POTW: CCTV in the USA?

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:30 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;26302 wrote:
But, Cam, if someone robs your house and kills someone or something you love wouldn't you agree that a camera focused down your block would help?

It isn't a matter of effectiveness, it's just a matter of privacy. When your out in the public word (at a library, dance club etc) you have no privacy save for the bathroom, that's why it's called a public place. But a private street camera is recording your private land that you own and there's a difference

and if somebody breaks into my house they'll be shot or katana-ed on sight

texas! what?
92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:37 am
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;26311 wrote:
texas! what?

September 1st is D-Day for criminals.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:45 am
@Silverchild79,
what happens on Sept 1st?
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 12:44 pm
@Silverchild79,
Castle Doctrine becomes law. Basically it says that anywhere a citizen lawfully has the right to be, they can use deadly force to defend themselves, and do not have to retreat and only use deadly force as a last resort. Basically a mirror of the stand and fight laws in a few other places.

Quote:
Castle Doctrine refers to a legal concept derived from English Common Law as it is presently applied in sections of the United States of America. It designates one's home (or any place legally occupied, such as one's car or place of work) as a place in which one enjoys protections from both prying and violent attack. In the United States, laws informally referred to as 'castle laws' can sometimes impose an obligation to retreat before using force to defend oneself. The Castle Doctrine provides for an exception to this duty. Provided one is attacked in their own home, vehicle, or place of business, in jurisdictions where 'castle laws' are in force, one may stand their ground against an assailant without fear of prosecution.

0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 03:55 pm
@Silverchild79,
92 - I agree with part of what you say. I would never wish for anyone to be disarmed under any circumstances. Listen, please - if you shot someone defending your property and a surveillance camera caught the whole event on tape, you would be cleared once the video evidence is analyzed. It happens with police dashboard videos every day. It is a way of protecting yourself from mistaken prosecution. In the end, you keep your weapons, the crook pays the ultimate price - everyone wins.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 05:11 pm
@Silverchild79,
I don't want surveillance cameras watching my property unless I put them there, and I am the one monitoring them.
0 Replies