Do you support Nationalized Healthcare?

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:01 pm
If not, why not?

If so, how would you implement it?

I would support an approach similar to that taken by germany. A portion of all income goes into specific government sponsored groups based on where the person works and a small percentage of this goes into a group for the unemployed, disabled, etc. The whole group buys insurance for everyone from a private insurance company, in bulk. By buying in bulk, they are in a position of power to negotiate for the price they want or are free to shop for a better price from another agency. And considering the number of people in each of these groups, it's usually in their best interest to give them the lowest price they can profit from.

Would you favor such an approach.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,646 • Replies: 95
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:09 pm
I support a national health care program where fees will be based on a sliding fee scale. The federal-state mandated programs today does not work, because everybody goes to the emergency room for non-emergency medical need. Many non-insured people go to hospital emergency rooms for colds and minor injuries. All visits to the hospital and/or doctor should have a co-pay.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:12 pm
So why not let the insurance companies worry about it like my proposed plan would do. If they fail to contorl costs without sacrificing the quality of service, groups will simply move to more successful insurance companies.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:19 pm
Many private insurance plans in California failed, because they couldn't make a profit. Many just moved out of the state.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:35 pm
It gets increasingly hard to find anybody who will honor many groups' insurance. It's because the insurance companies and the companies we work for squeeze a dollar for blood. Also, as CI points out, the system is getting abused. Not just by patients, I believe, but by everyone in the system. We need a national plan based on common sense, not everyone trying to sieze all of the pie. I don't care if it is government controlled or in private hands, so long as it gets policed for effectiveness and honesty.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:39 pm
Your proposed plan here sounds amazingly like the justification used to create the current HMO/Managed Care system we have now.

The government regulated HMOs were supposed to drive costs down by negotiating lower prices with the health care providers and drug manufacturers for their members using the leverage of buying in bulk.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:42 pm
Okay, call me crazy (((CRAZY!!!)))

but I must be a communist: I think with birth should come a place to live, food to eat, an education and free health care.

Who do you think all those sick people are infecting? It's in your own best interest to have a healthy populace!

Mental health should have parity as well.

Why do the most basic things in life require a price?

All the extras...charge what you will...but, why can't human beings be guaranteed the basics?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:43 pm
It seems to work well in germany.

We are the only western democracy (if not the only democracy) that doesn't guarentee it's citizens the right to health care.

What would you propose? How do you think national healthcare should work?
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
I'm the first to admit I don't know the details, however, I do know that in a country such as the US, one with such an incredible disparity in levels of income, this should not be a hard thing to work out. Cut the corporate welfare; reinstate higher levels of income tax to the wealthiest 10%; cut the pentagon budget...etc. Please don't rip me to shreds for not knowing exactly how to solve it; that's what the bureaucrats get paid to do. I just intuitively believe in my heart it can be done.

It's a matter of priorities: to 'sell' it to those who believe it must be paid for, one needs to get them to understand how it negatively affects them. If they have no empathy, let them bring it about because they do care about keeping their own little worlds safe, secure and w/o contagious new strains and viruses, etc.

A gated community will turn into a prison sooner or later...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:22 pm
Suzette, It's called supply and demand. With endless demand, it's impossible to provide the supply. We must look at the glass as half full; this country has done a pretty good job on most of the issues on your list. Communism doesn't work, because there's no incentive for quality.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 07:43 pm
I know that people with your POV call it 'supply and demand' ... people with my POV call it common decency.

Again, all your toys, your frills, your steaks and such...fine, gouge the public as you like.

But, simple necessities of life? WHY?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 08:54 pm
Suzette, Talk is cheap; so how much of your income are you giving to charity that helps poor people with helath care?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:15 pm
We have national healthcare here. There's some problems but the most part it seems to work.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:18 pm
Suzette's quote, "Again, all your toys, your frills, your steaks and such...fine, gouge the public as you like." I earned mine by working hard, so I'll enjoy my toys and world travel.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:19 pm
I support it, but I live in Canada where it is a reality. Our system is not perfect but I shudder to think what would become of our society without it.
I recently heard stats from the states, 1/3 of the middle class are without any health coverage. It's very sad when the working class, those that pay the bulk of person taxes, cannot afford decent health care. I have always been amazed at how much it costs the average US citizen for simple medical procedures, not to mention the amount of bankrupcies caused when people are inadequately funded.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:22 pm
Suzette, If you bother to read the second post of this forum, you'll see that I support universal health care. So, what is 'your' problem?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:36 pm
I like the Canadian System
BTW the USA is NOT a Democracy. It's an Oligarchy.

We have a President that gets his instructions straight from God, so we just kick back and relax.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:42 pm
When did the BRD cease providing healthcare to its citizens? Shocked Walter....?!?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:45 pm
I just know one thing. If I had to pick a country to get sick in, the US would be a looooong way down the list.
0 Replies

Suzette

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 09:46 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Suzette, If you bother to read the second post of this forum, you'll see that I support universal health care. So, what is 'your' problem?

No problem at all. However, you don't support universal health care; you support a form of access to universal health care...one with a co-pay for everything. I see no reason why human beings should not be provided with what it takes to live; no more, no less.

As to how much I give to charity: more than I should; however, by the tenor of your posts, I doubt it would be much at all by your measure.
0 Replies