Obama removes US flag from lapel to make a statement

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 10:36 am
He's not going to wear our flag because he doesn't want to confuse wearing a pin with patriotism. So what's to stop him from wearing a pin AND displaying "real patriotism"?

I'm not sure what message he's sending out but what people are going to hear is "don't vote for me"

FOXNews.com - Candidates Have Their Say on Obama's Decision Not to Wear Flag Pin - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,000 • Replies: 16
No top replies

wvpeach

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 11:04 am
@Silverchild79,
Wow

Obama is earning my respect with this one. I will not try to explain to you silver child the entire concept. But in short he is making the statement that a flag or colors mean nothing. Its the people the soul of the country that make a nation. And more imprtantly the actions of that nation that represent who the nation is, not a flag .

Its a sure thing he will not get elected by doing this, as the numb brain idiots who march behind a flag and get so thrilled by it will not understand. He is all but throwing the election for a principal . I got to admire the man now. He has my vote if he makes it to the nominee.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 11:18 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;40469 wrote:
in short he is making the statement that a flag or colors mean nothing.

Unfortunately you and he are wrong

Anybody who's been involved in Military or government service will tell you that the flag is a standing monument to those who have given their lives for this country. When you stand at the pledge of allegiance, or the national anthem and face the flag you aren't paying your respect to a piece of cloth, you're paying your respect to those who gave everything they had, and everything they even would have had, to the idea that you and I should be able to live free and argue on the Internet.

I don't fault you because most civilians don't know the purpose of the ceremony, maybe that will help you understand why Vet's get so mad when people disrespect the flag.

But Obama should know this. Maybe he does and is banking on the ignorance of his audience, I find that a bit offensive. Maybe he doesn't, it would certainly fit right into the "lacks experience" tag that other candidates are trying to pin on him. And why not pin it on him, he's apparently got plenty of open space on his jacket.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 11:32 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;40468 wrote:
He's not going to wear our flag because he doesn't want to confuse wearing a pin with patriotism. So what's to stop him from wearing a pin AND displaying "real patriotism"?

I'm not sure what message he's sending out but what people are going to hear is "don't vote for me"

FOXNews.com - Candidates Have Their Say on Obama's Decision Not to Wear Flag Pin - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

shocking stuff,he should be done for treason :eek:
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 11:32 am
@Silverchild79,
My family has a long history of military service to this country. Our latest vet is my daughter who sat up field hospitals as you might remember at the start of the Iraq war. I know full well what the sybolism of the flag is .

I also know that a symbol represents both the good and bad that has been carried out in the name of that symbol.

I also know that the bible tells us we are to swear no allegiance to anything or anybody but God. I have not in years swore allegiance to anybody or any thing but God.

Obama has guts. He is right , but it will probably stop him from being elected. He did not have much chance anyway , so why not show some ethics and make a statement. I admire him.

Silverchild79;40470 wrote:
Unfortunately you and he are wrong

Anybody who's been involved in Military or government service will tell you that the flag is a standing monument to those who have given their lives for this country. When you stand at the pledge of allegiance, or the national anthem and face the flag you aren't paying your respect to a piece of cloth, you're paying your respect to those who gave everything they had, and everything they even would have had, to the idea that you and I should be able to live free and argue on the Internet.

I don't fault you because most civilians don't know the purpose of the ceremony, maybe that will help you understand why Vet's get so mad when people disrespect the flag.

But Obama should know this. Maybe he does and is banking on the ignorance of his audience, I find that a bit offensive. Maybe he doesn't, it would certainly fit right into the "lacks experience" tag that other candidates are trying to pin on him. And why not pin it on him, he's apparently got plenty of open space on his jacket.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
@Silverchild79,
While Obama may think this is some insightful tribute to American patriotism, he is going to find that it IS going to work against him.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:33 pm
@Silverchild79,
He is making a mistake.
He should wear the flag pin and say and do the things he needs to do to show his Americanism and patriotism. He does not have to agree with everyone to be patriotic, but if the pin is customarily worn by people in his position, he should continue to wear it proudly and show us he will be the man to change our government in positive ways so as to better our position at home and in the world if he can.
wvpeach

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:52 pm
@Curmudgeon,
I agree Curmudgeon. They don't need a excuse to attack him anyway. Why give them one?

Curmudgeon;40594 wrote:
He is making a mistake.
He should wear the flag pin and say and do the things he needs to do to show his Americanism and patriotism. He does not have to agree with everyone to be patriotic, but if the pin is customarily worn by people in his position, he should continue to wear it proudly and show us he will be the man to change our government in positive ways so as to better our position at home and in the world if he can.
Freeman15

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 08:29 pm
@wvpeach,
Obama scored major points with me with this play. The flag is a symbol with which idiots and sheeple identify because they are incapable of digesting complex ideas or rational thought. Flags and symbols are used to distract and enthrall the masses into uniformity and support for an agenda (hence the CONSTANT barrage of flags from EVERY political party). Flags should be treated exactly as they were intended, identifying insignia.

Obama showed great courage in this move, and I hope he sticks with it. It WILL cost him the nomination and election though, since your average American has the IQ of a potato.
aaronssongs

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:02 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;40594 wrote:
He is making a mistake.

Given all of the reckless policies and downright criminal behavior of this incredibly corrupt administration, wearing a flag pin, is hardly appropriate at this point in time. We are in a period of profound shame. The laundry list is too long to explore here, as it is already "well-known". Suffice it to say, let us look for the day, perhaps Jan 20, 2009, when we can once again be proud to wear a flag pin, once honor has been restored to the office of the presidency and to government.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:13 am
@Freeman15,
freeman

You are staring to remind me of my oldest son. And that is a very good thing. Good post freeman, I love it when people think for themselves.

Freeman15;40620 wrote:
Obama scored major points with me with this play. The flag is a symbol with which idiots and sheeple identify because they are incapable of digesting complex ideas or rational thought. Flags and symbols are used to distract and enthrall the masses into uniformity and support for an agenda (hence the CONSTANT barrage of flags from EVERY political party). Flags should be treated exactly as they were intended, identifying insignia.

Obama showed great courage in this move, and I hope he sticks with it. It WILL cost him the nomination and election though, since your average American has the IQ of a potato.
Freeman15

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:14 am
@wvpeach,
wvpeach;40652 wrote:
freeman

You are staring to remind me of my oldest son. And that is a very good thing. Good post freeman, I love it when people think for themselves.

Does than mean you'll start acting really maternal towards me and send me cookies? That'd be jim-bob dandy.

Kidding aside, I'm always shocked at how seriously people take the flag, even though I see it every day. Our country is in a lot of trouble.
0 Replies

REDWHITEBLUE2

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 03:13 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;40468 wrote:
I'm not sure what message he's sending out

That He's A Muslim That Hates America And Supports The Muslim Pig Terrorists
92b16vx

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:56 pm
@REDWHITEBLUE2,
REDWHITEBLUE2;40697 wrote:

Except he isn't a muslim. :beat:
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 10:59 pm
@Silverchild79,
Quote:

I am not an Obama supporter, but all that is patently untrue.
0 Replies

aaronssongs

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 12:59 am
@REDWHITEBLUE2,

Why lie and promote false propaganda? What has he done to support your claims?
Muslims are not pigs...and you are racist....and that coming from a Christian.
0 Replies

wvpeach

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:15 am
@REDWHITEBLUE2,

[SIZE="3"]I suppose you lack the brains to know that most muslims are not terrorists? [/SIZE] I suppose you have swallowed the propaganda fed you that they all want to kill you?
0 Replies