It's the conservatives that favor big government control.

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:28 pm
Do sodomy laws that ban homosexual acts in the privacy of ones own home sound like little government control?

Do the patriot acts that allows the US govt to lock up and arrest anyone they want to including citizens, without pressing charges, without allowing them an attorney, without granting them a trial, without presenting any evidence what so ever, without so much as telling them why are they are locked up sound like little govt control?

Do crazy high sentences on light alcohol or marijuana use sound like little govt control?

No, conservatives only want less govt influence when it's stuff like more federal aid to the school systems, more homeless shelters and more student loans for underprivalaged college kids.

Liberals don't stand for more govt. control. They support social aid programs aimed at helping people going through rough times get back on their feet. That hardly qualifies as govt. control.

Telling people what they can and can't do even in the privacy of their own home is govt. control. Locking people up without pressing charges, presenting evidence or offering them a trial is govt. control. And this is exactly what conservatives are all about.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,658 • Replies: 6
No top replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 04:34 pm
Conservatives only want less govt.
when it comes to corporations. Less polution control. Less taxes for the wealthy. Less corp. finance control. Less benefits for the common people. Less worker's rights and benefits. Less work.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2003 05:29 pm
They all spend like drunken sailors. But the Republicans have outspent the Democrats by a wide margin.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
yep, and now something like a fourth of our tax revenue goes to paying the interest on the debt we've accumilated and we're all screwed.

i'm talking more in terms of principles than actual actions. few politicians behave as true liberals or conservatives.

but in terms of what the parties stand for, the so called conservatives/republican party can no longer call them either small govt. people or conservatives.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 02:23 pm
This must be some kind of record. It took Centroles over TWO YEARS to respond to the last post in this thread. No doubt such deep thoughts tend to percolate slowly to the surface.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 05:59 pm
what can i say, i'm a deep thinker.

i haven't been on here in a while but came back to look for an old poltics argument i made here in the past for a paper i'm working on.

this discussion was too interesting to pass up.

so what's the response?
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 12:13 am
try this.

http://www.geocities.com/ecocorner/intelarea/fah1.html
0 Replies