The forgotten continent

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 04:58 pm
Poverty, disease and war are all that Africa is known for. Millions have died in senseless wars, poverty and disease. The west is not taking a pro-active role to avert crises or up coming crises in countries like Uganda where the head of state has imprisoned political opponents and put an end to mushrooming democracy.

Uganda is at the verge of a major crisis and we appeal to the intervention of the west to avert destruction and loss of life.

percy Tumusiime
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,501 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:16 am
@Tumusiime Percy David,
I , and many others in the States have not forgotten Africa .

I personally have seen what happens when some African governments are helped by the USA and other countries . Many times the level of corruption is so high that aid is as useless as the small boy's finger in the dike .

Africans need to look within to solve their problems . Quit electing and/or supporting the same leaders over and over , find leaders that will lead instead of building their own wealth and power at the expense of the masses .

More dollars funneled into the corrupt politicians hands will not help .

Millions of dollars have been sent to Africa and simply vanished !
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:47 am
@Curmudgeon,
What is the political situation in Uganda presently ?

I know Tanzania recently had elections , as did Kenya a short while ago .
0 Replies

Brent cv

Reply Fri 23 Dec, 2005 01:50 am
@Tumusiime Percy David,
I am a firm believer that money does not fix problems. This can be seen everywhere. In the United States with their Education system and in Africa where so much aide is given yet barely any reaches the people who need due to corruption like Curmudgeon has said.

Before we can be of assistance to Africa financially somethings must happen.

* We must intervene with force. This is not a popular option now more than ever.

* The people of Africa need to force change via a revolution which if occured the United States could assist in.

The leaders in there now are not going to leave on their own. We keep funding them. They use our aide money to buy themselves what they want. They will only leave once we use force or the citizens themselves use force.
0 Replies

Tumusiime Percy David

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 03:54 am
@Tumusiime Percy David,
It does not have to be Aid, action can be;

For western leaders to openly speak out.

Sanctions can be imposed on travel of leaders and their families.

Foreign bank accounts can be frozen.

Uganda was recently fined USD10billion for the role of it's military in plundering resources of Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). It is the poor hard working Ugandan that is going to foot this bill.

All I see for countries like Uganda is doom, doom, doom if we do not get foreign intervention.

Percy

Read these local Ugandan papers, trying going to the Monitor forum

www.monitor.co.ug
www.newvision.co.ug
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 09:37 am
@Tumusiime Percy David,
David, i would start writing letters to congressman, the media. I don't know if you are located in the US? I'm sure it seems to you most are oblivious to Africa's plight. We are not, but are much in the same situation as you. There are many countrys in need of our intervention but as well we always get chastized for doing so. As much as we would like to think, we are not the saviors of the world. Only one person has that distinction. All i can suggest is the process starts with you. While it does help to make others aware, we are not the powers that be. Many a crusade started with a letter. Push, push, push until you think it is for not and then maybe you will have done some good. It's a long hard road that you will someday wonder if you've done any good? At that point then you can say you've tried which in the end is about all you can do. I'm not meaning to put a damper on you, moreso a fire is my game. I think most here would be willing to help, but for I, it would be conditional on your drive and conviction?
Tumusiime Percy David

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 02:12 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline wrote:
David, i would start writing letters to congressman, the media. I don't know if you are located in the US? I'm sure it seems to you most are oblivious to Africa's plight. We are not, but are much in the same situation as you. There are many countrys in need of our intervention but as well we always get chastized for doing so. As much as we would like to think, we are not the saviors of the world. Only one person has that distinction. All i can suggest is the process starts with you. While it does help to make others aware, we are not the powers that be. Many a crusade started with a letter. Push, push, push until you think it is for not and then maybe you will have done some good. It's a long hard road that you will someday wonder if you've done any good? At that point then you can say you've tried which in the end is about all you can do. I'm not meaning to put a damper on you, moreso a fire is my game. I think most here would be willing to help, but for I, it would be conditional on your drive and conviction?

Thanks for that. I actually live in the UK.

What we are asking for is not military intervention but just a mention of what is happening in some countries like Uganda.
Ugandans and similarly, Zimbabweans who have been very out spoken without a collective international effort are languishing in jail.

Secondly, why send money in form of Aid to despots who end up enriching themselves and not the country.

While we appeal to developed coutries that support uganda financially, we are fighting through the media back home although there not much freedom of speech or expression.
Brent cv

Reply Sun 25 Dec, 2005 04:10 pm
@Tumusiime Percy David,
Tumusiime Percy David wrote:
Thanks for that. I actually live in the UK.

What we are asking for is not military intervention but just a mention of what is happening in some countries like Uganda.
Ugandans and similarly, Zimbabweans who have been very out spoken without a collective international effort are languishing in jail.

Secondly, why send money in form of Aid to despots who end up enriching themselves and not the country.

While we appeal to developed coutries that support uganda financially, we are fighting through the media back home although there not much freedom of speech or expression.

I believe we all agree with you it just is harder to get those in power to do what we believe is right Smile
0 Replies

ndjs

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 01:58 am
@Tumusiime Percy David,
I'm a firm believer in Dave Matthews. (He's a musician in case you don't know him percy)

He said, "Need Help? Call: 1-800-HELP YOURSELF!"
Curmudgeon

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 07:41 am
@ndjs,
Percy ( may we call you Percy?) , you are doing right by talking to us and others to foster awareness of the situation in Uganda and Africa . You should continue to join discussion groups , talk to people , stand up for your country , continue your education , and be a voice for your country and people .
Many Americans have little idea what the situations in Africa are , much less the political upheavals that plague Africa . We see only what our media shows us , except for those of us who are seeking information through the net and forums such as this one .
Those of us who served in the Peace Corps in years past offer our viewpoints here and in other forums , but it takes more current experience from someone like yourself to keep us up to date .
0 Replies