POTW: CCTV in the USA?

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:34 am
The recent terrorist attacks in the UK have shown the effectiveness of CCTV. CCTV or "Closed Circuit Television" provides a walmart like environment of constant video surveillance in the more urban areas of the UK.

But at what cost? Many Americans already feel that civil liberty is under fire and sticking a camera in your face only exacerbates the problem. Inversely one could argue that if you aren't breaking any laws in public there shouldn't be any harm in CCTV.

So, should the US bring in more CCTV, will it be more effective? Let us know
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,411 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Silverchild79

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 09:38 am
@Silverchild79,
I voted yes. I lived in the UK, under CCTV for two years and you hardly notice it. It isn't any different then walking through walmart and if you're not being indecent or breaking the law then the Camera isn't violating you.

The film however must remain private unless released for police work or the like (no breast feeding videos on youtube)
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:30 am
@Silverchild79,
In our Constitution there is no wording for a right to privacy, unless i missed something?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:31 am
@Silverchild79,
I'm the second yes.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 02:19 pm
@Silverchild79,
First no here, I don't need Big Brother watching everything I do.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:21 pm
@Silverchild79,
I do not like the Big Bro thing but it has helped to find urban killers on our streets, it can be very useful in locating and tracking terrorists.

I vote YES
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:24 pm
@Silverchild79,
Where's just the "no - It's un-American" option
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 12:37 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;25911 wrote:
Where's just the "no - It's un-American" option

typical liberal/ron paul supporter question

"I don't want to talk about what's effective I want to talk about what I want to do"
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:16 pm
@Silverchild79,
92b16vx;25920 wrote:
Typical neofascist response "Just shut up, we know what's good for you"

removed by admin if you think I am a liberal because I do not want to be watched 24/7 by big brother.

I wasn't claiming I knew what was best for you, that's why this is a poll

my comment was directed at the fact that you seemed concerned with your personal convenience over things which can be done to make America better (CCTV prevents crime which makes America better). You didn't want to talk about if it was effective or not, you just wanted to say

"I don't like it because it's inconvenient to me, the public good be dammed"
92b16vx

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:22 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;25927 wrote:
I wasn't claiming I knew what was best for you, that's why this is a poll

my comment was directed at the fact that you seemed concerned with your personal convenience over things which can be done to make America better (CCTV prevents crime which makes America better). You didn't want to talk about if it was effective or not, you just wanted to say

"I don't like it because it's inconvenient to me, the public good be dammed"

It is niether convenient, nor inconvenient for me, I do not feel we, as a peole need the gubernment to hold our hands through life, or monitor our streets to keep us safe. We do not need any more gubernment control on our lives, we need more personal responsibility, and cameras are not going to give that.
Silverchild79

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:36 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;25928 wrote:
We do not need any more gubernment control on our lives, we need more personal responsibility, and cameras are not going to give that.

I think the real problem with this logic is that islamic radicals idea of personal responsibility IS what the cameras are trying to stop
92b16vx

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 02:44 pm
@Silverchild79,
Silverchild79;25931 wrote:
I think the real problem with this logic is that islamic radicals idea of personal responsibility IS what the cameras are trying to stop

Move into a prison if you want, you'll feel all snug and safe and no one will hurt you. Or you can string up barbed wire from everyones front door, with thumbprint access doors in every building, and implant tracking systems in you and your children, then we could always know where you are, and what you are doing, and you'll be all safe and snug in the comfort that no bad bad islamic militant is going to make you live in fear dang it, oh...wait a minute...

comment removed by admin, we'll see you tomorrow :-)
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2007 04:27 pm
@Silverchild79,
We don't need to take it to the limits above but as an example, a camera mounted on the side of a building in Los Angeles helped to catch a thug that murdered a man with a baseball bat on the street. He was positively ID'ed and locked up. Personally, I don't care if someone gets their jollies watching me on the street.
0 Replies

briansol

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 10:38 pm
@Silverchild79,
i support them in high crime areas, gang corners, and so forth... but i don't want one on my street.

and yes, see my sig.
0 Replies

Silverchild79

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2007 11:30 pm
@Silverchild79,
yeah that makes sense

we can have them in high crime areas, and in areas of interest for terrorist attacks. but if we do that we'd be exactly like the UK
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 08:00 am
@Silverchild79,
Yes, lets start incrementally, that's the ticket. Start in the "bad" neighborhoods, and malls.
socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:08 am
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;26274 wrote:
Yes, lets start incrementally, that's the ticket. Start in the "bad" neighborhoods, and malls.

Yes, but if someone breaks into your home and injures one of your loved ones, wouldn't you want a camera shooting down your block..?

If only the "bad" neighborhoods are watched, then the thugs will go elsewhere - to so called "good" neighborhoods. I live in a gated community that has been plagued with petty crime from criminals from "bad" neighborhoods that sneak in through the forest. I wish there was a camera on my block to catch the lousy bastards.
Silverchild79

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:14 am
@Silverchild79,
Nobody robbs poor streets anywho, I don't think the govt should install them on your street. But if a gated connuminty with a foundation wants to that's cool

I'm talking malls, libraries, and their parking lots. Outside of dance clubs ETC
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:20 am
@Silverchild79,
But, Cam, if someone robs your house and kills someone or something you love wouldn't you agree that a camera focused down your block would help? I understand the big brother thing, but what do you do that warrants that much privacy walking from your car to your front door?
92b16vx

Reply Fri 13 Jul, 2007 10:26 am
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;26297 wrote:
Yes, but if someone breaks into your home and injures one of your loved ones, wouldn't you want a camera shooting down your block..?

If only the "bad" neighborhoods are watched, then the thugs will go elsewhere - to so called "good" neighborhoods. I live in a gated community that has been plagued with petty crime from criminals from "bad" neighborhoods that sneak in through the forest. I wish there was a camera on my block to catch the lousy bastards.

No, I wouldn't. What I do NOT want, is the right to defend myself to be taken away and replaced by an irresponsible, non-reactive government camera system. Once the cameras are in place it is a stones throw to disarming the people, because now we are all "safe" with cameras watching us. Sorry, but I would rather stop criminals, than catch them after the fact, maybe you need to police your neighborhood better, instead of lamenting (word of the day) about the bad element encrouching on it.
0 Replies