patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 09:50 am
Ay, sperm whale fat we ate, matey, fried in, fried in... more sperm whale fat.

(Actually, no, sorry. But I've been surrounded by it in Seattle and Madison... Whale actually was considered an excellent Friday option for some time, as it was considered a fish. Good business for the Basques, who made excellent whaling boats...)
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 03:57 pm
That's one of the reasons whale is popular in Japan. The Buddhist population isn't supposed to eat meat, but fish is OK, and whales are considered fish.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 05:56 pm
Resurrecting this thread by adding as a post script - I do love eating fish now, preferably local fresh out of the sea fish (too bad I live where I do - only one place I've been to understands how to prepare fish). I didn't really learn to love fish until Harvey, a teacher of my husband and friend of both of ours, served us different correctly cooked fish or shellfish at his house for several dinners. That man really taught us how to eat, major connoisseur, so I always tried anything he served - and besides I was always helping him cook.
Really good swordfish, halibut, sole, shadroe, mussels on St. Pat's day... fresh salmon.
The only item I've improved on that I don't think he ever served was fresh wild northwest US salmon.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 15 Nov, 2008 06:42 pm
We had meatless Fridays when I was a kid but I think it was more about being economical than it was obeying the Pope.

My lifestyle has evolved to just the opposite now. I have meatless weeks and meat on Fridays, for pretty much the same reasons.

My brother and I still don't let my mom forget about some of her experimentations with meatless meals, the most infamous one being the tuna, noodle and peanut butter gravy casserole. She says she doesn't remember ever serving such a thing but if she had, it was in an effort to include some protein. I remember it! Shocked

She's a much much better cook now.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 02:05 am
@Butrflynet,
Fridays still is the traditional day for eating fish - even the mobile fishmongers from the North Sea make their inland tours on Thursdays/Friday mornings.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 06:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
One of the sub sandwich shops still does tuna specials on Friday. Other than that, you don't hear about meatless Fridays.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 06:29 am
@ehBeth,
It's not meatless in the restaurants - but they've got special fish dishes

http://i35.tinypic.com/ruy8a9.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/f36mg8.jpg

As a child, I liked to travel - even if it was just to the next town: travellers were allowed to eat meat then.
(Not that I disliked fish, quite the opposite. But it was something so unusual, special.)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:42 am
We also had fish sticks at school every Friday. All of my friends were Catholic. Most of them had fish for dinner or meatless spaghetti.

I remember Vatican II like it was yesterday. All of a sudden tradition was thrown out the window and a new world order was installed within Catholicism. Masses were in English, breakfast before mass on Sunday's was allowed (no more passing out in church from being too hungry), meat on Fridays... it was the first time I questioned dogma and faith. Who are these Cardinals? Who is the Pope?

I grew up in a mostly Catholic neighborhood. Until Vatican II I figured I must be missing out on something. I went to catechism with my friends once a week after school (there was nothing else to do on those days anyway). And then a bunch of old men sat in a room and decided that folks could in fact get into heaven if they ate a hamburger on Friday.

I didn't get it. I still don't get it. But that was the end of my journey towards Catholicism. It was the beginning of my journey towards a personal spirituality that has nothing to do with dogma. Heh - quite a response from a 9 year old kid but, yes, I remember fish on Fridays, msolga. I never did like fish sticks.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 09:55 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
the most infamous one being the tuna, noodle and peanut butter gravy casserole

she was ahead of her day there - that's a very thai-style combo

there's a very popular tinned tuna here that comes with a chili-peanut sauce. I stir it into rice noodles for a quick cheat on pad thai

of course, you've got to be quite careful about the balance of those flavours
ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:01 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I remember Vatican II like it was yesterday.

Me too, me too.. only I was twenty, and already mid-process in the questioning. It would take me a while since I wended my way theologically as well as by 'faith, yes or no', which ended up being a drop shot.

I wonder what it means....
I've been researching fish cake recipes lately..

I think that means I'm inquiring about how to eat more fish for the nutrition without more expense..

0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:15 am
@ehBeth,
remember a story from the "good old days :

the bishop visits a monastery on a friday and notices that roast goose is on the menu .
upon questioning , he is being told that the monks found the goose swimming in the pond ... and thought it was some kind of a fish .
hbg

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:26 am
@JPB,
Some fish-Latin:

Caviar emptor - beware of the fish.
Carp diem - seize the fish.
Veni, vidi, fishy - I came, I saw, I fished.
Cod erat demonstrandum - proving the fish.
Squid pro quo - done a fishy deal.
Tempus fish-it - time flies when you're fishing.
Prima fishy - first fish.

The custom of eating fish on Fridays reflects the Canon Law about the days of abstinence:
Quote:
Canon 1250 All Fridays through the year and the time of Lent are penitential days and times throughout the entire Church.

Canon 1251 Abstinence from eating meat or another food according to the prescriptions of the conference of bishops is to be observed on Fridays throughout the year unless (nisi) they are solemnities; abstinence and fast are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and on the Friday of the Passion and Death of Our Lord Jesus Christ.

Canon 1252 All persons who have completed their fourteenth year are bound by the law of abstinence; all adults are bound by the law of fast up to the beginning of their sixtieth year. Nevertheless, pastors and parents are to see to it that minors who are not bound by the law of fast and abstinence are educated in an authentic sense of penance.

Canon 1253 It is for the conference of bishops to determine more precisely the observance of fast and abstinence and to substitute in whole or in part for fast and abstinence other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety.

It really is and was more a question of local/regional/national tradition - and how it was decided locally, even before Vatican II (our vicar thaught it to be more a 'healthy' suggestion - and taught such).

The Second Vatican Council "legalised" these practises:
Quote:
The National Conference of Catholic Bishops in their pastoral statement of November 18, 1966 determined the
following:

Catholics in the United States are obliged to abstain from the eating of meat on Ash Wednesday and on all Fridays during the season of Lent. They are also obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and on Good Friday.
Self-imposed observance of fasting on all weekdays of Lent is strongly recommended. Abstinence from flesh meat on all Fridays of the year is especially recommended to individuals and to the Catholic community as a whole.

Source: (pdf-data) Diocese of San Diego
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:33 am
My only experience with meatless Friday was during my service on board a Navy destroyer. We had some sort of fish. I can't recall now, if there was an alternate dish, or if we had no choice at all. I enjoyed having fish as a break from the regular fare.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 10:43 am
@edgarblythe,
Friday was a meatless day on board, too - though there weren't a lot of Catholics (but mostly they complained about the fish).
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:07 am
We weren't Catholic but generally did observe mostly meatless Fridays at home just the same--probably because it was a good excuse to have fish which we all enjoyed. It became even more of a tradition after we incorporated Catholics into the family via marriage.

About those 'yucky' fish sticks of some years ago, we have discovered that Gorton's frozen crispy fishsticks heated 20 minutes in the oven (10 minutes to a side) are quite tasty as a quick no fuss entre. Add some ketchup, fruit, finger veggies and olives and it makes a great quick meal to share watching a great movie.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@Foxfyre,
Lots n lots of catsup. Wink
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 11:32 am
@edgarblythe,
Lust, Lies And Empire: The Fishy Tale Behind Eating Fish On Friday
April 6, 2012
by Maria Godoy - NPR

Did the pope really make a secret pact to sell more fish? No, but the real story of eating fish on Fridays is much more fantastical.

It sounds like the plot of a Dan Brown thriller: A powerful medieval pope makes a secret pact to prop up the fishing industry that ultimately alters global economics. The result: Millions of Catholics around the world end up eating fish on Fridays as part of a religious observance.

This "realpolitik" explanation of why Catholics eat fish on Friday has circulated for so long, many people grew up believing it as fact. Some, myself included, even learned it in Catholic school. It's a humdinger of a tale — the kind conspiracy theorists can really sink their teeth into. But is it true?

"Many people have searched the Vatican archives on this, but they have found nothing," says Brian Fagan, a professor emeritus of archaeology at the University of California, Santa Barbara, whose book, Fish On Friday, explores the impact of this practice on Western culture.

The real story behind fish on Fridays turns out to be much better.

Let's start with a quick lesson in theology: According to Christian teaching, Jesus died on a Friday, and his death redeemed a sinful world. People have written of fasting on Friday to commemorate this sacrifice as early as the first century.

Technically, it's the flesh of warmblooded animals that's off limits — an animal "that, in a sense, sacrificed its life for us, if you will," explains Michael Foley, an associate professor at Baylor University and author of Why Do Catholics Eat Fish On Friday?

Fish are coldblooded, so they're considered fair game. "If you were inclined to eat a reptile on Friday," Foley tells The Salt, "you could do that, too."

Alas, Christendom never really developed a hankering for snake. But fish — well, they'd been associated with sacred holidays even in pre-Christian times. And as the number of meatless days piled up on the medieval Christian calendar — not just Fridays but Wednesdays and Saturdays, Advent and Lent, and other holy days — the hunger for fish grew. Indeed, fish fasting days became central to the growth of the global fishing industry. But not because of a pope and his secret pact.

At first, says Fagan, Christians' religious appetite was largely met with herring, a fish that was plentiful but dry and tasteless when smoked or salted. And preservation was a must in medieval times: There was no good way for fresh fish to reach the devout masses. Eventually, cod became all the rage — it tasted better when cured and it lasted longer, too.

The Vikings were ace at preserving cod — they "used dried and salted cod as a form of beef jerky on their ocean passages," Fagan says. And the route the Vikings took at the end of the first millennium — Greenland, Iceland, Newfoundland — matches up with the natural range of the Atlantic cod.

It's possible that others may have followed the cod trail to Canada before Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Clues suggest that English fishermen from Bristol may have made the voyage by around 1480 but kept mum on the location lest the competition rush in. By some accounts, both Columbus and John Cabot had heard of these adventures when they set off on their own epic journeys west.

"Why do people go over the horizon?" Fagan says. "In the case of the North Atlantic after the Norse ... they went looking for cod" to satiate the demands of the faithful.

So that's the empire part of our tale. Funny enough, while the pope story is a fish tale, an official leader of the church did make fish fasting the law for purely practical reasons. For that story — and the lust our headline promised — we turn to a monarch known for his carnal cravings: Henry VIII.

By the time Henry ascended the throne in 1509, fish dominated the menu for a good part of the year. As one 15th century English schoolboy lamented in his notebook: "Though wyll not beleve how werey I am off fysshe, and how moch I desir to that flesch were cum in ageyn."

But after Henry became smitten with Anne Boleyn, English fish-eating took a nosedive. The king broke off from the Roman Catholic Church, declared himself the head of the Church of England and divorced his wife so he could marry Anne. Suddenly, eating fish had become political. Fish was seen as a " 'popish flesh' that lost favour as fast as Anglicism took root," as Kate Colquhoun recounts in her book Taste: The Story of Britain Through Its Cooking.

Fishermen were hurting. So much so that when Henry's young son, Edward VI, took over in 1547, fast days were reinstated by law — "for worldly and civil policy, to spare flesh, and use fish, for the benefit of the commonwealth, where many be fishers, and use the trade of living."

In fact, fish fasting remained surprisingly influential in global economics well into the 20th century.

As one economic analysis noted, U.S. fish prices plummeted soon after Pope Paul VI loosened fasting rules in the 1960s. The Friday meat ban, by the way, still applies to the 40 days of the Lenten fast, which ends this Saturday.

Also in the '60s, Lou Groen, an enterprising McDonald's franchise owner in a largely Catholic part of Cincinnati, found himself struggling to sell burgers on Fridays. His solution? The Filet-O-Fish.

While not exactly the miracle of loaves and fishes, Groen's little battered sandwich has fed millions around the world.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 09:06 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Quote:
The real story behind fish on Fridays turns out to be much better.

It does, BBB!
Thanks for posting that informative & entertaining article.

I just checked. Gosh, this thread was started in 20o3! Surprised
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 12:54 am
That dried cod fish is still exported from Norway to Italy, Spain and Portugal and is there a kind of a deli.
The Swedes and Norwegians have it for Christmas. So do many Americans. The are even pre Christmas parties where LUTEFISK is served in USA.
There are /were around 180 restaurants inMinnesota serving Lutefisk.
Why do we have it around Christmas? Advent used to be a fasten time.
saab

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 07:30 am
@saab,
Here the fish hangs to dry in Lofoten

http://www.svenskfisk.se/media/135115/lofoten_340x256.jpg