Coulter = hate monger?

Dmizer

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 04:08 pm
Is Ann Coulter doing more damage than good for her conservative movement?
Her recent use of slurs in describing Homosexuals and Iranians, paints a picture of coservatives as a bunch of racists and hate mongers.
The conservative movement appears to have lost the moral high ground if they choose to have her as their poster girl. To insult the leaders of the opposing party is always fair game. But to start slinging terms of hatred and race around is moral depravity and despicable. She has done more harm then good for her side. To prove that she has crossed the line, the democrats are using her hate speech as a ralling cry to drum up more funds and support. She used to be very good at what she did, using her scalpel wit to carve up the opposing side, now it just appears she is going for shock value. :no:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 18
No top replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
@Dmizer,
Like most demogogues she does it for the ego. It is easier to talk loudly and call names than it is to offer a rational alternative and even if your rhetoric is superior it doesn't mean your logic is...
If I was one of the deeply conservative main stream Americans she says she caters to I would really hate the **** for wasting the political capital it took conservatives 20 years to build starting with uncle Ronnie in the 80s.
but as it is I just find her to be an annoying self absorbed bully who is driving right of center moderates away from her party as fast as they can read or listen to her words
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 06:53 pm
@Dmizer,
She is Michael Moore of the right. Everyone just rolls their eyes when she opens her mouth and wishes she would just shut up.

I can't stand her. Al though I thought it was funny she called him a fag Very Happy
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 07:14 pm
@Dmizer,
I never thought of it that way, but your right..It makes sense. It was funny to be sure, but it was funny in a Junior High gym class kind of way.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2007 10:21 pm
@Dmizer,
Nice when you can't call out someone for going into rehab from saying a word "faggot" but you can wishfully hope the visepresident dead after a failed attack when he was visiting in Iraq? Where is the MSM on that?
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 12:06 pm
@Dmizer,
Wishing anyone dead for the sake of politics is wrong, but venting in a blog is a lot different from making statements in public. If you want to be taken seriously then make serious arguments. If you want to be known as an unprincipled bar room brawler then do what she does...call people a *** because of political stands they make...
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 01:44 pm
@Dmizer,
Drnaline wrote:
"Nice when you can't call out someone for going into rehab from saying a word "***" but you can wishfully hope the visepresident dead after a failed attack when he was visiting in Iraq? Where is the MSM on that?"

What does this have to do with what Coulter said? First of all, Two wrongs don't make a right. So stay on the subject of what Coulter said and do not try to hi jack the thread. If some one else said something as stupid as wishing someone dead then they deserve to be shamed also. (which I sure If I searched for the thread, I could find that it was already covered) Second, if Coulter wishes to be associated with the higher moral ground that she claims to be associated with, then she can't resort to language of hate. The reason people resort to this type of name calling occurs when thier hatred over comes their common sense. She is damaged goods. Her true colors have surfaced, she and David Duke should go and spend some time together, I am sure they would get along famously.
rhopper3

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 02:44 pm
@Dmizer,
well said
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 06:45 pm
@Dmizer,
Dmizer;11757 wrote:
Drnaline wrote:
"Nice when you can't call out someone for going into rehab from saying a word "***" but you can wishfully hope the visepresident dead after a failed attack when he was visiting in Iraq? Where is the MSM on that?"

What does this have to do with what Coulter said? First of all, Two wrongs don't make a right. So stay on the subject of what Coulter said and do not try to hi jack the thread. If some one else said something as stupid as wishing someone dead then they deserve to be shamed also. (which I sure If I searched for the thread, I could find that it was already covered) Second, if Coulter wishes to be associated with the higher moral ground that she claims to be associated with, then she can't resort to language of hate. The reason people resort to this type of name calling occurs when thier hatred over comes their common sense. She is damaged goods. Her true colors have surfaced, she and David Duke should go and spend some time together, I am sure they would get along famously.
Bill Maher Sorry the Assassination Attempt on Dick Cheney Failed | NewsBusters.org

In 2002, ABC decided not to renew Bill Maher's contract apparently due to some disgraceful comments he made on his program "Politically Incorrect" following the 9/11 attacks. After what transpired on "Real Time" Friday, the heads of HBO should be equally outraged, if not more.

As the discussion moved to the attempted assassination of Vice President Cheney last week, Maher asked his panel why it was necessary for the Huffington Post to remove comments by readers concerning their disappointment that the attempt failed. As the conversation ensued, Maher said one of the most disgraceful and irresponsible things uttered on a major television program since Bush was elected.

In a nutshell, the host said the world would be a safer place if the assassination attempt succeeded. And, he even had the nerve to reiterate it. Here’s the deplorable sequence of events for those that have the stomach for it (video available here courtesy of our friend Ms Underestimated):

Both statements are deemed offensive, Coulter you new about, Maher you probably didn't? Coulter is conservative and maher is definately not. One is reported on mass, the other most people haven't heard of it. If the MSM was doing there job you would of know about them both? But they are biased, which is my point. What is good for the goose isn't good for the gander.
I also believe talking about like offenses even it they are not about Ann Coulter is staying within the topic.
Faggot in the context of how she used it is not hate speech either, IMO
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2007 07:13 pm
@Dmizer,
She's over-the-top. Her arguments don't make sense. BUT, we need her. She's a strategic weapon.:headbang:
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 03:43 pm
@Dmizer,
First of all, her analysis is pretty much accurate. You've never read much of her writing if you disagree, really. The left-wing media is going to portray her as like Michael Moore.

Of course she says what she says for money, but she's still right.

And I think she said of Edwards something like "I'd talk about him but you have to go to rehab for using the word 'faggot' so I won't.", or something to the effect. It was a joke. And talking about Bill Maher is totally relevant, if you want to criticize one side, criticize the other.
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 04:59 pm
@Dmizer,
What little I have read of her is rhetorically powerful as you would expect but logically flawed.
You can spin it however you want. Rather than use logic to call Edwards weak or naive or even unmanly which is still a junior high gym class insult but maybe at least relevant she called him a ***.
She did it in a way that is a text book way, and I mean that literally, of avoiding the outright use of fighting words or hate speech but she meant it.
Catering to your economic base to make money is nothing new in media everybody does it, left right and center, and the rash of rehab check ins by celebrities to avoid PR problems is worthy of satire, but there are and should be limits. Are we making to much of it, probably and it is probably exactly what she had planned
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 06:10 pm
@Dmizer,
Here is what she said:
Quote:
"I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but it turns out you have to go into rehab if you use the word 'faggot,' So... kind of at an impass, can't really talk about Edwards so i think i'll conclude here and take your questions"
I've used the long and short version of the word many times but i have yet to use it with the intension of degrading a homosexual. I take it to mean a wuss, wimp, crybaby, whiner, etc.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 7 Mar, 2007 07:48 pm
@Dmizer,
I like having her on our side, but she's a skunk, and her antics are often disgusting.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 08:44 am
@Dmizer,
She can and does go over the edge. I find most of her stuff humorous but not hateful. She is not more rude the a couple of very liberal friends of mine who happen to be of the homo as opposed to hetero persuasion. The comments they have made go far beyond any thing Coulter has ever said.
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:02 pm
@Dmizer,
If Ann Coulter isn't exempt from criticism because she's and entertainer, then none of the left's satirists are, which puts the left in a very bad position.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 04:37 pm
@Dmizer,
FOXNews.com - Newspapers Pull Ann Coulter's Column Over John Edwards 'Faggot' Comment - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Maybe she will shut up now. Wish they would put this pressure on Maher.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 05:16 pm
@Dmizer,
Ann Coulter, shut up! Never.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Thu 8 Mar, 2007 06:47 pm
@Dmizer,
I hate the things Maher says. I truly do. There are times I feel the urge to knock him out.:beat:
0 Replies