Your democratically elected congress

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 10:16 am
Zogby: Congress Gets Just 11% Approval, Lowest Ever - NewsMax - America's News Page

President George W. Bush and the U.S. Congress registered record-low approval ratings in a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Wednesday, and a new monthly index measuring the mood of Americans dipped slightly on deepening worries about the economy.

Only 29 percent of Americans gave Bush a positive grade for his job performance, below his worst Zogby poll mark of 30 percent in March. A paltry 11 percent rated Congress positively, beating the previous low of 14 percent in July.

The Reuters/Zogby Index, a new measure of the mood of the country, dropped from 100 to 98.8 in the last month on worries about the economy and fears of a recession, pollster John Zogby said.

"Since the last time we polled we have had the mortgage crisis, and we are hearing the recession word a whole lot more than we've heard it in the past," Zogby said.

"There are things that happened in the September polling that drove the number down a bit, and they are mostly economic worries," he added.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,175 • Replies: 15
No top replies

mlurp

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:13 pm
@Drnaline,
Some more on the lame duck Dems....

Democrats proceed with Iraq legislation - Yahoo! News
just in case you don't want to us ethe link.

Democrats proceed with Iraq legislation By ANNE FLAHERTY, Associated Press Writer
29 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats defiantly charged ahead Thursday with legislation ordering troops home from Iraq, still lacking the votes to win but armed with the mantra that Republicans, along with President Bush, now own the war.

ADVERTISEMENT

"They want this war more than they want to protect our soldiers," Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., told reporters. "When I say they want the war, they want to protect their president more than they want to protect our troops."

Reid spoke minutes after Republicans successfully pushed through, by a 72-25 vote, a resolution condemning an advertisement by the liberal activist group MoveOn.org. Displayed in The New York Times, the ad taunted Gen. David Petraeus, the top military commander in Iraq, as "General Betray Us."

Reid's tough rhetoric reflected frustration by Democrats that more Republicans haven't broken with Bush on the war. Several Republican senators had grown increasingly anxious throughout the summer about the violence in Iraq and lack of political progress in Baghdad.

But despite a small group of challengers to the war, the GOP largely has stood behind Bush. On Wednesday, Republicans blocked legislation by Sen. Jim Webb, D-Va., that would have guaranteed troops more time at home. On Thursday, the Senate voted 28-70 to block legislation sponsored by Reid and Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., that would have cut off funding for combat in June 2008.

"No matter where my colleagues came down in 2003 about the centrality of Iraq to the war on terror, there can simply be no debate that our efforts in Iraq today are critical to the wider struggle against violent Islamic extremism," said Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., the top Republican on the Armed Services Committee.

Sen. Gordon Smith, one of the few Republican senators who supports legislation ordering troop withdrawals, said he thought Petraeus' testimony last week and the MoveOn.org ad were the two biggest factors in keeping Republicans from breaking ranks with the president: Petraeus' testimony because it was persuasive and the ad because it attacked a popular uniformed officer.

"It was stupid on their part and disgraceful," said Smith, R-Ore.

GOP support also seemed to solidify after an aggressive outreach campaign by the Bush administration that continued this week.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates met on Thursday with nearly two dozen House Republicans, mostly moderates, to discuss Iraq. In a cramped conference room used by House Minority Whip Roy Blunt, R-Mo., Gates spent an hour fielding questions from the 23 lawmakers ranging from the chances of a political reconciliation in Baghdad to how to convince voters the war is worthwhile.

"I don't think anybody can be comfortable with the war," said Rep. J. Randy Forbes, a Republican from southeastern Virginia, who attended the meeting. But, he later added, "when we weigh the options that we have, I think the option Petraeus put forward is a sound one."

Gates also has reached out to Democrats, meeting privately with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., this week at the Pentagon and planning to sit down next week with House Democratic rank and file.

The defeat of Feingold and Reid's legislation, proposed as part of a broader Pentagon policy bill, was not a surprise. A similar measure failed in May by a 29-67 vote, with opposing Democrats saying they feared that yanking funding could hurt the troops.

Voting for the Reid-Feingold legislation on Thursday were Democratic presidential contenders Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York, Barack Obama of Illinois and Christopher Dodd of Connecticut. A fourth candidate, Sen. Joe Biden, D-Del., did not vote.

Twenty Democrats joined 49 Republicans and Sen. Joe Lieberman, an independent from Connecticut, in voting to block the bill.

Reid planned to try again Friday with another anti-war proposal by Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich. Levin's bill would order combat troops home in nine months. But that too was expected to fail, with Republicans saying they still opposed setting a firm deadline on the war.

Democrats had considered trying to push milder legislation, if doing so would mean attracting the 60 votes needed to overcome a Republican filibuster. But calculating they wouldn't have the votes either way, Reid announced this week he planned to offer only legislation that set a deadline to end the war.

In a White House news conference Thursday, Bush said the MoveOn.org ad was "disgusting" and he criticized Democrats for not immediately condemning it.

"And that leads me to come to this conclusion: that most Democrats are afraid of irritating a left-wing group like MoveOn.org, or more afraid of irritating them, then they are of irritating the United States military," Bush said.

Eli Pariser, executive director of the liberal group, responded: "What's disgusting is that the president has more interest in political attacks than developing an exit strategy to get our troops out of Iraq and end this awful war."

The resolution sponsored by Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas condemning the ad drew opposition from Clinton and Dodd.

Obama did not vote on that measure. But minutes earlier, he did support an alternative by Sen. Barbara Boxer that condemned the ad as well as previous attack ads that questioned the patriotism of Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and former Sen. Max Cleland, D-Ga., both Vietnam veterans.

"We're going to be pretty busy if we turn into the ad police," said Boxer, D-Calif.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 09:41 pm
@Drnaline,
You two ladies have it wrong (YET AGAIN)

It's NOT a democratically elected congress. It's a congress elected by the American people that just so happen to be democrats.

At least you could get your stories straight. LOL!
mlurp

Reply Thu 20 Sep, 2007 11:25 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
Man you have a real problem. And if my opinion isn't needed then this is the third thread I have unsubscribe to. Your right up there with another charmer aren't you?
FedUpAmerican

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 05:36 am
@mlurp,
mlurp;38434 wrote:
Man you have a real problem.

You're right. I have a problem with people telling lies and TRYING to pass it off as truth.
Curmudgeon

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 08:23 am
@Drnaline,
Your perception of what might be lies and his seem to differ.
aaronssongs

Reply Fri 21 Sep, 2007 10:22 am
@Curmudgeon,
Curmudgeon;38473 wrote:
Your perception of what might be lies and his seem to differ.

Exactly right.
"Conservatives' bane"....
I'm only now, starting to realize how clever.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:26 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;38404 wrote:

It's NOT a democratically elected congress. It's a congress elected by the American people that just so happen to be democrats.

At least you could get your stories straight. LOL!
Quote:
I got your lady hanging.
Quote:
Really, all of them are democrats?
Quote:
At least you could get your stories straight. LOL
Oh the irony.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2007 11:29 pm
@FedUpAmerican,
FedUpAmerican;38463 wrote:
You're right. I have a problem with people telling lies and TRYING to pass it off as truth.

Like lies of a right to privacy? You probably think there is something in the Constitution about Sep of Church and State?
0 Replies

g-man

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:15 am
@Drnaline,
In just one year . Remember the election in 2006?
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3.50 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Remember it's Congress that makes law not the President. He has to work with what's handed to him.

Quote of the Day........'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' -- Barack Obama
Sabz5150

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:28 am
@g-man,
g-man;57303 wrote:
In just one year . Remember the election in 2006?
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:

1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $3.50 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it!

Remember it's Congress that makes law not the President. He has to work with what's handed to him.

Quote of the Day........'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' -- Barack Obama

But also remember what it was like eight years ago. I remember 89 cent gasoline, a budget surplus and an economy in good condition.

Can't blame everything on this congress.
0 Replies

Sabz5150

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 05:36 am
@Drnaline,
Let me show you the photo I call "Eight Years Ago".

http://www.enginevoodoo.com/images/gasprice.jpg
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 06:44 am
@Drnaline,
You should of invested in oil.
Sabz5150

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:20 pm
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57364 wrote:
You should of invested in oil.

And you in education.
0 Replies

DiversityDriven

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 06:27 am
@Drnaline,
At least mine wasn't provided by the penal system, LOL.
Sabz5150

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 11:27 am
@DiversityDriven,
DiversityDriven;57375 wrote:
At least mine wasn't provided by the penal system, LOL.

Yes it was. You just don't know it.

Poor child. A pity it really is.

:rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh::rollinglaugh:
0 Replies