msolga

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 07:18 pm
All this has got me wondering:

Did any of you actually look forward to Friday dinner? Perhaps it was the best meal of the week? I know as a child I looked forward to the very rare treat of bought fish & chips. Yum! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 08:38 pm
White bread with Vegemite, stuffed with chips!

And fish fingers!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:04 pm
I love fish. Seafood. The whole family does/did. Aunt and cousins would visit on Friday for the weekly fish fry. No gripes from this end.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 10:45 pm
I am catholic and I loved the "fish" Fridays! If we didn't have any fish, we would have mashed potatoes with onion and eggs, yummmmmmmm!

.... the next best thing was the real "Fish 'n Chips" from the chipper, with the newspaper wrapping and malt vinegar!!! OMG!!! Awesome!!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:43 pm
margo wrote:
White bread with Vegemite, stuffed with chips!

And fish fingers!

Oh, yes! Very Happy Yum, yum! What a nosh up!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:45 pm
eoe

A thought: Do you think Fridays taught Catholics to love fast food, particularly fries? Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2003 11:48 pm
Misti

Sounds like you loved those feasts as a wee thing. But do you ever sneak one of those meals now, or are you too sensible by far? :wink:
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:19 am
I eat what I want when I want regardless of the day. I'm glad I never had any stupid rules like this forced on me.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:44 am
This confession bit really gets me. Galileo was imprisoned in his home for the last 8 years of his life by the Catholic church for having the audacity to say that the earth revolved around the sun. To this day, 361 years later, they have made no apology for their actions. But a catholic has an impure thought about someone on Saturday night, and Sunday morning their supposed to be begging for forgiveness for it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:52 am
she doesnt love u.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 01:24 am
We still do such at home. And in most 'popular' restaurants (self-services in department stores, for instance and 'old fashioned', 'old style'restaurants, you'll surely find more fish menus on Fridays.

(As a child, I always liked to go the next bigger town, make a journey otherwise or something similar on Fridays: you were allowed to eat meat then!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 02:58 am
Dear garlicqueen

Then the food obviously did wonders for you! It sounds so much more interesting than the nasty cutletty thingy I had every Friday! Yum, your mother was far more creative than mine on Fridays. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 02:59 am
Dear garlicqueen

Then the food obviously did wonders for you! It sounds so much more interesting than the nasty cutletty thingy I had every Friday! Yum, your mother was far more creative than mine on Fridays. Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 03:01 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
(As a child, I always liked to go the next bigger town, make a journey otherwise or something similar on Fridays: you were allowed to eat meat then!

Because no one could see you do it, Walter?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 09:23 am
No, some church laws said that travellers were allowed to eat meat - if I remember correctly.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 12:34 pm
I forgot salmon loaf. That was made with canned salmon and bread crumbs, I think, and egg...

And, msolga, I should say I know I am lucky to have had nutricious food and a good mother to make it for us.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 04:12 pm
As a kid, I hated meatless Fridays. Fish sticks were OK, but I hated everything else that my mother cooked on Fridays.

Osso, I remember the first pizza I had. it was a Chef Boyardee pizza mix that my older brothers made at home. They put no mozzerella cheese on it, just the awful Parmesan that came in the box. Oh, it was dreadful! Turned me off of pizza for a good long time. My older sisters discovered real Italian pizza when the got to high school and we would order delivery on Friday or Saturday nights after my parents went to bed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 05:04 pm
My first pizza - I went out after work with some friends to Piece O'Pizza in Santa Monica. That same meal was also where I had my first green salad. Salad at our house was jello...

Now I am a Very Picky Pizza Eating Person, prefer thin homemade crust (no preservative taste...), good ingredients on top, and not too many of them. <frowning, what a pizza snob I am>
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 25 Nov, 2003 06:30 pm
What a great line, ossobuco: "Salad at our house was jello." -rjb-
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 26 Nov, 2003 12:43 am
Well, my first pizza was - just being 10 years old - a total flop: our pancakes tasted better and our salad was (green) salad, not a mixture of everything. :wink:
0 Replies