0
   

Joe Biden's Mythical Blue-Collar Roots

 
 
Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2008 09:25 pm
http://townhall.com/columnists/SteveChapman/2008/08/31/joe_bidens_mythical_blue-collar_roots

Joe Biden once got in trouble for plagiarizing a speech and inflating his academic record. So it will not surprise you to find that his famous working-class background turns out to be mythical. But it may surprise you to learn that Biden isn't the one who has trouble with the facts.

In his Wednesday night speech at the Democratic convention, Biden referred to "those of us who grew up in middle-class neighborhoods like Scranton and Wilmington." In the video preceding his address, he said that the people he knew as a boy didn't regard themselves as working class but as middle class.

So what did the news media report? "Sen. Joseph R. Biden accepted the vice presidential nomination of the Democratic Party with a speech that harkened back to his working-class roots in Scranton," said The Washington Post. The Wall Street Journal informed readers that "Sen. Joe Biden showcased his working-class upbringing." The New York Times said he "spoke frequently, and earnestly, of his blue-collar background."

No, he didn't. In fact, he did just the opposite. Anyone paying attention would have noticed as much. But the legend of Joe Biden, born in a welding shop, dies hard with political reporters, who find it easier to romanticize a gritty, hardscrabble childhood than a conventionally comfortable one.

The facts are there for anyone who wants to look at them. When Joe Biden Sr. died in 2002, his obituary in the News-Journal of Wilmington reported that when he married in 1941, "he was working as a sales representative for Amoco Oil Co. in Harrisburg."

It went on, "Biden also was an executive in a Boston-based company that supplied waterproof sealant for U.S. merchant marine ships built during World War II. After the war, he co-owned an airport and crop-dusting service on Long Island." Upon moving his family to Delaware, the News-Journal said, Biden "worked in the state first as a sales manager for auto dealerships and later in real-estate condominium sales."

Executive, co-owner and manager? Those titles identify the jobholder as solidly middle class, if not better. They fall in the category of white-collar occupations, not blue-collar.
______________________________

click for the rest
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 783 • Replies: 14
No top replies

 
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 01:03 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59181 wrote:
Steve Chapman :: Townhall.com :: Joe Biden's Mythical Blue-Collar Roots

Joe Biden once got in trouble for plagiarizing a speech and inflating his academic record. So it will not surprise you to find that his famous working-class background turns out to be mythical. But it may surprise you to learn that Biden isn't the one who has trouble with the facts.

In his Wednesday night speech at the Democratic convention, Biden referred to "those of us who grew up in middle-class neighborhoods like Scranton and Wilmington." In the video preceding his address, he said that the people he knew as a boy didn't regard themselves as working class but as middle class.

So what did the news media report? "Sen. Joseph R. Biden accepted the vice presidential nomination of the Democratic Party with a speech that harkened back to his working-class roots in Scranton," said The Washington Post. The Wall Street Journal informed readers that "Sen. Joe Biden showcased his working-class upbringing." The New York Times said he "spoke frequently, and earnestly, of his blue-collar background."

No, he didn't. In fact, he did just the opposite. Anyone paying attention would have noticed as much. But the legend of Joe Biden, born in a welding shop, dies hard with political reporters, who find it easier to romanticize a gritty, hardscrabble childhood than a conventionally comfortable one.

The facts are there for anyone who wants to look at them. When Joe Biden Sr. died in 2002, his obituary in the News-Journal of Wilmington reported that when he married in 1941, "he was working as a sales representative for Amoco Oil Co. in Harrisburg."

It went on, "Biden also was an executive in a Boston-based company that supplied waterproof sealant for U.S. merchant marine ships built during World War II. After the war, he co-owned an airport and crop-dusting service on Long Island." Upon moving his family to Delaware, the News-Journal said, Biden "worked in the state first as a sales manager for auto dealerships and later in real-estate condominium sales."



If the facts are out there for anyone to see, then please show them.

Quote:
Executive, co-owner and manager? Those titles identify the jobholder as solidly middle class, if not better. They fall in the category of white-collar occupations, not blue-collar.


Really? My boss would like a word with you, Sanchez.
0 Replies
 
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:19 pm
@Drnaline,
Send him down, you know the address.
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:30 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59728 wrote:
Send him down, you know the address.


Ah, so you admit you've been running around here using several usernames after being previously banned... twice.

Again, you fail to show the facts that you claim, in regards to your posting. At least that hasn't changed.
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:50 pm
@Sabz5150,
Sabz5150;59730 wrote:
Ah, so you admit you've been running around here using several usernames after being previously banned... twice.

Again, you fail to show the facts that you claim, in regards to your posting. At least that hasn't changed.
Well, read through the site, you might just find your answer.
marcus cv
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
@Drnaline,
"worked in the state first as a sales manager for auto dealerships and later in real-estate condominium sales."

It doesn't look too prestigious to me. And the fact is you don't find a poor president or vice president.
0 Replies
 
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2008 10:11 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59734 wrote:
Well, read through the site, you might just find your answer.


Well there was only one person gullible enough to be snookered out of their complete home address...
0 Replies
 
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 07:48 am
@Drnaline,
I wasn't snookered, i asked if you wanted it, guess what your answer was?
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2008 08:08 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59782 wrote:
I wasn't snookered, i asked if you wanted it, guess what your answer was?


I said I'd love to.

Now, wasn't somebody saying how they were scared about what big bad ol me would do with such info? I'm thinking so! Oh, BTW, what did that "detective" ever tell you in the end? :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:
0 Replies
 
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:41 am
@Drnaline,
I'm still waiting. A man of your word you are not.
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 02:21 am
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59869 wrote:
I'm still waiting. A man of your work you are not.


I also told you that *I* was going to do nothing. I just might have a good laugh one day on the six-o-clock Wink
0 Replies
 
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
@Drnaline,
You said that after you said something else.
Sabz5150
 
  1  
Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2008 07:50 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;59924 wrote:
You said that after you said something else.


Sure, I told you what could be done with this info and what a complete idiot you were for supplying it.

Of course, I would expect nothing less.
0 Replies
 
socalgolfguy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2008 02:49 am
@Drnaline,
How can a man with a bad hair plug job be so arrogant..?
0 Replies
 
Drnaline
 
  1  
Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 09:53 pm
@Drnaline,
Lol!!
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Obama '08? - Discussion by sozobe
Let's get rid of the Electoral College - Discussion by Robert Gentel
McCain's VP: - Discussion by Cycloptichorn
Food Stamp Turkeys - Discussion by H2O MAN
The 2008 Democrat Convention - Discussion by Lash
McCain is blowing his election chances. - Discussion by McGentrix
Snowdon is a dummy - Discussion by cicerone imposter
GAFFNEY: Whose side is Obama on? - Discussion by gungasnake
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Joe Biden's Mythical Blue-Collar Roots
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.09 seconds on 06/18/2021 at 09:29:16