What type of Conservative are you?

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:06 am
The Economist published a short list of issues which really divide conservatives. It seems that we're all trapped in the Republican Party because well, the Democrats are unimaginably worse.

The four areas of disagreement identified by The Economist were:

Small-government conservatives v big-government conservatives

Mr Bush has embraced all sorts of big-government programmes (from super-charging the Department of Education to creating the huge new Medicare drug entitlement) while trying to keep small-government conservatives on side with tax cuts. But this was a formula for fiscal disaster. It also failed to placate purists who believe that the federal government has no business running schools or pushing pills to pensioners.

Conservatives of faith v conservatives of doubt

Doubters don't think that the federal government should interfere in people's private lives. They don't want Washington, DC, meddling in states' rights to legalise euthanasia or medical marijuana. Conservatives of faith believe that the federal government should encourage civic virtue. Under Mr Bush they have had the upper hand. The Justice Department has been aggressive in imposing its views on the states. The poster child of the conservative movement on Capitol Hill at the moment is Senator Rick Santorum, a staunch advocate of family values.

Insurgent conservatives v establishment conservatives

The conservative movement, rooted in the South and west, has been deeply hostile to Washington, DC. But electoral success has created a Washington-based Republican establishment, which spends its time doling out goodies to its buddies and expanding federal power. Mr Bush has managed this relationship by presenting himself as an anti-Washington Washingtonian: the son of a president who prefers to spend his time in Texas. The insurgent wing seems increasingly unconvinced.

Business conservatives v religious conservatives

The latter are waiting keenly to see whom Mr Bush appoints next to the Supreme Court. Business conservatives are worried that religious people have already got too much. Mr Bush's stance on stem-cell research will cost America its competitive edge in biotechnology. Add to this their concerns about Mr Bush's reckless fiscal policy and you have the making of a business revolt. Robert Novak, a conservative pundit, recently described a cacophony of Bush-bashing at a plutocratic get-together in Aspen.

Neo-conservatives v traditional conservatives
  • Small-government conservative
  • Conservative of doubt
  • Insurgent conservative
  • Business conservative
  • Neo-conservative

Where do you fit in the big conservative picture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,376 • Replies: 15
No top replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:54 am
@WillSpencer,
I have never heard of a insurgent conservative. Interesting.

Republicans like to make up their own definitions I guess.
WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:06 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5959 wrote:
I have never heard of a insurgent conservative. Interesting.

Think: Barry Goldwater.

tumbleweed;5959 wrote:
Republicans like to make up their own definitions I guess.

This list was made by The Economist, which is an excellent British magazine. No Republicans contributed to making this list. Very Happy
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:17 am
@WillSpencer,
Barry Goldwater ? Very Happy

I got the impression he was more of a Neo-con.

So the term insurgent conservative comes from Britian?
WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 08:53 am
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5963 wrote:
I got the impression he was more of a Neo-con.

They are different categories. That's like saying that an object is round and blue. An object can be both. You get to pick one of the two options from each category.

Where do you fit?
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:02 am
@WillSpencer,
None of the above.Very Happy

I've never heard of a insurgent conservative . Actually I think most of the Republicans are Neo-Cons.
0 Replies

WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 09:54 am
@WillSpencer,
Your statement makes no sense.

You can be an insurgent conservative and a neoconservative, or you can be an establishment conservative and a traditional conservative, or you can be an insurgent conservative and a traditional conservative, or you can be a establishment conservative and a neoconservative.

The two are not opposites, they are different aspects of conservatism.

I'm not sure how to explain this in any simpler terms. You might want to re-read this thread from the beginning.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 11:22 am
@WillSpencer,
No, I read enough. I don't really care to analyze the Republican party. I stated my view as someone who has seen them in action. You can put them in any catagory you like. I'm just curious to see how the Republicans here see themselves. Very Happy

This is a Republican thread. I just needed some clarification on the terms you are using.
Sherman cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 12:38 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Hi Guy i would like to have your opinion..
Does really make a difference who runs the govenament?

Where US stands (Foreign Policy,The Kyoto Treaty, and Muslim Expansion, which could means more radicals muslims terrorists threat around the world) is really so wrong?

Whats the political difference between democrats and republican in your country?

From my not - american point of view, i see Bush as a truly american who cares about his country, he want fight his enemies, so he'll do anything to protect it. He does not care about other countries opinion because this others are more concentrate to villify US as imperialist than recognize mutual common ground:defend our religious, social and economical societies, to live in peace, produce a dignify and happy existence plus dealing with internal affairs...It sounds fear to me!:peace:
WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:55 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
tumbleweed;5967 wrote:
No, I read enough. I don't really care to analyze the Republican party.

Then perhaps this is not the thread for you.
WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:57 pm
@Sherman cv,
Sherman;5971 wrote:
Hi Guy i would like to have your opinion..
Does really make a difference who runs the govenament?

Where US stands (Foreign Policy,The Kyoto Treaty, and Muslim Expansion, which could means more radicals muslims terrorists threat around the world) is really so wrong?

Whats the political difference between democrats and republican in your country?

From my not - american point of view, i see Bush as a truly american who cares about his country, he want fight his enemies, so he'll do anything to protect it. He does not care about other countries opinion because this others are more concentrate to villify US as imperialist than recognize mutual common ground:defend our religious, social and economical societies, to live in peace, produce a dignify and happy existence plus dealing with internal affairs...It sounds fear to me!:peace:

Moderators, can we split this out to a seperate thread?
0 Replies

tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:59 pm
@WillSpencer,
Will.Spencer;5984 wrote:
Then perhaps this is not the thread for you.

You don't mind if I read it do you?:cig:
0 Replies

WillSpencer

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:01 pm
@WillSpencer,
If you had read, instead of responding -- or even in addition to responding -- it would have been far more polite.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 07:08 pm
@WillSpencer,
Will.Spencer;5988 wrote:
If you had read, instead of responding -- or even in addition to responding -- it would have been far more polite.

That's why I asked the question about insurgent conservatives.:439:
0 Replies

htmlmaster

Reply Fri 27 Oct, 2006 08:33 pm
@WillSpencer,
I'm kind of neutral towards big vs. small, but I lean towards big government. I don't quite understand the faith vs. doubt thing, but I'm against marijuana and euthanasia. More establishment than insurgent, and I lean towards business, but I'm still a strong religious Conservative. Finally, I'm definitely neo-Conservative.
0 Replies

WillSpencer

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 04:46 pm
@WillSpencer,
That's interesting to me because we disagree in three out of four areas, but we're still stuck in the same political party because the Democrats are just frighteningly stupid.
0 Replies