternatives are far worse for the U.S., however, which is all I really care about. The Muslim world is irreparable. Sorry.
0 Replies