Sanctions on Iran

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
Below is a list of some sanctions that may be used against Iran:

International sanctions - punitive measures adopted by a country or group of countries against another nation for political reasons
Diplomatic sanctions - the reduction or removal of diplomatic ties, such as embassies.
Economic sanctions - typically a ban on trade, possibly limited to certain sectors such as armaments, or with certain exceptions (such as food and medicine)
Military sanctions - military intervention
Trade sanctions - economic sanctions applied for non-political reasons, typically as part of a trade dispute, or for purely economic reasons, and typically involving tariffs or similar measures, rather than bans.

Which sanctions do you think would be the most effective?

International sanctions would be effective, but whats the chance of getting Russia and China to go along with them. They both have big oil contracts with Iran.

Diplomatic sanctions are usless in this case.IMO

Economic sanctions. Again the Russia and China oil contracts are a big factor . Iran relys heavily on their oil revenue, but who will convince Russia and China to stop oil shipments?

Military sanctions. I see this as a last resort. A naval blockade could cause a lot of problems. I think that if it comes to military operations, all hell will break loose. Iran could mine the Straight of Hormuz or hit ships with their mobile defense systems. This could lead to a ground attack or aerial assault. If this happens, I look for Iran to start firing missles at Isaeral. At that point, anything could happen.

Trade sanctions. Effective, but once again, wiil enough countries help enforce it?

Russia and China seem to be a big factor in sanctions. At this point I'm not convinced they will help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,827 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Brent cv

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 10:53 am
@tumbleweed cv,
The only thing that will work is if China and Russia stand with us or we invade them imo. Nothing else will hurt them.
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 06:34 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
U N sanctions have not worked in that area in the past , why would we expect them to work now?
The UN has no power nor will to make their sanctions work . I agree , the only way to settle this is for China and Russia to convince Iran that they should come into the 21st century .
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:57 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Relying on China and Russia isn't a very good bet either. That leaves us with the last resort. Kill kill kill.
tumbleweed cv

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 09:24 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
Relying on China and Russia isn't a very good bet either. That leaves us with the last resort. Kill kill kill.

I think we have to rely on China and Russia, as they are both major trading partners with Iran. Both countries have invested heavily in Iran as they have signed long term oil contracts. Russia is the one who can calm things down. They have offered to let Iran enrich their uranium over there, so if Irans intentions are for peaceful purposes, they have a way out of this mess.

Kill,kill,kill? I think it's a bit early to consider this approach. First, we don't have enough troops for an invasion on Iran. Second, why do we have to be the country policing the ME.? They can't strike the US with any missles. The only country they are currently threatening is Israel, who have enough weapons to blow Iran right off the map.

I'm in favor of other nations taking the lead on this one. Threatening Iran with force just made matters worse. Mentioning the word sanctions made oil prices go. A military attack on the 5th largest supplier of oil will drive the price of oil so high, every economy in the world would suffer. But it's not just the loss of oil supplies from Iran thats the problem. It's the fact that they are located along the major shipping channel of the ME. That presents all kinds of problems. Interupting the flow of oil out of that region seems to be as big of a threat as any bombs they may develop.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 06:15 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Relying on two comunist nations to put pressure on another nation at the expence of there lively hood. Not gonna happen. All three are advisarys of ours. All three would like to see our demise.

It my be premature for an invasion but mark my words. That is the way it will end up. We don't need troops to destroy there nukaler program. We only need them to verify the damage was sufficient. IMO we have to take the lead because europe will wait untill doomsday. Then it is too late. I'd pay 10/20 bucks a gallon if it would eliminate Iran out of the equastion. When we went into Afgan and Iraq the prices didn't go up that much and were influenct more by hurricanes then anything else. The price will come back down after Iran is stabilised.
0 Replies

tyke1290 cv

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:04 am
@tumbleweed cv,
To #4....
typical response....kill, kill, kill. Iran is a signee to the NPT and does have every right to nuclear power. Bombing and killing is the resort of bullies who rely in prejudice without knowledge. The US has NOT SHOWN the world one iota ofabsolute, unvarnished proof that Iran is doing anything other than she says she is. Threats and bullying don't win friends or elicit information - it produces absolute and total stubbornness which Iran is displaying. After all, the US has been threatening this country for years. It strikes me as pretty two-faced that Israel and India never signed ANY NPT but the USA isn't the least bit concerned and worse, would stand by and allow Israel to nuke Iran if it wanted too. But you know what? Israel is going to let you do it and keep their hands 'clean' and allow the world to condemn you for the brutality of such an attack, not to mention the the possible release of nuclear dust(?) across the world. Really brilliant thinking guys.
Drnaline

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:22 am
@tyke1290 cv,
tyke1290 wrote:
To #4....
typical response....kill, kill, kill. Iran is a signee to the NPT and does have every right to nuclear power. Bombing and killing is the resort of bullies who rely in prejudice without knowledge. The US has NOT SHOWN the world one iota ofabsolute, unvarnished proof that Iran is doing anything other than she says she is. Threats and bullying don't win friends or elicit information - it produces absolute and total stubbornness which Iran is displaying. After all, the US has been threatening this country for years. It strikes me as pretty two-faced that Israel and India never signed ANY NPT but the USA isn't the least bit concerned and worse, would stand by and allow Israel to nuke Iran if it wanted too. But you know what? Israel is going to let you do it and keep their hands 'clean' and allow the world to condemn you for the brutality of such an attack, not to mention the the possible release of nuclear dust(?) across the world. Really brilliant thinking guys.
Quote:
Iran is a signee to the NPT and does have every right to nuclear power.

No they do not, they are in violation of the agreement they signed. Why were they referred to the UN? For Not playing nice.

Quote:
Bombing and killing is the resort of bullies who rely in prejudice without knowledge.

Yup that is what they do, suicide bomb and kill. Who are bullying there way in the middle east. We do as well but in a much grander scale. Iran is in our site.
Quote:
The US has NOT SHOWN the world one iota ofabsolute, unvarnished proof that Iran is doing anything other than she says she is.

So the IAIE refering them means nothing to you. Live feed of them breaking the seals on the reactor the the IAIE sealed is nothing. It is not up to the US to show anything. We are the attack dog. Europe had two years of diplomacy with Iran and it got then nowhere. Now it's are turn.
Quote:
Threats and bullying don't win friends or elicit information - it produces absolute and total stubbornness which Iran is displaying.

We are playing there same game now, threats and bullying. Europe hat there chance, now the big dog is coming. If we were looking to make friends Sklinton would stillbe in office. Maybe hand them a nuke reactor like back in the day.
Quote:
After all, the US has been threatening this country for years.

I think Iran has been doing a little more then threatening. The USS Cole ring a bell, what about Lebanon?
Quote:
It strikes me as pretty two-faced that Israel and India never signed ANY NPT but the USA isn't the least bit concerned and worse, would stand by and allow Israel to nuke Iran if it wanted too.

When some one threatens to wipe you off the map and there iranian i would take it serious. Preemption is key to there existence. Easy to see when the rest of the world wants you dead.
Quote:
But you know what? Israel is going to let you do it and keep their hands 'clean' and allow the world to condemn you for the brutality of such an attack, not to mention the the possible release of nuclear dust(?) across the world. Really brilliant thinking guys.

Who care what the rest of the world thinks? Beside you and the rest of your libby friends. So what is your plan for this delema, if you have one. What do you propose, other then whining?
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 03:53 pm
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
The only thing that will work is if China and Russia stand with us or we invade them imo. Nothing else will hurt them.

Russia warned the US today not to pressure Iran.

foxnews.com wrote:
A top Kremlin diplomat warned against threatening Iran with sanctions or the use of force, saying that would only aggravate the international standoff over Tehran's suspect nuclear program, Russian media reports said Saturday.

FOXNews.com - Russia: Don't Pressure Iran Over Nuclear Program - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 05:07 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
Well Russia is next!

Seriously, Russia is pathetic. I wonder how Iran is paying them off?
ndjs

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 10:44 pm
@tumbleweed cv,
I wonder if Russia even needs any payment or incentive. They're probably just like **** those yanks, lol
0 Replies

tikala

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 08:38 am
@Brent cv,
Brent wrote:
Well Russia is next!

Seriously, Russia is pathetic. I wonder how Iran is paying them off?

With oil exploration contracts. China has that too.

Iraq nationalized its oil and kicked the US and UK out.

That's why US and UK invaded Iraq to get/steal those "rights" back.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 08:56 am
@tumbleweed cv,
We did not steal them, we took them by force, LOL. Stealing implys we sneaked in and took them. I think everyone new we were coming being that everybody in congress with exception of one voted to kick there ass. Next thing coming is how you were lied to by some one who couldn't out smart a tree, right?
Quote:
That's why US and UK invaded Iraq to get/steal those "rights" back.

Steal those "rights" back? You mean we had them in the first place? We'll then we had a legal right to get them back if we were under contract! They should of taken it up with the world court! On second thought it was easier to invade.
tikala

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 05:10 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
We did not steal them, we took them by force, LOL. Stealing implys we sneaked in and took them. I think everyone new we were coming being that everybody in congress with exception of one voted to kick there ass. Next thing coming is how you were lied to by some one who couldn't out smart a tree, right?

Steal those "rights" back? You mean we had them in the first place? We'll then we had a legal right to get them back if we were under contract! They should of taken it up with the world court! On second thought it was easier to invade.

>>We did not steal them, we took them by force.<<

Right, in street language, that is plain robbery.

>>You mean we had them in the first place?<<

Yes we had the contract to explore Iraq's oil. But Saddam nationalized the oil, paid compensation according to international law and kicked the Americans and Britons out.
Drnaline

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 05:58 pm
@tikala,
tikala wrote:
>>We did not steal them, we took them by force.<<

>>You mean we had them in the first place?<<

Yes we had the contract to explore Iraq's oil. But Saddam nationalized the oil, paid compensation according to international law and kicked the Americans and Britons out.

Quote:

I'm sure it made the real countrys that were in it for the oil somewhat dismayed.Like Russia, France, Germany. In any case i'm sure you have heard the term "To the victor goes the spoils".
Quote:

So Saddam breached his contract? How dare he? By compensation do you mean oil for food?
Lasombra

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:25 am
@Drnaline,
All you need to do is cut off the flow of gasoline to Iran.

The country would be crippled within the month.
tikala

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:00 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
I'm sure it made the real countrys that were in it for the oil somewhat dismayed.Like Russia, France, Germany. In any case i'm sure you have heard the term "To the victor goes the spoils".

So Saddam breached his contract? How dare he? By compensation do you mean oil for food?

No, compensation according to international law.

Saddam nationalized Iraq's oil in the 1980s.

>>You've heard the bell ringing but you don't know where the clapper hangs"
0 Replies

tikala

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 07:09 am
@Lasombra,
Lasombra wrote:
All you need to do is cut off the flow of gasoline to Iran.

The country would be crippled within the month.

I agree. Invade Iran just like Iraq.
Better still, use the Nuclear bomb then all oil and the people in that part of the world will be blown to pieces, not in a month, in a whimp, like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We are known in the world today for mass-killers, anyway
Brent cv

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 10:10 pm
@tikala,
tikala wrote:
Better still, use the Nuclear bomb then all oil and the people in that part of the world will be blown to pieces, not in a month, in a whimp, like Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

We are not known as mass killers. Smile Can you please not over exaggerate your comments.
Drnaline

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 05:50 am
@tikala,
tikala wrote:

By mass killers i would take it as being the baddest mofo's on the planet.