Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 09:49 am
BBC NEWS | Americas | Bush renews immigration bill call

bush is calling for more action to be done on this.

What's your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 949 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 06:49 pm
@briansol,
I love Spanish culture, history and the Spanish language. My wife is from Panama. BUT.....we don't want to become another Mexico, and that we will if things don't change.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:11 pm
@briansol,
The thing is, these immigrants aren't assimilating. Earlier immigrants lived in communities with their own people, speaking their own languages. However, they sent their children to school, where they learned English and made American, English-speaking friends, and many of them learned English themselves. They loved thier newfound country and tried to become citizens and assimilate while retaining their culture and bringing some of it into the American mainstream.

Many illegl immigrants now do not bother to attain citizenship. They live in the same tight-knit communities, but do not care enough to learn our language or make their children learn it. They replace our culture with theirs entirely, turning American flags upside-down at a school in one case. They are happy with illegally obtained green cards. They come not because this is the land of the free and the home of the brave, but because they can get more money for their work, only a small part of the American dream.

Any bill should have provisions to mmake them assimilate in some ways and to learn about American culture and the English language, which they must already do to become citizens. A guest worker program could be abused too easily.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:14 pm
@briansol,
We're also getting Mexico's troubled population. Many of them are hardcore criminals and deadbeats. I worked adult probation down here in south Texas for a while. It opened my eyes, big time.:no:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Tue 10 Apr, 2007 07:27 pm
@briansol,
Oh, yeah, sure. Hear about what happened in Virginia Beach? Illegal immigrant got drunk and killed two people (I think) in a car crash. Can you imagine the uproar if it was an animal that got abused by an illegal immigrant?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 06:48 pm
@briansol,
No amnesty. When Reagan tried it, it didn't work. It just created a bigger problem. They let a few millions go back in the eighty's, all with the hopla the politicians are crying about now. They made new laws, enacted new policy to deal with the problem then. How that policy worked is what we are dealing with now! Four times worse then when we dealelt with is last time. Amnesty didn't work then, it wont work now. If history is our example, next time we will be dealing with what 60 million illegals?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:52 pm
@briansol,
Heck no. Lock up the border tighter than a heterosexual frog's butt.:spaz:
0 Replies