My take on Global Warming (AGW)

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 07:30 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;52281 wrote:
NO, i said you were unable to Refute my statements!

notice the difference?

Not really, what were the statements you mentioned if not the original one with the cartoon.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:43 pm
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52308 wrote:
what were the statements you mentioned if not the original one with the cartoon.

ALL of them! Not just on that thread, but all of my arguments. If i was just talking about one argument on one thread then i would not have pluaralized it! DUH.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 30 Jan, 2008 08:46 pm
@Dmizer,
Well I can't do much about that since I regularly question your arguments.
0 Replies

socalgolfguy

Reply Thu 31 Jan, 2008 01:15 pm
@Dmizer,
Global warming..? It's freezing in SoCal lately. I've taken to wearing a jacket in the daytime recently.
scooby-doo cv

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:10 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;52387 wrote:
Global warming..? It's freezing in SoCal lately. I've taken to wearing a jacket in the daytime recently.

A jacket ! last few weeks ive been wearing flippers :dunno:
0 Replies

Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 1 Feb, 2008 04:23 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;52387 wrote:

We have 6 inches of snow here!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:58 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;52301 wrote:
Rug - do you believe in the "Ice Ball" theory..? It's claim is that the sun will burn out in 50 billion years and the Earth will become this giant floating ice ball in the universe. Whatever we do here, now, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

Don't let any of our presidential candidates know that. They'll start promising billions to research and implement ways to avoid that catastrophe, if doing so will help them get elected. Very Happy
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 3 Feb, 2008 05:59 pm
@Dmizer,
"I, John McCain, will not allow the sun to burn out on my watch. No, dammit. No. I'm just not built that way."

"Neither will I, Barak Hussein Obama!!!!!!!"

PAROOOOOOMPH!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 04:16 pm
@socalgolfguy,
socalgolfguy;52301 wrote:
Rug - do you believe in the "Ice Ball" theory..? It's claim is that the sun will burn out in 50 billion years and the Earth will become this giant floating ice ball in the universe. Whatever we do here, now, doesn't really matter in the grand scheme.

Fifty billion? That's a little far.

The sun's gonna go around four or five billion years from now.

I would hope that mankind, or whatever we become, will have established the technology required to handle such a situation in five billion years. If we haven't, then we as a species have failed.
Reagaknight

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 06:04 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;52959 wrote:

I would hope that mankind, or whatever we become, will have established the technology required to handle such a situation in five billion years. If we haven't, then we as a species have failed.

What makes you think we'll even be a distant memory? We've had 4.6 billion years and every form of life (or I should probably say dominant species,) has become totally extinct without anything left in a matter of tens or hundreds of millions of years. Even with the rapid developement of humans, I doubt if we could last that long in any form at all by scientific standards. If we're still alive then, who knows what could happen, if you don't presume that the current trend of advancement continues. We might be on other planets by then, for all we know.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Thu 7 Feb, 2008 09:53 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;52959 wrote:

more than likely our species won't even last 1 billion years, evolution will have taken it's toll by then.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:15 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;52981 wrote:
more than likely our species won't even last 1 billion years, evolution will have taken it's toll by then.

Regardless of what course evolution takes, if the life which originated on this planet cannot survive the destruction of its star, then it has failed.

Evolution at that level plays no favorites and gives no make-up time. Aint out of the way? Sucks to be you.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:21 am
@Reagaknight,
Reagaknight;52963 wrote:
What makes you think we'll even be a distant memory? We've had 4.6 billion years and every form of life (or I should probably say dominant species,) has become totally extinct without anything left in a matter of tens or hundreds of millions of years. Even with the rapid developement of humans, I doubt if we could last that long in any form at all by scientific standards. If we're still alive then, who knows what could happen, if you don't presume that the current trend of advancement continues. We might be on other planets by then, for all we know.

If we are living in other star systems, great... we succeed. Our sun could nova and we would survive.

As for what we will be, by scientific evolutionary standards, who knows. For now, there's no real driving force behind any radical changes. We're fine as we sit. No natural predators, death by disease has dropped sharply. Where's the need for evolutionary change? Granted, over a four billion year stretch, there's no telling what could happen. But for now, we're not gonna change... much.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:08 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;52994 wrote:
If we are living in other star systems, great... we succeed. Our sun could nova and we would survive.

As for what we will be, by scientific evolutionary standards, who knows. For now, there's no real driving force behind any radical changes. We're fine as we sit. No natural predators, death by disease has dropped sharply. Where's the need for evolutionary change? Granted, over a four billion year stretch, there's no telling what could happen. But for now, we're not gonna change... much.

I doubt we'll even survive long enough to experience the death of the sun. Compared to the age of the earth humans are the last 2 seconds of the 'earthly clock', I can't say i even know of one animal species that has survived more than 2 million years nontheless a couple billion years.
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 07:16 pm
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53029 wrote:
I doubt we'll even survive long enough to experience the death of the sun. Compared to the age of the earth humans are the last 2 seconds of the 'earthly clock', I can't say i even know of one animal species that has survived more than 2 million years nontheless a couple billion years.

Cocelanth
Horseshoe Crab
Crayfish

We evolved sentience, and that's what will keep us around a bit longer.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Fri 8 Feb, 2008 09:14 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;53030 wrote:
Cocelanth
Horseshoe Crab
Crayfish

We evolved sentience, and that's what will keep us around a bit longer.

That sounds like wishful thinking. Genetically speaking, we are killing ourselves.
Sabz5150

Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2008 06:28 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;53049 wrote:
That sounds like wishful thinking. Genetically speaking, we are killing ourselves.

We'll figure it out. Life really only has one goal... survival. As long as it does that, it'll keep on keepin' on.

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/keepon-robot.jpg

Keepon?
Pinochet73

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:09 pm
@Sabz5150,
My recent global-warming-weather experiences:

A black ball hovered over me last July, and snowed for 40 days, and 40 nights. Wherever I went, the ball followed me, snowing on me, witin a 3-foot radius.

While barbequing a slab of beef in August, I saw a wall of blue-ice shoot past my back porch, freezing a four-foot-wide path across my lawn, one in which no vegetation can now grow.

A hail-storm developed in my garage, and beat everything in it to bits. When I opened the door, it turned into napalm, while flooding to the ceiling. Before dying, I thought I glimpsed a nuclear bomb floating at the bottom of the napalm pool.

WHILE ALL THIS WAS HAPPENING, I COULD HEAR THE VOICE OF DICK CHENEY IN THE BACKGROUND, LAUGHING HYSTERICALLY. That.......and the whining of Keith Blow-Job Olberman. Very Happy:FU1::FU1:Very Happy
DiversityDriven

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2008 12:12 pm
@Dmizer,
LOL!! Your on a role.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2008 08:11 pm
@Dmizer,
Hoooaaahhh.
0 Replies