Thoughts on The Joe Horn Shooting?

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:18 am
@klyph,
Did you know stealing of livestock in China will result in capital punishment?
92b16vx

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:16 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;49384 wrote:
Did you know stealing of livestock in China will result in capital punishment?

If it is the livelihood of the farmer? than good.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 03:03 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;49385 wrote:

no, not good!

The crime is not relative to the punisment. The value of a human life is much more than that of a cow, so how can you demand a human life for an animals life.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:08 pm
@briansol,
Horse stealing used to be a hanging offense in parts of the Old West.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 07:10 pm
@Curmudgeon,
Quote:
Was this the 911 call on LiveLeak where he says "BOO!, YOU'RE DEAD!"?

No, but he did tell them not to move or he would shoot. And move they did, so shoot, he did.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 08:01 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;49390 wrote:
no, not good!

The crime is not relative to the punisment. The value of a human life is much more than that of a cow, so how can you demand a human life for an animals life.

It isn't about the cow, or horse, it's about the farmers livelihood, and being able to fed his family, someone steals that, they steal his livelihood. Some would say that that is their life. Private property can be a touchy subject, look at our laws here in the states. While most of the time court proceedings will not end in death for a defendent in a burglary case, the property owner does have the right to defend his property with deadly force.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;49398 wrote:
It isn't about the cow, or horse, it's about the farmers livelihood, and being able to fed his family, someone steals that, they steal his livelihood. Some would say that that is their life. Private property can be a touchy subject, look at our laws here in the states. While most of the time court proceedings will not end in death for a defendent in a burglary case, the property owner does have the right to defend his property with deadly force.

Okay first of all, livestock or at least the quanity that someone may steal is not usually their entire livelyhood, and even if that was the case the person who stole the livestock should be required to pay back the full value of property stolen plus dammages and jail time.

see the problem with such a law is that it assumes that one person's life is less valuable than another person's livestock.
92b16vx

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:09 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;49404 wrote:
Okay first of all, livestock or at least the quanity that someone may steal is not usually their entire livelyhood, and even if that was the case the person who stole the livestock should be required to pay back the full value of property stolen plus dammages and jail time.

see the problem with such a law is that it assumes that one person's life is less valuable than another person's livestock.

No, I see it as someone took someone elses livelihood, and paid the price their culture has set forth. Do I agree with it? No, but that doesn't change the fact that their culture, and laws are different. I do not have an desire to impose my morals on other people, or countries.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:45 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;49405 wrote:
No, I see it as someone took someone elses livelihood, and paid the price their culture has set forth. Do I agree with it? No, but that doesn't change the fact that their culture, and laws are different. I do not have an desire to impose my morals on other people, or countries.

actually you did agree with it when you said:

Quote:

i'm not arguing that it isn't part of their culture, i know it is, but that doesn't make it right! Their are cultures where torture is acceptable, does that inherently make it right?
92b16vx

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:19 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;49415 wrote:
actually you did agree with it when you said:

I agree that a person should be able to defend their livelihood, even if it means killing someone that would take it from them. Agreeing with their right to defend and prosecute doesn't mean I can't think it is a little extreme.

Quote:
i'm not arguing that it isn't part of their culture, i know it is, but that doesn't make it right! Their are cultures where torture is acceptable, does that inherently make it right?

It doesn't really matter if I think it is right. I do not support police, or nanny states where ones will is imposed on another.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 06:22 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;49420 wrote:
I agree that a person should be able to defend their livelihood, even if it means killing someone that would take it from them. Agreeing with their right to defend and prosecute doesn't mean I can't think it is a little extreme.

Just as long as we're on the same page here...
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 02:52 pm
@briansol,
Horn should have just shot them, without giving the cops a head's up. That was the dumb part. He could've blown their worthless hydes away, and then claimed they had attempted to break into his house. Done deal. Two fewer scumbags for society to subsidize, and one more hero amongst us. Yipper.:thumbup:
robedone

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:17 pm
@Pinochet73,
I would totally defend Joe Horn if he was defending his own property. The neighbors property I have a problem with that. My grown children have crawled thru my windows when I'm not at home and have forgotten their keys. I would hate to think that they could wind up dead because a neighbor thought they were robbing me.

I don't believe they would have approached him had he not confronted them. Was it racial. Give me a break. I think his neighbors were Vietmanese.

In defense of Joe's action. There was a cop there. If they had been caught, Joe would have to show up for court numerous times and then they would probably plea bargain for probation and be out on the streets to rip the rest of us off. Bad guys just got a little more than they bargained for.
92b16vx

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 06:22 pm
@robedone,
robedone;49646 wrote:
I would totally defend Joe Horn if he was defending his own property. The neighbors property I have a problem with that. My grown children have crawled thru my windows when I'm not at home and have forgotten their keys. I would hate to think that they could wind up dead because a neighbor thought they were robbing me.

I don't believe they would have approached him had he not confronted them. Was it racial. Give me a break. I think his neighbors were Vietmanese.

In defense of Joe's action. There was a cop there. If they had been caught, Joe would have to show up for court numerous times and then they would probably plea bargain for probation and be out on the streets to rip the rest of us off. Bad guys just got a little more than they bargained for.

One would have to assume that the neighbor didn't know your kids, and that your kids wouldn't then be leaving your residence with your property.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:42 am
@briansol,
Nah....Horn killed two scumbags whom our government would have spent millions defending in the legal system. Horn did us taxpayers a favor. Thank you, Mr. Horn. Here....lemme contribute a box of ammo to your cause.
0 Replies

klyph

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 09:58 pm
@briansol,
Thieves deserve death.
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 03:23 pm
@klyph,
klyph;49774 wrote:
Thieves deserve death.

Well, not ALL thieves... but certainly these two got what they deserved....
scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:12 pm
@klyph,
klyph;49774 wrote:
Thieves deserve death.

Including the big corporate thieves :thumbup:
0 Replies

scooby-doo cv

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:13 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;49808 wrote:
Well, not ALL thieves... but certainly these two got what they deserved....

What about those at Enron for example ?
socalgolfguy

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:45 pm
@scooby-doo cv,
scooby-doo;49825 wrote:
What about those at Enron for example ?

They should be stripped of their fortunes, for sure, then put to work representing those they duped, at minimum wage - from prison.
0 Replies