Pelosi: Bush lacks power to invade Iran

mousy

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:48 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) said Thursday that President Bush lacks the authority to invade Iran without specific approval from Congress, a fresh challenge to the commander in chief on the eve of a symbolic vote critical of his troop buildup in Iraq.

Pelosi, D-Calif., noted that Bush consistently said he supports a diplomatic resolution to differences with Iran "and I take him at his word."

At the same time, she said, "I do believe that Congress should assert itself, though, and make it very clear that there is no previous authority for the president, any president, to go into Iran."WASHINGTON - House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (news, bio, voting record) said Thursday that President Bush lacks the authority to invade Iran without specific approval from Congress, a fresh challenge to the commander in chief on the eve of a symbolic vote critical of his troop buildup in Iraq.

Pelosi, D-Calif., noted that Bush consistently said he supports a diplomatic resolution to differences with Iran "and I take him at his word."

At the same time, she said, "I do believe that Congress should assert itself, though, and make it very clear that there is no previous authority for the president, any president, to go into Iran."

Pelosi: Bush lacks power to invade Iran - Yahoo! News
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,472 • Replies: 18
No top replies

mousy

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 05:58 pm
@mousy,
Quote:
At the same time, she said, "I do believe that Congress should assert itself, though, and make it very clear that there is no previous authority for the president, any president, to go into Iran."

If Hillary should win the election...On this issue..Does Hillary feel as Pelosi...

I can see Bill Clinton recording the catfights already
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:15 pm
@mousy,
I almost had a heart attack. How could Pelosi possible criticize Pres. Bush? They're like, total BFF's. Oh, well, since Pelosi pretty much is god, I guess we have to accept her word as indisputable truth...
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:44 pm
@mousy,
"BFF" ??????
Is thatr one of those texting codes I don't know about ?
0 Replies

Reagaknight

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 07:53 pm
@mousy,
Hahahahahaha... Curmudgeon, it's an abbreviation that young/teenage girls, you know, the really... I'll say 'perky' ones, use nowadays. Stands for 'best friend(s) forever'.

Obviously, my entire post was pure sarcasm
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 10:06 pm
@mousy,
Bush has all the authority he needs to drop a few bombs.
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 11:44 pm
@mousy,
Pelosi lacks balls (literally) to stand up against an enemy
0 Replies

USA All The Way

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 10:21 am
@mousy,
lmao ole pelosies wils see here end reel soons mi sayes. ole hill wels dat wils be a baddie fer shur, a lesbo ands a ho masters in da whites house, oh me i cans onlie magines dat a one lol:beat:
NaterG

Reply Fri 16 Feb, 2007 03:04 pm
@USA All The Way,
USA All The Way;11075 wrote:
lmao ole pelosies wils see here end reel soons mi sayes. ole hill wels dat wils be a baddie fer shur, a lesbo ands a ho masters in da whites house, oh me i cans onlie magines dat a one lol:beat:

English mother ******, do you speak it???

Damn man! What the hell? Is it that difficult to type out coherent sentences. I don't even know what language that is. That is worse than the worst bastardization (ie ebonics, ect.) of the english language (if that is even what these seemingly random letters of yours are even based after)

On the topic. Pelosi just likes to talk big. When it comes time to act, we will see her true colors.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 04:54 pm
@USA All The Way,
USA All The Way;11075 wrote:

LOL I understood what you wrote, I think I need a little lie down after reading that post.:p
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Sat 17 Feb, 2007 07:40 pm
@mousy,
NaterG , I agree . Brent warned him once , I wish he would straighten up . He has posted in English at least once or twice , so I know he can .
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sun 18 Feb, 2007 10:09 am
@mousy,
The Democrats are posturing for political effect. They won't be able to get the U.S. out of the Middle East, either, after they take control of our government next year. They know it, but many American voters don't. It's just a smoke-screen to make points for the moment. In fact, I expect Hillary, et al, to expand the U.S. military presence in the Middle East, once they're decisively in charge and in confrontation with the real power-brokers behind American foreign policy -- ZIONISTS. Just wait and see. Those who are doves today will become hawks tomorrow.:FU1:
0 Replies

rhopper3

Reply Mon 19 Feb, 2007 01:28 pm
@mousy,
No Bush does not have the power to declare war, but unfortunately he does have the ability to take military action. It seems he is likely going to stall until the next pres takes office. Remember Nixon, JFK and LBJ, they played the same game Hillary is playing now and may end up taking the same actions. I doubt it but I see the logic in the claim. That doesn't change the fact that GWB was the one responsibile for this mess.
About the zioniost get a new line. All nations have lobbys and Israel is no exception and yes there is a huge Jewish Lobby with considerable pull but there is also a huge Mexican lobby and a huge Irish lobby, and an agriculture lobby, which was at one time so powerful they wrote books about it. This lobby pulled down huge subsidies (by American standards) for agriculture when farmers represented a small proportion of the population. It's modern interest group politics, they call it pluralism and is here to stay for the near future
I'm not a huge fan of old Hill but the reason we have her is because you have the uuuhhhh individual in the white house. Get rid of him and all his buddies and prosecute some of them and we'll talk about hiring some perky All American cheerleader you can live with. Yes she's a bitch, buts that a good thing, because when she threatens to blow somebody up (pardon the pun) they'll believe it
0 Replies

mik60487

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 02:54 pm
@mousy,
Yes as President he does have the authority to commence hostilities but does the United States still have the capacity to engage in new adventures?
Where do we find the boots to put on the ground,the sophisticated weapons to deploy. Ya all do know that PGM's are expensive and the inventory of same is subject to rapid emptying if and when WAR is started. The stock of
deployable tanks,guns,bullets when it is difficult to armor HUMVIES is a matter
of some concern. The readiness of our forces as evidenced by the effort to this time is a matter of import and concern only to be ignored at our peril.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Mon 26 Feb, 2007 10:46 pm
@mousy,
We have 2.3 million troops. We can move the ones from Bosnia/Kosovo or numerous other places.
0 Replies

mik60487

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 11:47 am
@mousy,
Granted that 2.3 million are available how many will you propose leave Korea.
Japan,Germany, Okinawa and other Outpost? How many serving in the Navy,
Coast Guard, and Air Force of this 2.3 million are trained and prepared for a ground combat role, not very many of those groups? Please respond with numbers not empty rhetoric.
rhopper3

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:08 pm
@mousy,
I think we should regroup and rearm the entire military structure.
Other the most basic humanitarin concerns its time we strated looking after ourselves instead of trying to bring enlightment to an unwilling world.
Regardless of whether you favored the Iraq invasion and whether you believe the military is strained to the breaking point it is obvious it is stressed and in need of a refusion of manpower and equipment that cannot be accomplished while we are in Iraq or preparing to invade Iran.
I was never a fan if the Iraq war and less of military action in Iran, but it is only politics and the lack of political will and the fact that our military is stretched thin, perhaps not to the breaking point but thin none the less, that is holding the Bushies back from attacking Iran.
It would mean some form of conscription although probably in limited form, tax increases and many more casualties than anyone with sense should be willing to tolerate.
Leave Iraq put what we can spare in Afghanistan and meet our minimum obligations elsehwhere and bring the rest home, regroup and rearm.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 27 Feb, 2007 12:33 pm
@mousy,
Iraq is a front to distract terrorists from the mainland, at least that is what it is serving as. Removing that line of defense, were will the next one be? A little closer to home?
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 28 Feb, 2007 11:28 am
@mik60487,
mik60487;11473 wrote:
Granted that 2.3 million are available how many will you propose leave Korea.
Japan,Germany, Okinawa and other Outpost? How many serving in the Navy,
Coast Guard, and Air Force of this 2.3 million are trained and prepared for a ground combat role, not very many of those groups? Please respond with numbers not empty rhetoric.
I'm waiting for the Generals to get back to me, then i'll let you know. If the **** hit the fan i suppose alot of them would be moved to where ever they are needed. It don't take much brains to fire a gun, every one of them was trained for combat in one form or another(i think they call it basic training), so you can draw your own numbers. I
0 Replies