Why don't we care?

markx15

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:12 am
What is it with the world in general that people maintain a great amount of indiference towards social issues such as poverty in other countries? Is there an especific reason for our lack of concern? It wouldn't cost all that much to end poverty worldwide, we've had enough resources since the 1950's. I feel frustrated in this sense, because many of the conflicts that break out everywhere are caused by neglected social issues, imagine how much better the world would be without them. Have we been moving forward in this issue? Is the world taking greater notice of their fellow humans problems? We were forced to notice the problems in the middle east because of the terrorist attacks, is that the only way to get the world's attention? As individuals we can't personally do much to actually change the situation in a broader scenario, but we can make these issues important to ourselves, and by discussing them with others we bring this situation to the common man and woman, and no other class has more power and less ability to wield it than the average middle class citizen. Themore important we make this to ourselves, the more our governments will have to adress it to gain our vote, let us do some manipulating of our own, but this time lets get somewhere. I for one do not wish to be remembered as just one more person who let the world do as it wished. I'm done living and leting live, if noone will take a stand, then I will.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,246 • Replies: 69
No top replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 11:47 am
@markx15,
well okay, so stop with the complaining about others and do something...
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 05:02 pm
@markx15,
I care, but there are those globally hell bent on distroying the planet for their own greater good.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 06:58 pm
@markx15,
Quote:
something...

Any ideas on that?
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 08:04 pm
@markx15,
oh come on mark, l am sure you can come up with great ideas on your own...
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 08:57 pm
@markx15,
You can never have too much imput.
0 Replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 02:45 am
@markx15,
When I was much younger , I joined the Peace Corps and went to Tanzania to teach school and build schools . That option is still open to you .
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 07:48 am
@markx15,
write up you views and have people sign it and send it to every member of parliment...oh wait you live in Rio...to every government offical.

write for the newspaper...have a column with a title "on the mark" and don't be afraid to throw up your views, because even if you are wrong, you will get people thinking.

create a story or a painting that shows some aspect of your world that could use some help. This could be a young person living on the street, this could be garbage and litter, this could be waste of environmental resources.

Gather some friends with similar talent and combine your skills to produce a exhibit, or a play, or a concert, and raise money for a cause, you will also raise awareness....
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 09:39 am
@markx15,
Thanks for the ideas, I will try anything that I can.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 05:03 pm
@markx15,
wow mark, everytime l listen to you l see an inspiring spirit...
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Mon 29 Jan, 2007 06:09 pm
@markx15,
Thank you, that means I'm going in the right direction.
0 Replies

Dmizer

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 11:00 am
@markx15,
Why don't we care?
Who says we don't care, the US and it's population give more money, time and effort to help other countires and there populations then all of the other countries combined. The fact that a majority of this aid is squandered through corruption and graft in the aid recipient's own country is beyond our control. We give alot, then we get criticized when we Americans wish to protect our own interests. We single handily bail out countries struck by natural disasters, and not only do we get no thanks, but we are criticized and accused of imperialism. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
When will these down trodden people of poor countries take matters into their own hands? If you live in a desert then expect to go hungry, you cant grow food in a desert, so move already. If your dictator is stealing all your money then revolt and stop being sheep. I believe Americans did something similiar in the late 1770's. The funny thing about sheep, you can plant new grass seed and water it, you can do your best to nurture the grass to make sure there is enough to go around, but the sheep will still nibble it down to the root, destroying the grass plant. The US is like that grass plant, and the rest of the world are the sheep.
Drnaline

Reply Wed 31 Jan, 2007 10:52 pm
@markx15,
I agree bigD.
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 07:34 am
@markx15,
The OP said "It wouldn't cost all that much to end poverty worldwide, we've had enough resources since the 1950's."

Can you explain your comment?
How much would it "cost" to end poverty worldwide?
What is the definition of poverty?

Is it our fault that people in Africa have been living the same way for the past 3,000 years?
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Sat 3 Feb, 2007 08:38 am
@markx15,
I totally agree with you dmizer, the US takes on a huge amount of world-wide aid and leadership in the world...and as a neighbour l am very grateful.

I do think that the world is full of abundance, and it is a myth that there is not enough to go around. It is like the Christian thinking l was raised in that the best people accepted poverty. In fact, the bible teaches you to accept abundance, and it is all their for whoever desires it. Desire is the key word, and since most people accept that the world has limited abundance then they are desiring less than what is possible.

World poverty can absolutely be erased but it is more an obstacle with a mindset. And example of this was on Oprah. They took a street person and follwed him around for a few weeks then gave him 100,000.00 US. within months he had spent it and was back living on the streets.

the lesson? Mindset.

Still so much can be done, opportunities can make a huge difference. Their is a need to involve 'understanding" at a deeper level before further charity happens. Iraq is such a powerful lesson. The charity and actions of the US and Canadians were huge, and yet in hindsight, it was necessary to gather greater insight than what was percieved as the truth on the surface of the situation.

Understanding the strong roots of a culture that is driven by religion is vital.

What l wish l could learn is why with all the billions of dollars gathered by the UN for oil profits {500, 000 a week since the beginning of the war] is sitting in a bank, while all these expenses are being taken on as charity by other countries? Why is the US not compensated with some {a tiny dent in the billions} of this money gathered and saved from corruption and terrorism groups?????

I believe that the recent scam where the iraqi government officals mettled with the construction work being done by the US increasing the costs significantly {by wanting a luxury facility for their soldiers}, is a wake-up call for the entire world. They don't need a free lunch ---there is a smogasboard just down the hall!!!!

As for Africa, l think every nation that robbed that country with the unmaginable cruelty of the slave trade should still feel the responsibility of helping them in any way possible. Again, it is important to understand the extremely changing face of Africa, and to do everything to understand about the community and how aid will be monitored. In addition, there is no point in continueing to provide bandaids for a deeper infection. The cultural roots of Islamic Laws are cruel to non-muslims and children and women, this is the core of the spreading hiv, and other sexual diseases.

The knowledge is making change and now the FMG IS outlawed, at least the way it was done, five years ago, by way of the community women gathering a child or two and then performing without any pain medication the cruel FMG proceedure.This is still done, but now legally must be performed in a hospital.
0 Replies

Red cv

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 04:24 pm
@markx15,
The first step in aiding the worlds suffering is "Wacking" tribal leaders who steal the food and medicine to sell on the black market. 80 percent of Aide world wide is stolen by the very leaders of the people in need. Stealing and bribery is the only things these so called leaders know, the suffering of their people don't seem to bother them unless a camera is aimed at their faces. Nigeria, is a prime example of these scum sucking pigs.
0 Replies

Tulip cv

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:43 pm
@markx15,
swine...:cool:
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 06:45 pm
@markx15,
I can find no peacefull way to end this corruption, they also have almost no good examples to follow...
0 Replies

z0z0

Reply Mon 5 Feb, 2007 08:55 pm
@markx15,
The solution is based on the following concept.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day.
Teach a man how to catch fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
0 Replies

markx15

Reply Tue 6 Feb, 2007 01:01 am
@markx15,
What use can it be to teach a man to fish if someone steals it?
0 Replies