Now About That ABC/BBC Iraq Poll...

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:45 am
Now About That ABC/BBC Iraq Poll... | NewsBusters.org

The Democrats hit General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker with the results of an ABC/BBC poll of Iraqi citizens during the two days of testimony. Barbara Boxer was so immersed in the poll results that she couldn't even muster up a question for General Petraeus. Since the poll results were not released until Monday September 10, 2007, it left little time for an indepth look at the poll, the sampling size, the surveyors and the results from all the questions.

First of all - the sample size. The number of Iraqis questioned for the poll was approximately 2100 people. 2100 people in a country with an estimated population of 27,499,638 according to the CIA Factbook. That means the poll results were from 1/1000 of the population. How can a sample size that small even be considered partially representative of the population?

Next - the polling companies. The polls were managed by D3 Systems of Vienna, VA and KA Research Ltd of Istanbul. Both polling companies work with an all-Iraqi staff from in-country. I have no way of knowing the ulterior motives of the Iraqi staff members but recalling the number of "in-country" media stringers who have been involved with insurgents makes one wonder. Both companies have performed similar surveys for ABC and BBC prior to this one.

Some interesting interpretations. Click for the rest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 9
No top replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 11:46 am
@Drnaline,
If the poll had been about Ron Paul, it wouldn't have mattered about the polling size or demographic, it would be hailed as factual. Media bias is a horrible reality.
0 Replies

Freeman15

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 01:21 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36813 wrote:
Now About That ABC/BBC Iraq Poll... | NewsBusters.org

The Democrats hit General Petraeus and Ambassador Crocker with the results of an ABC/BBC poll of Iraqi citizens during the two days of testimony. Barbara Boxer was so immersed in the poll results that she couldn't even muster up a question for General Petraeus. Since the poll results were not released until Monday September 10, 2007, it left little time for an indepth look at the poll, the sampling size, the surveyors and the results from all the questions.

First of all - the sample size. The number of Iraqis questioned for the poll was approximately 2100 people. 2100 people in a country with an estimated population of 27,499,638 according to the CIA Factbook. That means the poll results were from 1/1000 of the population. How can a sample size that small even be considered partially representative of the population?

Next - the polling companies. The polls were managed by D3 Systems of Vienna, VA and KA Research Ltd of Istanbul. Both polling companies work with an all-Iraqi staff from in-country. I have no way of knowing the ulterior motives of the Iraqi staff members but recalling the number of "in-country" media stringers who have been involved with insurgents makes one wonder. Both companies have performed similar surveys for ABC and BBC prior to this one.

Some interesting interpretations. Click for the rest.

Yet we base media coverage of our presidential candidates based on polling which in some cases has a sample size no larger than 5,000 people. Polling blows, and isn't newsworthy. I stick to facts, like the spiraling death toll and budget deficit.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 04:58 pm
@Drnaline,
Gotta agree with you Freeman.
92, i guess ignore doesn't work if your the thread starter, LOL?
92b16vx

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:42 pm
@Drnaline,
Drnaline;36913 wrote:
Gotta agree with you Freeman.
92, i guess ignore doesn't work if your the thread starter, LOL?

If the topic looks interesting I'll click "view post".
Pinochet73

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:50 pm
@Drnaline,
As Bush would say, "You're the decider."
92b16vx

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 07:51 pm
@Pinochet73,
Pinochet73;36954 wrote:
As Bush would say, "You're the decider."

There ya go.
0 Replies

FedUpAmerican

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 09:05 pm
@Drnaline,
As bush would say....

um...ummm. <hack>.......

Ummmmmmm....aaaaa......we won't get fooled again.

Yeah that's it.

Stupid ass.
0 Replies

92b16vx

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 09:49 pm
@Drnaline,
Funny enough, after almost a year on the ground in country, 700+ missions outside the wire, and interactions with several hundred Iraqs ranging from dirt poor farmers, to military leaders, I didn't met one single Iraq that wanted America to stay in Iraq. They can critisize the poll all they want, and try to call into question the "data" till hell freezes over, but it sounds like it is pretty accurate.
0 Replies

Drnaline

Reply Thu 13 Sep, 2007 10:41 pm
@92b16vx,
92b16vx;36949 wrote:
If the topic looks interesting I'll click "view post".

It's always interesting where i am concerned, LOL.
0 Replies