Al Sharpton re-re-re-re-re-re loses his damn mind

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
I've decided I'll be holding off till the 2nd to make all my required early month purchases (food, monthly DVD purchase, ETC)

FOXNews.com - Economic Impact of Spending 'Blackout' Protesting Government and Hate Crimes Likely Minimal - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Quote:
Ballentine said the idea he proposed to his listeners grew out of a frustration with the Justice Department's handling of the so-called "Jena 6" case in Louisiana, in which three white Jena High School teens weren't held criminally responsible for hanging nooses on a tree, but six of the school's black students were charged with attempted murder for allegedly badly beating a white peer.

you know what? What those white teens did was disgusting, infact in the last 24hours I banned somebody for using pictures of a noose in conjunction with racial slurs on this site. But it is protected speech in the real world, has to be. That's the first amendment and you have to take the good with the bad or else where do you draw the line?

What does Sharpton want? The white kids to be charged for their outlandish use of free speech and the black teens to be freed after they committed radical racial vigilante justice? The real goof here is radical racial vigilante justice is exactly what that noose represented... But Sharpton seems to only think it applies to white people.

I had really thought after the Duke scandal that Sharpton would have enough sense of self preservation to shut the **** up for awhile, but he continues to outdo himself.

Thank you my sharpton for being a part of the problem...:no:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,050 • Replies: 47
No top replies

briansol

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:42 am
@Silverchild79,
sharpton just makes things worse IMO. nobody likes him. just STFU and maybe we WOULD like him
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:00 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43248 wrote:
I've decided I'll be holding off till the 2nd to make all my required early month purchases (food, monthly DVD purchase, ETC)

FOXNews.com - Economic Impact of Spending 'Blackout' Protesting Government and Hate Crimes Likely Minimal - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

you know what? What those white teens did was disgusting, infact in the last 24hours I banned somebody for using pictures of a noose in conjunction with racial slurs on this site. But it is protected speech in the real world, has to be. That's the first amendment and you have to take the good with the bad or else where do you draw the line?

What does Sharpton want? The white kids to be charged for their outlandish use of free speech and the black teens to be freed after they committed radical racial vigilante justice? The real goof here is radical racial vigilante justice is exactly what that noose represented... But Sharpton seems to only think it applies to white people.

I had really thought after the Duke scandal that Sharpton would have enough sense of self preservation to shut the *** up for awhile, but he continues to outdo himself.

I happen to support Sharpton's stance and the proposed boycott (wow, big surprise!), because there is "free speech", and there is "noose hanging", which
"cuts, viscerally", every black person walking, because of the implication of the symbol it represents.....the thousands of black innocents who were viciously "murdered" in that grotesque manner, while whites stood around laughing, taunting, and having a party. It shouldn't only be upsetting to black people, it should be upsetting and outrageous to all human beings. But as reflective of society, at large, here, in this very forum, we have members who are not only "not outraged" by the representation, but those who put the image in their avatars, along with those clamoring for blacks, like myself, to "lighten up", and stop making such a big deal.
I truly appreciate that the aforementioned member was "banned", for his actions and his commentary...but I am astounded that in this day and age, the basic fundamentals of race, tolerance and respect have just evaporated, into thin air....and folks are more worried about being able to enjoy the First Amendment to the letter of the law, forgetting that words and images can be "hurtful and painful", and some tact might better be employed.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:27 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43253 wrote:
we have members who are not only "not outraged" by the representation, but those who put the image in their avatars,

no we don't :cool:

Come on Aaron you've got to put down the kool-aid on tis one

Sharpton want's people who committed assault to be free from justice, and somebody who committed a legally protected expression to be prosecuted. This one more then crosses the line of law before agenda, even if what the noose hangers did was terrible. They aren't alone, what about Westpro Baptist Church, what about Frericon (sp?). One of the greatest things about this country is we let people open their mouths and expose themselves for the idiots they really are, and these noose hangers took full advantage of that right. But release people who committed assault and claim they've been discriminated against? I think not. Had this been some white teens assaulting a bunch of Black Panthers for displaying, oh I dunno, a shackled white man with a black slave master, the same thing would have been done by law enforcement. Rightly so, to say it only applies one way is the definition of racism. MLK said he wanted equality, not cultural retaliation.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:28 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43255 wrote:
no we don't :cool:

Come on Aaron you've got to put down the kool-aid on tis one

Sharpton want's people who committed assault to be free from justice, and somebody who committed a legally protected expression to be prosecuted. This one more then crosses the line of law before agenda, even if what the noose hangers did was terrible. They aren't alone, what about Westpro Baptist Church, what about Frericon (sp?). One of the greatest things about this country is we let people open their mouths and expose themselves for the idiots they really are, and these noose hangers took full advantage of that right. But release people who committed assault and claim they've been discriminated against? I think not. Had this been some white teens assaulting a bunch of Black Panthers for displaying, oh I dunno, a shackled white man with a black slave master, the same thing would have been done by law enforcement. Rightly so, to say it only applies one way is the definition of racism. MLK said he wanted equality, not cultural retaliation.

Excuse me, but what MLK wanted was "fair treatment, under the law"....and if you think that this is "that", then therein lies the problem.
I am not for letting the black students 'off the hook"....they assaulted another human being, and they should be punished, though not as severely as has been suggested...on the other hand, the white students should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, instead of getting less than a "public" spank on the wrist. Talk about inequality...let's talk.
But, I for one, will not buy anything of value on Nov. 2nd , in support of the boycott. Activism has to start somewhere.
And I put the "kool-aid" down some years back.
And Farrakhan has moderated his rhetoric, sounding more and more like MLK, everyday.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43278 wrote:
Excuse me, but what MLK wanted was "fair treatment, under the law"....and if you think that this is "that", then therein lies the problem.
I am not for letting the black students 'off the hook"....they assaulted another human being, and they should be punished, though not as severely as has been suggested...on the other hand, the white students should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, instead of getting less than a "public" spank on the wrist. Talk about inequality...let's talk.
But, I for one, will not buy anything of value on Nov. 2nd , in support of the boycott. Activism has to start somewhere.
And I put the "kool-aid" down some years back.
And Farrakhan has moderated his rhetoric, sounding more and more like MLK, everyday.

he has moved further to center and it's helped his image, but common law of PR is bad news is page 1 good news is page 10.

the white kids are being punished to the full extent of the law, what they did isn't illegal.

the assaulters should be punished in accordance with the law. No creedence should be given to the idea that "you should give them a lighter sentence because they were mad at the time", if we did that and applied it evenly to all people the justice system would fall apart. To only do it for African Americans would be racist to everybody else, therefore we should do it not at all...
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 01:48 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43281 wrote:
he has moved further to center and it's helped his image, but common law of PR is bad news is page 1 good news is page 10.

the white kids are being punished to the full extent of the law, what they did isn't illegal.

the assaulters should be punished in accordance with the law. No creedence should be given to the idea that "you should give them a lighter sentence because they were mad at the time", if we did that and applied it evenly to all people the justice system would fall apart. To only do it for African Americans would be racist to everybody else, therefore we should do it not at all...

Cam, you make no sense, at all.....you want me to relent and admit that you're right to call for the black students being held accountable....I did.
But, by the same token, you claim the white students did nothing illegal...me, and a whole lot of black folks feel that they did. Just the fact that we feel something should open your eyes up to the possibility that you may be wrong in your assumption(s).
If you are not willing to meet me half-way, and admit that they white students were wrong and should be punished, then I have to side 100% on the side of the black students, and adopt Sharpton's view, that they should be freed from prosecution and responsibility...you cannot have it both ways.
You are viewing the African-American community, which supports Sharpton's view as "racist", and I suggest that anyone absolving the blame of the white students, is "racist"....so, where do we go from here?
The inequity is overwhelming...for you to deny this is to be in abject denial and insensitive to the extreme....I can't say anymore about it than this.
And I'm not budging from my POV, as you have not made a persuasive argument for your case.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 02:32 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43282 wrote:
Cam, you make no sense, at all.....you want me to relent and admit that you're right to call for the black students being held accountable....I did.
But, by the same token, you claim the white students did nothing illegal...me, and a whole lot of black folks feel that they did. Just the fact that we feel something should open your eyes up to the possibility that you may be wrong in your assumption(s).
If you are not willing to meet me half-way, and admit that they white students were wrong and should be punished, then I have to side 100% on the side of the black students, and adopt Sharpton's view, that they should be freed from prosecution and responsibility...you cannot have it both ways.
You are viewing the African-American community, which supports Sharpton's view as "racist", and I suggest that anyone absolving the blame of the white students, is "racist"....so, where do we go from here?
The inequity is overwhelming...for you to deny this is to be in abject denial and insensitive to the extreme....I can't say anymore about it than this.
And I'm not budging from my POV, as you have not made a persuasive argument for your case.

no I've said the white students did wrong. There's plenty of 1st amendment protected expression which is wrong, although the noose incident is a cake taker.

but the law is the law and by the law they didn't break it, I'm not even sure if there's a civil recourse under law. The fact that "a whole lot of black folks" think it should be illegal doesn't change the fact that it isn't illegal.

Reverse the roles in the incident and I'd feel exactly the same way, but in this instance what the white people did was disgusting and wrong and what the black people did was a felony. For you to defend violent pre-emptive assault under any circumstances is crazy. To do it because you identify with the color of their skin is racist...

Tomorrow at Grambling, a small sec of students display black power symbols and are assualted by a group of good ole boys, would you feel the same way you do know? Ask yourself
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:44 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43284 wrote:
no I've said the white students did wrong. There's plenty of 1st amendment protected expression which is wrong, although the noose incident is a cake taker.

but the law is the law and by the law they didn't break it, I'm not even sure if there's a civil recourse under law. The fact that "a whole lot of black folks" think it should be illegal doesn't change the fact that it isn't illegal.

Reverse the roles in the incident and I'd feel exactly the same way, but in this instance what the white people did was disgusting and wrong and what the black people did was a felony. For you to defend violent pre-emptive assault under any circumstances is crazy. To do it because you identify with the color of their skin is racist...

Tomorrow at Grambling, a small sec of students display black power symbols and are assualted by a group of good ole boys, would you feel the same way you do know? Ask yourself

Excuse me...but you are trying to quantize actions of one group over another.
In my mind, there is nothing to compare with white on black racism...why? Because whites are in the majority, have power and execute judgment.
Black power symbols? Are you serious? You would equate some black power symbols (what? I can't even imagine....a fist, an afro, someone screaming, "I'm black and I'm proud"....what? I can't really think of any...perhaps you can.) with "the hanging of a noose"...with being called the "n" word....???????
You know what happens when you corner a dog...the dog may initially "cower" and retreat....but you keep taunting him, and poking at him, and he will retaliate, and bite the living hell out of you...and that's fact.
That is what I propose happened to the black students...we don't know how long or how intensive a campaign of innuendo, racial epithets being thrown about, dirty looks, accusations, took place...but it all came to a boil...and for you to say that the white students "came up to the line" but didn't cross it, does not "fly". If you can't see my point...then hope for reconciliation, is just that...."a hope", one that may or may not be fulfilled, due to arrogance, injustice, inequity, but most importantly, due to the belief in and of "white privilege.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:46 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43290 wrote:
Excuse me...but you are trying to quantize actions of one group over another.
In my mind, there is nothing to compare with white on black racism

then you believe in inequality, if you think one form of racism is worse then another then it's more okay for one race to be racist then the other. that is the definition of racism

you can never have racial equality if one form of racism is worse then another

if the world is to be colorless then justice must be colorless, it will not work any other way
Pinochet73

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 06:27 pm
@Silverchild79,
Racism is an attitude, not a historical weight-scale. If an individual discriminates and/or hates on the basis of race, he's a racist.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 06:30 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43291 wrote:
then you believe in inequality, if you think one form of racism is worse then another then it's more okay for one race to be racist then the other. that is the definition of racism

you can never have racial equality if one form of racism is worse then another

if the world is to be colorless then justice must be colorless, it will not work any other way

What is the lasting effect of black on white racism?
Whites, literally, "take their marbles and go home"...
White on black racism is disproportionately "more hazardous" and detrimental to blacks than the reverse. Why? For the aforementioned reason...Whites are in power...they control most everything..and blacks have limited power, and control very little.

Name me an instance where blacks discriminating against whites, "hurts" whites????? I mean really! Can blacks prevent a white from gainful employment? Can blacks prevent whites from living anywhere they choose to live? Can blacks prevent or undermine whites from voting? Do blacks exhibit any leverage or influence over monies as they apply to white schools or access to resources. Hell, can we get Metro to build light rail access in black neighborhoods, in Houston, Texas.....the answer to all of the above is , hell, NO.
If you're talking about inequity, or racial equality then you need to come with clean hands and palms open, and leave the nonsense behind...because, if you're suggesting that the "playing field" is "fair" and "level", then Houston, we have a problem...because it is anything but. You can spin that anyway you like, but the truth is the truth.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:00 pm
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43304 wrote:
What is the lasting effect of black on white racism?

the continuation of racial tension to another generation of Americans who do not need it. I've worked for several Black people. One of which was a Racist who tried to broker a power network of blacks first within a squadron I worked in. It was just as ugly I can assure you.

I've been discriminated against by white British people who discriminated on Americans, it was just as ugly I can assure you.

I wouldn't matter if commercial wealth were equally spread across the races, all racism would still be just as ugly.

Your statements speak your mind. While you wear the message of equality as if you were her champion, the only equality you actually care about is that which empowers those with a similar skin tone as your own. That is racism and there are fewer lower thought paths then racism...
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:13 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43320 wrote:
the continuation of racial tension to another generation of Americans who do not need it. I've worked for several Black people. One of which was a Racist who tried to broker a power network of blacks first within a squadron I worked in. It was just as ugly I can assure you.

Welcome to the reality, we, as black people, encounter everyday, all day, for most of our lives. So what, it was ugly! "Man up", no one cares how you feel...white people certainly don't, as a group.....as individuals, I've known some amazing "white people", who have instilled hope in me, that we all can be, as God intended us to be.

I've been discriminated against by white British people who discriminated on Americans, it was just as ugly I can assure you.

I've been discriminated by black people for being "too white", "too smart", "gay", "a wimp"....so what? Again, "man up", it's reality

I wouldn't matter if commercial wealth were equally spread across the races, all racism would still be just as ugly.

Your statements speak your mind. While you wear the message of equality as if you were her champion, the only equality you actually care about is that which empowers those with a similar skin tone as your own. That is racism and there are fewer lower thought paths then racism...

What you just said is a "bald-faced lie"....I am the champion of equality...you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't know my history, or my experience. I was an ambassador of peace and goodwill among the races at the age of 5, riding the Sante Fe Super Chief train, from Chicago to Houston.
My mom could find me 4 or 5 cars away, engaging some little white girl or boy, only endearing myself to their families, and having them ask my mother if I could accompany them to their homes.
I've attended "mixed race" schools, most of my life...and only encountered "hard core" racism, a handful of times...mostly the "subtle kind", when pursuing a job, or an apartment.......so, you don't know about which you speak.
Perhaps it appears that I am "one-sided", because, here, on this board are members, who clearly have little or no perception or knowledge of black people..because what is racism but ignorance.
And like the dog cornered, I have had my fill, and I bite, when taunted, or provoked....so, pardon me. At almost 55 years of age, you could hardly expect me to take it, any further.
0 Replies

Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 07:01 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43248 wrote:

I had really thought after the Duke scandal that Sharpton would have enough sense of self preservation to shut the *** up for awhile, but he continues to outdo himself.

Justice is what the noose represents? ……and to whom? It was this same so called symbol of justice that African Americans were hanged with, just because they were black. Besides, didn’t one of the white student brought a gun, and was disarmed, them beaten (not that I am defending mob justice). I thought the symbol of justice was a picture of a woman with blind fold over her eyes, with a blance in her hand. But if that's true that one white student brought a gun, how come that student was not charged for possessing and illegal gun?
aaronssongs

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 07:31 am
@Brian764,
Brian@764;43346 wrote:

He wasn't charged because we all know the truth, though only some of us are willing to admit it...that there are two kinds of justice....justice for white people, and justice for everybody else (read: mostly "black").
Please! The hanging of a noose...in Jena, La. or Vidor, Tx. or at one time, in Pasadena, Tx., sadly, is "commonplace"....just like good ole boys are sure to have their pick up trucks (to drag the likes of James Byrd to his untimely death), their beer, their honky-tonks, and their barbeque...they're also sure to have "nooses" nearby. This is a part of Americana that folks want to keep quiet...as it only rears its' ugly head only so often, in incidents like Vidor Tx, and Jena, La. But it's undeniably, "American". It's embarrassing, and disgusting, and ought not be tolerated on any level...but surprisingly it is tolerated, and in enclaves such as Jena....promoted.
As much as folks want to see this as "not such a big deal"...sorry, but it is a "big deal"....so big, that CNN is devoting a program to address the sudden surge of incidents of "noose-hangings", nation-wide. No big deal, right? Or blown out of proportion? Jesus, Joseph, and Mary.
Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 07:44 am
@aaronssongs,
aaronssongs;43349 wrote:
He wasn't charged because we all know the truth, though only some of us are willing to admit it...that there are two kinds of justice....justice for white people, and justice for everybody else (read: mostly "black").
Please! The hanging of a noose...in Jena, La. or Vidor, Tx. or at one time, in Pasadena, Tx., sadly, is "commonplace"....just like good ole boys are sure to have their pick up trucks (to drag the likes of James Byrd to his untimely death), their beer, their honky-tonks, and their barbeque...they're also sure to have "nooses" nearby. This is a part of Americana that folks want to keep quiet...as it only rears its' ugly head only so often, in incidents like Vidor Tx, and Jena, La. But it's undeniably, "American". It's embarrassing, and disgusting, and ought not be tolerated on any level...but surprisingly it is tolerated, and in enclaves such as Jena....promoted.
As much as folks want to see this as "not such a big deal"...sorry, but it is a "big deal"....so big, that CNN is devoting a program to address the sudden surge of incidents of "noose-hangings", nation-wide. No big deal, right? Or blown out of proportion? Jesus, Joseph, and Mary.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 08:31 am
@Brian764,
Brian@764;43346 wrote:
But if that's true that one white student brought a gun, how come that student was not charged for possessing and illegal gun?

I wasn't aware one of them brought a gun, if he broke the law he should be charged, plain and simple
Brian764

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:12 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43356 wrote:
I wasn't aware one of them brought a gun, if he broke the law he should be charged, plain and simple

When one has more facts it will be clear that racism is not only involved by the white students, but the whole justice system there in Jena. If kids are racist, then it means that the community is also that way...children learn what they are thought by adults. It was also reported that the black students asked permission to hang out under that tree. The fact that they had to asked for permission says something as well.
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:13 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;43356 wrote:

HE DIDN'T.

Aaron failed to correct the mistake of his fellow poster, even though he knew the fact to be false, because it served his purpose.

Further, here's a choice jem:

Quote:

The hanging of a noose...in Jena, La. or Vidor, Tx. or at one time, in Pasadena, Tx., sadly, is "commonplace"....just like good ole boys are sure to have their pick up trucks (to drag the likes of James Byrd to his untimely death), their beer, their honky-tonks, and their barbeque...they're also sure to have "nooses" nearby

The robbing and assaulting of white people by black thugs in big cities is "commonplace"...just like the ghettofied homeboys are sure to have low-riders (good for cruising or firing blindly into innocent kids), malt liquor, god-foresaken rap music, and fried chicken...they're also sure to be cashing a welfare check on their way out of Riker's Island.

You sir, are a racist, as Silver pointed out. If you find my statement offensive, look at your own and evaluate your own social attitudes.