Ex-soldiers break `silence' on Israeli excesses

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
Ex-soldiers break `silence' on Israeli excesses and www.breakthesilence.org.il) exists to break two kinds of silences: "First, the soldiers keep quiet and, then Israeli society keeps quiet.

"We provide the tools for people to understand the deeply woven moral corruption and numbness of what we do (in the Occupied Territories). It's like a slide; once you start going down, you keep going down.

"There's no such thing as a benign or an enlightened occupation. You can't be an occupier and not be an occupier."

Shaul's overall message:

"The issue is not the right of Israel to exist but rather, does it have the right to occupy Palestinian lands and control civilians as it has for 40 years?"

Shaul said he has been well-received in North America, even though some did criticize him.

But, "you can't really criticize me because I am an Israeli who has served in the army."

He's much more: a courageous citizen of Israeli democracy.

Source: TheStar.com - opinion - Ex-soldiers break `silence' on Israeli excesses
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,363 • Replies: 13
No top replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 09:24 am
@z0z0,
Another article about the same guy

Israeli Soldiers Break the Silence
[Interview] Veteran Yehuda Shaul shares his experiences in Hebron
Christopher Brown (christo)
Published 2006-11-01 16:20 (KST)

(excerpt)
Games Children Play

One thing that Shaul comments on is that when one is in the occupied territories, things might seem exciting at first but over time the soldiers tend to get bored, they become numb to the situation around them. "Eight hours on eight hours off, you start to get bored so you begin to make things a game" he says. "You start to aim your rifle at kids and see them through the scope of your rifle and take a picture. Then you aim at your friends and take a picture. The rifle is no longer a killing machine, the rifle becomes a part of your game, the way to pass on time."

http://image.ohmynews.com/down/images/1/christo_326211_1%5B541472%5D.jpghttp://image.ohmynews.com/down/images/1/christo_326211_1%5B541473%5D.jpg
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 11:51 am
@z0z0,
Interesting insight into what goes on behind the scenes .:cool:
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:39 pm
@z0z0,
People wonder why the Palestinians are so pissed at the Israelis. Now we know. The Palestinians live in Ghettos which have little of no economic viability. To top it all off they are then treated like **** by the IDF. No wonder there are all the problems we hear about.

Seems that the Israelis learned well from the Nazis and even exceeded them in some respects.
Brent cv

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:46 pm
@z0z0,
z0z0;9218 wrote:
People wonder why the Palestinians are so pissed at the Israelis. Now we know. The Palestinians live in Ghettos which have little of no economic viability. To top it all off they are then treated like **** by the IDF. No wonder there are all the problems we hear about.

Seems that the Israelis learned well from the Nazis and even exceeded them in some respects.

Yea no wonder. It's all Israel's fault. Not any fault at all in the guys that keep blowing themselves up in Israel and refusing to take a peaceful road.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2007 04:53 pm
@z0z0,
You must look at the history of the area.

1. The Israelis were the first terrorists in the area - read up on it
2. The Israelis stole more land than they were allocated by the Brits and UN - read up on it
3. The Israelis keep stealing more land - read up on "The Wall"
4. Palestinians are kept in refugee ghettos - no wonder they are pissed

Tell me if you understand why Black Americans are pissed at American society.
Why did the LA riots happen?

You must look at things from a Palestinian perspective to understand.
Stop believing the BS that you are being fed by the Israel Lobby.
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:24 pm
@z0z0,
blame anyone for taking extreme measures against them. They're simply psychotic, and have no right to expect decency from the people they attack. :no:
z0z0

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;9442 wrote:
blame anyone for taking extreme measures against them. They're simply psychotic, and have no right to expect decency from the people they attack. :no:

50 years ago people were probably saying the same thing about the Zionist terrorists.

Let me propose a new viewpoint

"Fanatical Terrorists"? Is your opinion from what is happening in the real world or did you start watching the new season of 24?

What has happened lately that is really terrorism?
Could this just be a modern version of the Burning of the Reichstag?
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Tue 16 Jan, 2007 11:28 pm
@z0z0,
zOzO , do you deny that the people causing so much of the current insurgency in Iraq are fanatics ?
Do you deny that they are terrorists ?
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:12 pm
@z0z0,
barbarians. It was made for barbarians, and in turn helped keep the barbarians who embraced it, barbaric. I have no sympathy for Islam. I don't play the political correctness game, either. Islam has shown no inclination to promote human rights or any other facet of Civilization. The Christian West should make no compromises in dealing with it. It is NOT a peace-loving religion or world society. It's misogynistic and hideously backward.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 17 Jan, 2007 06:45 pm
@z0z0,
I can agree with some of that , as it relates to extremists , but in my experience with Muslims and the Middle east , and I do have some experience in that regard , the everyday Muslim is not barbarian , and has as much regard for human rights and dignity as we do . The extremists who are being heard from now are the ones that are barbaric .
My real wish is that the everyday Muslim would speak out more and stand against those extremists .
0 Replies

Sherman cv

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 02:31 pm
@z0z0,
:blah: You can post any document or article about how justified are to crucifie Israel....Bu to cut it short, Palestinians are ruthless creatures with no honour and dignity, racist and intolerant to the existence of no -muslims culture......The fact that they voted HAMAS as governament, it says it all!!!:no: :FU2: Israel know how to deal with those ignorant loony loosers, they have been preparing themselves all their lives..You got to have balls and stamina to live close to those bastards....Very Happy :rocketwhore: :devilheadbang:
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Thu 25 Jan, 2007 03:54 pm
@z0z0,
I believe both sides should hang their head in shame. Israel has a right to exists and until the Palestian people accept that fact nothing is going to change. Palestine has been offered peace in the past and they declined, I am begining to believe they are so entrenched into the life of "Warfare" that they can't exists in a peaceful environment. The Palestinians voted for a terrorist organization to run their country, and now they are suffering untold hell for their democratic right to elect a leader.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:27 pm
@z0z0,
Quote:
--zozo

Yah no ZOZO, the palestines have been given a country. If they can't make it a viable and profitable bustling centre of metro-money than why on earth do they whine about the ISRAELIS? tHE country has been TURNED into a ghetto, and thye have turned to terrorists, instead of concentrating on making their huge plot of land into something profitable, and instead of playing nice with their neighbours, and instead of taking all the endless opportunities of peaceful negotiation, they have consistantly made choices which have cost them more then they figured.

They have brought on a lot of outrage from the world when hours of seemingly endless international effort has gone into getting the Palestininan territory settled and ready for peace and prosperity and then the nit-whits, in bed with terrorist groups funded by Iran, shoot bombs into home, killing babies and innocent children in bed!!!!!

I have no sympathy for Palestine, and once l did.

So even when l see this sobering view of how war effects and twists your psyche, this is an effect that hits all soldiers, from the meanest to the most innocent. And it does not change the terrible torture, rape, murder and crime that is the actual religious practice of the Islamists.

THE author of this is bound by a religion that does NOT promote the above and thus has penetrated the minds and heart of these soldiers, and for that we can clearly see a religion of goodness that does eventually shine through the human mistakes that are made in war.

The Palestine's are largely Islamists and vowed to a cult-following of a doctorine that encompasses "SATANIC VERSES" AND fATWA'S that instruct people to NEVER END the blaming, the hatred or the violence...ie. wipe ISRAEL OFF THE MAP.

So, Palestine is a ghetto because they fail to be grateful for having prime ocean side real estate in which to bring prosperity and peace to their people who are basically nomads. They continue to follow the teachings of hatred and the orders of FATWAS to murder and torture in the name of Allah, the moon god.
0 Replies