Do you think there should be more than 2 parties in the runnings?

rex b

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
I know you might say well there are more than 1 parties running, but come on there are really 2 parties that really matter.

I wish we could have 3-5 parties running for President or any elected seat. Where is our democracy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 12:35 pm
@rex b,
It would help if more than 2 parties were involved in the Presidential debate like Ross Perot was.
0 Replies

jatuab

Reply Thu 22 Jun, 2006 01:59 pm
@rex b,
In a two-party system, no. It would be a good idea to have more representation, but critics claim the lack of progress in European parliaments are reason enough not to transform out system. I don't really align with the beliefs of any one party as it is, so it wouldn't help me much anyways.
SVTRob

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 12:29 am
@jatuab,
jatuab;3991 wrote:
In a two-party system, no. It would be a good idea to have more representation, but critics claim the lack of progress in European parliaments are reason enough not to transform out system. I don't really align with the beliefs of any one party as it is, so it wouldn't help me much anyways.

While I think three or more parties would be more democratic. It's almost impossible to get things done at times, so I agree.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 25 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
@rex b,
With more then two you end up with voting blocks, which in todays law making apparatus, it also leads to votes for the highest bidder.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:22 pm
@Drnaline,
Multi-party systems often lead to temporary coalitions , which more often than not do not last as long as the term of office . This is why you see leadership changes in some foreign governments so often . Some countries need new elections more often than the time frame we are accustomed to , because their system needs them after coalitions fail mid term . Doesn't seem stable to me .
0 Replies