Russian Says U.S. Expansion a Threat

mousy

Reply Fri 9 Feb, 2007 10:08 pm
Saturday February 10, 2007 3:16 AM

By VLADIMIR ISACHENKOV

Associated Press Writer

MOSCOW (AP) - Russia's top military officer said the United States is expanding its economic, political and military presence in Russia's traditional zones of influence and described that as the top national security threat, the latest signal of a growing chill in relations.

Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky, chief of the military's General Staff, said Russia now faces even greater military threats than during the Cold War and the nation needs a new military doctrine to respond to these challenges, according to a speech posted on the Defense Ministry's Web site Friday.

``Russia's cooperation with the West on the basis of forming common or close strategic interests hasn't helped its military security,'' Baluyevsky said in the speech, delivered at a recent security conference in Moscow. ``Moreover, the situation in many regions of the world which are vitally important for Russia and near its borders has sometimes become more difficult.''

Russian-U.S. ties have worsened steadily over disagreements on Iraq and other global crises, and U.S. concerns about an increasingly authoritarian streak in Russia's domestic policy and strong-arming of ex-Soviet neighbors.

Baluyevsky referred to what he called ``the U.S. military leadership's course aimed at maintaining its global leadership and expanding its economic, political and military presence in Russia's traditional zones of influence'' as a top threat for Russia's national security.

Russian President Vladimir Putin has reacted angrily to U.S. plans to deploy missile defense sites in Poland and the Czech Republic, saying Moscow does not trust U.S. claims they were aimed to counter missile threats from Iran and will take relevant countermeasures. Both countries are former Soviet satellites that became NATO members.

Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, meanwhile, said Russia would find an ``intellectual response'' to the U.S. move and not plunge into a new arms race, according to an interview with Germany's Der Spiegel magazine posted on the ministry's Web site Friday.

Russian officials have assailed the United States and its NATO allies for their refusal to ratify an amended version of the Conventional Forces in Europe treaty which regulates the deployment of military aircraft, tanks and other heavy non-nuclear weapons around the continent.

Russia has ratified the amended version of the treaty signed in 1999, but the United States and other NATO members have refused to do that until Russia abides by its commitment to withdraw troops from the ex-Soviet republics of Moldova and Georgia.

Russia said the link was irrelevant, and threatened to opt out of the treaty.

In remarks posted Friday, Lavrov said that the failure to ratify the amended document had ``led to very serious imbalances between the armed forces,'' since the arsenals of former Soviet allies which that have joined NATO were counted alongside Soviet weapons in the original 1990 CFE Treaty.

Amid growing distrust of U.S. intentions, Russia's lawmakers and commentators reacted nervously to comments by U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates naming Russia as a potential threat.

``We don't know what's going to develop in places like Russia and China, in North Korea, in Iran and elsewhere,'' Gates told a House of Representatives committee meeting earlier this week, according to a Pentagon transcript.

The daily newspaper Gazeta on Friday said that Gates' statement could ``go down to history books as a starting point for a new twist of the Cold War.''

Viktor Ozerov, the head of the defense committee in Russia's upper house of parliament, said Gates' comments signaled ``U.S. attempts to draw our nation into a new arms race,'' the Interfax news agency quoted him as saying. ``We will have to find an asymmetrical response.''

Russian Says U.S. Expansion a Threat | World Latest | Guardian Unlimited
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,359 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 01:55 am
@mousy,
If Russia would prevent Muslim Extremists from taking over Europe then we wouldn't have to do anything. However they won't. So screw them. They don't do a damn thing to improve this world. What do they do other than provide Vodka? Not a thing.
Tulip cv

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 06:50 am
@mousy,
HA! I agree, well said, SALUTE!
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 02:57 pm
@mousy,
suspicious. America is such a confused country, I wouldn't trust her either, if I were a foreign national leader. America behaves like a senseless, spoiled brat. Her mood changes every five minutes, as do her foreign and public policies. She starts wars she has no will to win or keep fighting. She squanders hundreds of billions of dollars on foolish enterprises worldwide. Her leadership radically changes every eight years. She can't be trusted, despite her best intentions. Her strength -- freedom -- is also her weakness. She once thrived by it, but it will soon kill her, unfortunately.:no:
Brent cv

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 03:41 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;10643 wrote:
suspicious. America is such a confused country, I wouldn't trust her either, if I were a foreign national leader. America behaves like a senseless, spoiled brat. Her mood changes every five minutes, as do her foreign and public policies. She starts wars she has no will to win or keep fighting. She squanders hundreds of billions of dollars on foolish enterprises worldwide. Her leadership radically changes every eight years. She can't be trusted, despite her best intentions. Her strength -- freedom -- is also her weakness. She once thrived by it, but it will soon kill her, unfortunately.:no:

Tell me a country that can do what you say America can't. You can't. No one else will step up to the plate. I'd rather have "radical" change every 8 years (which isn't even radical at all. Can we say over exaggeration?) than some idiot like Putin for god knows how long.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 04:55 pm
@mousy,
Putin is a little wierd anyway, let's just say he has a little something for little boys...

Quote:
Putin "belly kissing" a little boy in a Kremlin courtyard, June 28, 2006.On June 28, 2006 Putin, while walking by a small crowd of tourists in a Kremlin courtyard, gave a "belly kiss" to a young boy of five or six years old. As he talked with the boy for a few seconds, he tugged at the boy's shirt before finally lifting it up and kissing him on his bare stomach. This raised a few eyebrows around the world.

I couldn't copy the picture but here it is on wikipedia...and notice the embarrassed wierd look on the kid who is standing there scratching his head as if to say "huh?"

Vladimir Putin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the poor child...if l were his parent l would demand payment for sexual assualting and emotionally harming a child...sicko...
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Sat 10 Feb, 2007 07:02 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;10643 wrote:

Stop painting all of the American people with the same brush, heads up sunshine Bush is but one "Man". As for senseless, spoiled brat that's what you sound like. Here's your sookie hunny.

America could win the war, but it would require bombing the **** out of "innocents" you know the people killed daily by Muslims waging a holy war visa vie Shite/Sunni. At least "She" has a conscience.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Wed 14 Feb, 2007 11:43 pm
@mousy,
"Her leadership radically changes every eight years."

Not really , perhaps this time it might be a radical change if the Democrats actually manage to get enough of their plans to actually take place .
In the past , the changes of government in the US have been so slight as to be transparent to the rest of the world . Not since the days of isolationism have we been much different from administration to administration . Some have been more active than others , but the focus of America has been to work for peace for a long time .
I think this is much better than many European governments that can change several times in several years due to the governments being the result of thin coalitions of several parties that can and do split from time to time and the government has to be re-formed , including elections and throwing out of leaders .
Britain , for example could change in just a few weeks if the leader's coalition breaks up .
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Thu 15 Feb, 2007 01:44 pm
@mousy,
What I'd like to see change in world leaders is could they please stop being so damn loyal to a party and transfer that loyality to your country and it's people. I'm down to my last nerve with politicians, they put their political party beit left/right first and foremost and that's not what I elected them to do. I'm tired of this form of leadership, where did all the great politicians go?????????????? Jail most likely.
0 Replies

g-man

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 12:45 am
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;10643 wrote:

America's leadership only appears to be confused right now because they don't have the evil empire to toy with anymore. When the enemy is well defined, look out. Dumocrats and Republcons will unite and woe unto those who would tinker with her. The changing of the guard every eight years is what keeps this nation strong. Lest some freak politician consider himself ruler. that is the beginning of turmoil and perhaps the end of the greatest of nations.
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 11:28 pm
@g-man,
"America will never fall to foreign might, but she will fall to her own accord"
-me
0 Replies

Pinochet73

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:03 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent;10617 wrote:
If Russia would prevent Muslim Extremists from taking over Europe then we wouldn't have to do anything. However they won't. So screw them. They don't do a damn thing to improve this world. What do they do other than provide Vodka? Not a thing.

Russia is a frig'n mess. Expansion on its part is fake, because it can't get its own house in order, for reasons you just cited, among many others. Russia's only leverage points are its nuke arsenal, and maybe its oil, although I doubt the latter is enough to allow it to win over traditional enemies, such as the Chinese.:thumbdown:
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 10:15 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent;10617 wrote:

Even though I know you probably won't look at this thread again as is is almost a year old...

How is it Russia job to police Europe, and make sure they do not get taken over by muslims?
Fatal Freedoms

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2007 11:56 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;49407 wrote:
Even though I know you probably won't look at this thread again as is is almost a year old...

How is it Russia job to police Europe, and make sure they do not get taken over by muslims?

I was thinking the same about the United States...
92b16vx

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 12:24 am
@Fatal Freedoms,
Fatal_Freedoms;49417 wrote:
I was thinking the same about the United States...

Yea, I think the same thing very often. I am really disgusted with the agenda the neocons, and democrats seem to have concerning spreading their version of moral highground to places that do not want, and can not comprehend it. Actually, it would not disgust me as much IF, we could take care of ourselves, and had rid our society of crime, and social strife for all citizens. Unfortunately, our politicians have locked us up into a myriad of unwinnable wars on it's on citizens in an effort to attempt to force the serfs into their thought process, and have made the situation MUCH, MUCH worse, so who are we to pretend we are a role model for the world?
0 Replies

DurtySanches

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 09:57 am
@mousy,
Quote:
so who are we to pretend we are a role model for the world?
The baddest mutha fucka's on the planet.
Pinochet73

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2007 07:59 pm
@DurtySanches,
The Ruskies, although hopelessly corrupt and cruel, have done a noteworthy job of fighting radical Islam. Sure, the war in Chechnya was a horrible nightmare for all sides concerned, but at least Russians fought back. You have to hand it to them. I know......I know.......it was as recently as the 1980s that we armed the dreadful Mujahadeen to the teeth, in their colossal struggle against the Russians. Times change, themes change, and so do your enemies. Get some. :headbang::headbang::headbang:
0 Replies