Back To the Present, Though I Hope Not the Future

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:19 pm
Watching the intense drama of the upcoming campaign unfold and the nastiness quotient mount, as the Bush White House is beset with one charge after another, I began to remininisce and reflect on recent and not-so-recent times.

In the 80s on the radio Reagan acolytes like Lynn Nofziger always complained, "That's unfair!" Besides some kind of "You should feel sorry for us who always play fair" whining, it always struck me as code - "The Gipper always won it for us, and he did it fair and square." We Americans play fair. Hopalong Cassidy admonishes the Mexican bandit, "Where I come from we don't use knives," and pulls out his gun and shoots the Mexican.

To fend off critics, Reagan used the snotty, impatient, tch-tch, tilting-bobbing head; patronizing, grandfatherly petulance. Clinton did a little of this in his own way as well, but he has a good mind, is able to assimilate vast quantities of information and make a decent judgment from it all. And his skill in debate and that irritating quality of being-in-command all enraged Republicans - he had donned SOME of the moves of their precious Great Communicator, who in reality was the Great Dissimulator.

(Remember Iran Contra, the trumped-up claim of having brought down the Soviet Union himself, and -- more code -- Reagan kicking off his campaign in 1980 for "states' rights" in Mississippi, where it was readily understood to be a defense of white racism, in the effort to corral those "Reagan Democrats." That's partly what got Reagan elected, he was prepared to exploit the not-so-latent racism of the previously Democratic South. And the flailing presidency of Georgia's Jimmy Carter, who was as doomed by the media - then coming more under corporate control - as Reagan was thus excused, indulged, and lucky, played into this scheme.)

Surprise! What you expect when you put an actor in the White House? Just as Bill Mayer posed, "What do you expect when you put a couple of oil men in the White House?" Clinton also ticked off the monied Republican establishment; a poor fatherless boy from Arkansas is not REALLY supposed to make it to Yale Law School and the Presidency!

But Bush is a degenerate form of this pattern. Bush gets shrill; his manufactured emotions drip off the sleeve. He pouts, whines, and yells when he doesn't get what he wants, or feels threatened. In the '04 debates, it was Kerry's time for rebuttal; Bush burst in, shouted moderator Charlie Gibson down, and started bellowing. A real take-charge guy. He embodies a well-known, hallowed, basic tenet of fascism, the apotheosis of action, the myth of the "strong leader," but one empty of any principles except those he pretends to the people to hold, in order to maintain his power and protect his real agenda, which is profoundly undemocratic.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 10:21 pm
@DecencyAdvocate,
lol man... if all I did was listen to you I'd never think the Democrats did anything wrong.
0 Replies

DecencyAdvocate

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
@DecencyAdvocate,
Brent;4991 wrote:
lol man... if all I did was listen to you I'd never think the Democrats did anything wrong.

Halo Brent, thanks for your reply. The point is not that the Democrats have done nothing wrong. Sure they have at different points. However, it's now the Republicans again who've been controlling the executive, legislative, and increasingly, the judicial branch. They have had the power for some years now. The wheel turns, the cycle progresses. It's their turn to take the heat for what they have done, and failed to do.

The old truisms are true. "What goes around comes around." It's always a bitter pill to swallow when any of us doesn't get what we want. By now Bush and his people have been caught in SO many lies, it's a wonder they haven't been drummed out of office already. Bush comparatively has been getting off lucky. How do you think he would handle the kind of beating Tony Blair takes in Britain's Parliamentary system? Clinton may have been an excessively self-absorbed individual. Bush whines and hisses. How do you think HE would handle getting impeached? Back inj 2000, reporters said that Governor Bush wasn't available for comment during the (aborted) Florida recount because he was "tired." Basically, he's a spoiled rich boy who has abused his privilege, beyond having had everything handed to him on a silver platter. He's passionate only in defending the interests of the rich monied class which in a moment of rare frankness, he addressed as "my base."

It's excruciating when he opens his mouth. Asked how he feels about the pitting of Karzai and Musharraf against each other, he says, "It'll be interesting to watch their body language, to watch how tense they might get...."

What?! Bush is now the Great Psychologist and Expert on Body Language? It reminds me of that chilling scene in "The Onion Field" where a psychopathic James Woods tells a young lad who approaches his cell door, "Come on in son, I'm just putting the finishing touches on a letter to my family...."

Do you put "finishing touches" on a letter to -- your family?

Is THAT all Bush can think of to say? The man wanted the jjob, but when asked to act with some dignity and gravitas in a difficult international moment, he turns glib, treats it like a joke, and says something stupid in an obvious attempt to divert attention away from his own ignorance. Asked to comment on a crucial international confrontation as the President of the U.S., he talks about -- "body language?!" Is he trying another piece of subliminal code -- "Trust me, because, ahah, I understand human psychology, and ahem, the human body." Code: "Watch MY moves!" It's very natcissistic, like so many people in his cabal. Not to mention, disrespectful, of two other heads-of-state whom he himself is supposed to support. Who's King George to say that he's going to observe the "body language" of two other state officials as if they were lab rats? It's beyond narcissistic. It's pointless.

The man is an embarrassment. Speaking of psychology, I've lost count of how many psychologists have noted that he sounds just like a dry drunk whenever he opens his mouth. As Jack Germond among others said in his book, Fat Man Fed Up, Bush is obviously out of his depth.

Democrats and Republicans? We've all heard enough to fill a library about Bill Clinton's sexual "addictions." Yet how much do you hear about Bush's history of alcohol and cocaine use - and its effects on a person's subsequent thinking and brain activity? Nada. What happened to all that stuff about Bush's National Guard records that cost Dan Rather HIS job? It disappeared, like everything else that caused this guy any embarrassment. And we keep hearing about the "liberal press?" If the press were half as liberal as the right-wing tinheads say it is, Bush would be as ridiculed in this country as he is in the rest of the world,.as the world's laughing stock. But people aren't exactly laughing.-- he has his finger on the big button. That's why Bush is not funny. I'm all for a good healthy laugh. But Politics and Government are not a joke.

Katrina: Bush struts around and says, "Brownie, here, he's doin' a heckuva job." I suspect he's not really interested in doing what it takes to do his job. What really turns him on is the satisfaction of just beating his opponent in an election, and in cajoling, charming, and duping enough people to buy his carefully constructed images to cast their vote for him.

Yet Bush gets away with a lot. Trouble is, as an Australian contact I know said, "When I came to the U.S., I was shocked at how little in the way of world news Americans actually get in thieir own country."

"Freedom" and "Free Press" are relative terms. There is a whole lot about these people that is kept under wraps. You know it as well as I.
And let's not forget the famous 2003 pronouncement "Mission Accomplished." That and its many correlative Bush falsehoods dwarf Clinton's "I never had sexual relations with that woman." A big reason why Starr and the Republicans were able to get so much mileage out of it, is that the nation is simultaneously confused, hypocritical, and fascinated with sex. Strange, how Republicans always manage to look so sacrosanct and a-sexual.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 06:15 pm
@DecencyAdvocate,
Ummm... with the way Washington Post and the New York Times are getting all these classified documents and exposing them... It sure seems strange they would keep any scandal under wraps. Im sure they are just being polite.

Wait, there was a scandal today in the Washington Post! Laura Bush read "Lady Chatterleys Lover" in High School! washingtonpost.com

Dear LAAAWD!! Lauras going to hell! Thats right HAAAAAIIILLLL!!! Where your flesh burns off, grows back, burns off again.. snakes crawlin' through your eyes..the whole nine yards! (Old SNL skit) lol
DecencyAdvocate

Reply Wed 27 Sep, 2006 09:14 pm
@GoodBoy,
GoodBoy;5000 wrote:
Ummm... with the way Washington Post and the New York Times are getting all these classified documents and exposing them... It sure seems strange they would keep any scandal under wraps. Im sure they are just being polite.

Wait, there was a scandal today in the Washington Post! Laura Bush read "Lady Chatterleys Lover" in High School! washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

Dear LAAAWD!! Lauras going to hell! Thats right HAAAAAIIILLLL!!! Where your flesh burns off, grows back, burns off again.. snakes crawlin' through your eyes..the whole nine yards! (Old SNL skit) lol

Thanks there Goodboy for your entertaining post. Actually, what I meant and should have said is that Republican MEN always seem to be so sacrosanct and a-sexual (in public that is).

I can't remember where but some commentator once mentioned how much of a thing Republican women seem to have for (lusty) Democratic men. I was brought up a Baptist and my dear, departed mother was as true and deeply compassionate a Christian at heart as anyone I've ever known. But my gawwd, she never wore it on her sleeve or made as much of a public show of it as these characters like Bush, Frist, and Co. or any of a number of the whole slew of 'em now controlling the White House, Congress, and the less-than-Supreme Court.
0 Replies

billyc5

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 09:58 pm
@DecencyAdvocate,
You people stand by and let bush and his henchman destory america in the name of religion.They will all have to answer for these things on judgment day and i would hate to be in spot they are headed for.Idon't like hot climates.
0 Replies

GoodBoy

Reply Sun 15 Oct, 2006 10:13 pm
@DecencyAdvocate,
I'd have it no other way... and by the way, Go read your Bible so you will know how to get to heaven. Trying to protect your country isn't an option.
0 Replies